Roland VR700

TIMKEYS

• Members

Played the first show with the new board. I think i am going to like it. nice water fall keyboard, super action. easy pre sets. enough sounds to do what I need. I have a ton to learn about the board , but I managed to survive a show. The gator 76 key ata case was easy to get to fit the board. worth the money. I am glad the soft cases is in my rear view mirror.

Its not the best at anything , but its a lot of options, with a draw bar organ as its main event. Gets me by with a single board. :thu:

• Members

Good to hear - you and I had chatted a while back when I was looking for a second board solution. Glad that's going to work for you. Another example of how subjective this whole thing can be. Since then I once found myself in a store that must have had the only display unit in the state of both the VR700 and a PC3. I'd made the drive to check out the PC3, but I was glad to find the VR700 because I'd had more than a passing interest. Sat down in front of it and in minutes was convinced it wasn't for me.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Good luck with your new axe!!!

• Members

Good to hear - you and I had chatted a while back when I was looking for a second board solution. Glad that's going to work for you. Another example of how subjective this whole thing can be. Since then I once found myself in a store that must have had the only display unit in the state of both the VR700 and a PC3. I'd made the drive to check out the PC3, but I was glad to find the VR700 because I'd had more than a passing interest. Sat down in front of it and in minutes was convinced it wasn't for me.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Good luck with your new axe!!!

I can see that ,,The VR is a bit of a swiss army knife board for someone that really wants just one board from the way I see it. Its not the best at anything , but it will get you by on most things classic rock and country. Fantastic key action..if you want organ action.

• Members

Same way I look at what I wound up with - the PC3. It's actually amazingly good at a LOT of different things - and I could definitely (albeit against my will) play a gig with the PC3 alone. The semi-weighted (hate that term but there's really no other way to describe it) 76 keys are surprisingly tolerable for piano most of the time, but still manage to make organ, orchestral and synth parts very easy to play.

As a matter of fact, if I had a chance to sell my RD700NX, get a PC3X (for the weighted 88) for the lower tier and pocket a decent amount of change . . . I'd seriously consider it.

• Members

Its a little strange playing mostly rhodes on a waterfall keyboard. It sure is easy on the hands though.

That's the downfall of the one-size-fits-all boards: something's gotta give on the keyboard action. Part of me would love to have an 88-fully-weighted board for piano; waterfall keys for organ; and synth-weighted keys for most everything else, but not so much that I wanna drag all the specialized stuff around. So we learn to play the best we can with the action that serves us best across-the-board.

• Members

That's the downfall of the one-size-fits-all boards: something's gotta give on the keyboard action. Part of me would love to have an 88-fully-weighted board for piano; waterfall keys for organ; and synth-weighted keys for most everything else, but not so much that I wanna drag all the specialized stuff around. So we learn to play the best we can with the action that serves us best across-the-board.

The good news is that I have lots of shows to play before it goes on the away game jan 1.

• Members

And THAT is also the downfall of my sciatica :cry: . . . I cannot bring myself to compromise on the weighted 88 part.

So for now it's the RD on the lower tier, and the PC3 on top . . . as noted earlier, I am beginning to regret the acquisition of the RD a bit, but it has killer action and AP's IMHO, some nice master controller aspects that I use to my advantage, and a number of sounds that I don't have yet on the Kurz.

I might be induced to swap it out, but only in favor of a PC3X. Although I must admit I like having two different sound palettes at my disposal as well. So I'm probably stuck with this rig for the foreseeble future.

Especially as the wife says if I pull the trigger on one more board anytime in the next year, she'll leave me.

Boy, I sure will miss her . . . :lol:

Archived