Where are all the serious phone/tablet apps for live musicians?

RetroVintageOld

• Members

I wonder why synth programmers haven't jumped on the tablet thing more? Here you have readymade OS's on very portable devices that are (kind of) less crash prone than laptops.

I know there are a few things for iPad, but I thought when Garage Band was released for iPad 2 the flood gates would open and all the music software developers would have got in the game.

And what about smart phone/tablet integration for normal keyboards? Lots of keyboards come with software sound editors for PC and Mac. Imagine how much more useful it would be to plug your phone into your board since you always have it with you.

They could also be used to supplement a board

• Members

I think that they are coming but you have to bear in mind that the price people expect to pay for 'apps' is a lot less than for regular desktop software. People have gotten used to the 99 cent app so the thought of even paying $5 or $10 for an 'app' seems outrageous these days. But from a software creation point of view, the costs are the same especially for commercial software vs the one man in his bedroom operation.

Sure, a million people might download Angry birds at a buck a time or even $5+ for the iPad version but synth apps probably don't have as big a market (compared to say the market for Angry birds!) so the profit margin is probably just not there yet.

I've bought a few of the cheaper iPad music apps but the Korg iMS-20 app is $32 and there's no try before you buy (unless there's a free ver I have not seen) so whilst it's real cheap compared to say a new synth I still baulk at the thought of paying a whopping $32 for an app!

• Members

The Korg apps (iMS-20, iElectribe) look pretty "serious" to me. Also Animoog and Filtatrone by Moog. The guy who wrote the Filtatron app has a pretty "serious" looking app called Jasuto Pro.

As for Android, I understand the problem has been with audio latency, which apparently still has not been addressed.

• Members

Messed around with animoog on my coworkers ipad, I was pretty impressed. He had it hooked up via usb/midi with a regular keyboard controller, unlike the guy playing in this vid.

My impression is that the latency/hardware are more an issue than the sounds available...though I'm not sure there's any good bread-and-butter apps out there yet, especially b3 organ. (There may be, I don't follow things that closely just yet as I'm not in a position to buy anything right now :D).

[video=youtube;72bKngp3SXI]

• Members

There are many Apps that are geared more towards professionals or serious amateurs for live use (not studio, composition, arranging). Besides some listed above there are

Addictive

TouchOSC

Sunrizer

touchAble

I think the Apps geared towards control are more appropriate than sound generation, but ymmv.

• Members

My impression is that the latency/hardware are more an issue than the sounds available...though I'm not sure there's any good bread-and-butter apps out there yet, especially b3 organ. (There may be, I don't follow things that closely just yet as I'm not in a position to buy anything right now
:D
).

GarageBand's organ is quite good, and I didn't notice any latency problems when I played it over MIDI.

Archived