If I openly admit that I actually prefer...

selfinflikted

• Members

If you sincerely want an answer to that question, then IMO you care too much about what other people think.

We all perceive sounds (and lots of other things) differently. If VA sounds better to you than "actual analogue", why fight it? If nothing else, aside from how it sounds, VA is likely to require a lot less effort to maintain the hardware than certain older gear.

• Members

It just means you can't post over at gearslutz any more
:cop:

Seriously.

Some people in this forum will also try to tell you what is supposed to sound good and what's not.

I see it more like as if it were a painting. Some paints are better than others for some purposes, but if the paint you have is doing the job, then use it. The final picture is what matters.

• Members

I see it more like as if it were a painting. Some paints are better than others for some purposes, but if the paint you have is doing the job, then use it. The final picture is what matters.

Well... MAYBE. :D

Counter-example: I work wood. I prefer to use hand tools over power tools. Does my end-product look any better? Probably not, but I got a lot more enjoyment out of the process.

So sometimes the finished product isn't the point. Sometimes it's the enjoyment of the process, and what tools you use definitely play a part in that.

• Members

Well... MAYBE.
:D

Counter-example: I work wood. I prefer to use hand tools over power tools. Does my end-product look any better? Probably not, but I got a lot more enjoyment out of the process.

So sometimes the finished product isn't the point. Sometimes it's the enjoyment of the process, and what tools you use definitely play a part in that.

Well, that's a very valid point, to which I add, some people actually prefer the power tools cuz they make your life easier and you get to the same end result anyway :D

• Members

...the sounds of most VA's over actual analogue, does that make me a horrible excuse for a human being?

No, as long as you edit at least one preset. If you did not, then you are a preset jockey and therefore a horrible excuse for a human being

• Members

Well... MAYBE.

Yes and that is exactly the same reason I (sometimes) like real/pure voltage control. Not because the results are "superior" in any way, but because it's a (slightly) different way of working that can be inspiring under the right circumstances.

Other times, the precision of digital (and I'm not talking about the sound but about patch design, primarily) is supremely preferable because the relationship between choices I'm making and results are much clearer.

:)

• Members

Well... MAYBE.

Re-read this with a dirty, filthy mind. It still works. lol.gif

Archived