Help us play these songs live please...

thom

• Members

Don't expect anything groundbreaking please. I guess it could come off as a weak d'ntel/lali puna rip-off, but I'm pretty sure that's just a coincidence. I hope this link works:

http://soundcloud.com/parcelsmusic/everything-is-practice?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fparcelsmusic%2Feverything-is-practice

These are all my buddy's songs, he did everything on his no-so-great laptop, with a free version of samplitude if I remember correctly. I know, it gets kinda boring, but it's still miles ahead of what I come up with these days, and I'm dying to play in ANY band again. I kinda dig most of it, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it would get 'lost in translation' if we did a half-ass job trying to play it live without any guidance and nothing but the wrong {censored}ty instruments...We're mainly guitarists, don't know much about computers, samplers or keyboards,...And we can't afford pricey stuff like a real rhodes keyboard or a some vintage synth or whatever.

So instead of clicking "play" on my buddy's daw, we'd somehow want to play as much as possible live in real time. I'd be awesome if someone who's more knowledgeable at this stuff could talk me through it step by step...

So what would be the best approach if we want as few people/instruments/laptops in the band as possible?

Thanks a lot.

• Members

If you're guitarists, why do you want to make non-guitar music?

If the answer is, because that's where our hearts are now, that's a good answer, but if you'll just decide in a month or two that you wanna go back to brootalz, then don't even waste your time...

If you are talking about that song as a stylistic direction, and you'd like it to be between the two of you, here's what I would suggest...

1st Guy

Get something like an Akai MPC500 (or 1000 if you can afford it) for the samples and the drum loops. Or a Roland SP-404.

Or, you could do the same with a Roland MC-909 or MC-808, or an Electribe ESX which I think have the advantage that you can setup as sequence of parts, and switch between them with a foot pedal (I think), while also being able to turn 16 parts on and off. These groove boxes I listed can load samples like the MPC.

So in addition to triggering the loops and turning parts on and off, first guy could be playing parts on a keyboard with Rhodes or other sounds. It could very well be a controller hooked up to a computer, why not. If not, there are synths that have alright Rhodes sounds in addition to synthesizer sounds - something like a Roland JX-305 would probably be perfect! Too bad it doesn't load samples, otherwise it would even substitute the groovebox/sample sequencer.

So, in review, first guy (your friend, I assume) would do the sequences and play the Rhodes/etc.

2nd guy (I guess, you!)

Get a MIDI pickup installed on your guitar, or a guitar with a MIDI pickup. Now you'll be able to both create guitar sounds with textures (assuming you have the pedals for it), but also switch to play synth sounds like pads and drones with your guitar, to compliment what your friend is doing.

I like my plan, it's actually close to something I've been thinking about doing myself :lol:

As you see, the possibilities are endless.... but it's possible to play some kickass electronic music live, in real time as you say.

• Members

I was thinking something similar to what Christian said, but I figured since you're not keyboardists, whoever plays the keyboard part is going to have his hands full. Left hand playing rhodes chords, right hand on another synth (or split) playing that bell sound melody. He's going to have a hard time bringing in the drum parts on queue with his feet.

I'd have musician #2 playing guitar swells with his swimming effects, and bringing in the drum parts with his feet. Not sure I'd mess with midi guitars, but that's just me. I'm all midi'd out after 25 years of it.

I think Christian was right on with the groove box suggestion (Electribe ESX).

• Members

Thanks a lot. As to "where our hearts are"...I grew up with sonic youth and the pixies, which is what started me playing bass and eventually guitar. But I've always liked a lot of different styles, it just so happens that my buddy's making songs he can easily record at home, and I've been band-less for a while now and this seems like a fun challenge. It's still quite a task, dispite the good tips and everything, cause like I said we're not exactly experienced with tinkering with synths while using a usb controller and a drum machine all at once:)

But we're not really limited to two people, I'm pretty sure we could at least get one other guy on board. My buddy's a pretty good drummer, and plays a little keyboard too. I could probably handle simple triggering/sampling/sequencing stuff as well as easy monosynth leads and what not.

It's not that I'm a purist, but I'm not sure what to think of midi guitar stuff. The technology is great, but maybe it's not for me. I own a {censored} load of effects, but they add something to my tone rater than morp it into something that doesn't sound like a guitar anymore. I'd actually much rather look for another band member to play synths than play the synth parts on guitar. I'll talk with my budddy about it, thanks again or the help.

• Members

I was thinking something similar to what Christian said, but I figured since you're not keyboardists, whoever plays the keyboard part is going to have his hands full. Left hand playing rhodes chords, right hand on another synth (or split) playing that bell sound melody. He's going to have a hard time bringing in the drum parts on queue with his feet.

I'd have musician #2 playing guitar swells with his swimming effects, and bringing in the drum parts with his feet. Not sure I'd mess with midi guitars, but that's just me. I'm all midi'd out after 25 years of it.

I think Christian was right on with the groove box suggestion (Electribe ESX).

I'd just do the bell sound melody on the groovebox, that would probably be easy to do. Either that or I'd rearrange the song and leave that out :)

If you're playing with two people, you have to pick what parts you play live and what parts you sequence. The more repetitive and uninteresting things get left to the sequencer.

And thanks to you and CrazyFoo for the kind words :)

Thom: if you could add a drummer, then things could get really interesting. I love electronic music with a live drummer.

Regarding MIDI guitar, it would be just another option available along with regular guitar sounds. If you see what some people can do live with it, maybe you'd change your mind. But of course, do what you feel comfortable with. If you can have a larger group and just add the drummer plus another keys guy, then by all means go for it.

• Members

First up, love the track dude. Really different and easy listening. If your other buddy can drum and has a little keyboard experience then I'm sure he can work with a simple sample pad as well as drum which would cover ALL your beats in there.

I had a thought, dunno what you reckon but, play the rhodes chords on a nice, warm, slightly (and i mean slightly) distorted electric guitar? If you have like an old Gibson, that would fit perfectly in what I'm hearing.

Then your 3rd person can simply cover that bell melody and a couple of pads/small leads on a simple MIDI setup or something like a couple of MicroKorgs. That would be where your cost would come in though, in which case it'd be handy to know what your budget is. Let me know what you think.

Archived