soft synths live?

cavemanic

• Members

Just wondering what the process is if you use soft synths in your recordings to recreate them live?

I'm a complete noob at this?!!?!? do you use laptops with a midi keyboard, try to copy the patch in a regular keyboard or use some sampler?

That's what I'm planning on doing... using a simple host (Cantabile Lite) on a laptop with a MIDI keyboard... :idk:

• Members

I'm sure all different approaches are used depending on the needs. It's a balance between convenience and how exact the sounds need to be recreated. Most times, it's the spirit that counts, not the exact timbre. Consider Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein", and the ARP synth break (I think it was a 2600). It's a signature part, and yet we see videos of him recreating it on different synths with varying results in various videos.

The less great we are, the more we rely on our instruments. I'm in the less great category, so I rely quite a bit on the quality of the instruments I use. It's easier for me since I tend to stick to the classics (piano, hammond, rhodes, wurlie, and occasional minimoog).

• Members

I play my soft synths live using a real-time orchestrator, pedal driven. Here's a live recording I did with it.

Using this kind of pedal is harder thn running the sustain pedal and takes some getting used to but it is very effective. Even in the beginning you can get some nice real-time effects.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived