What is the smalles REAL hammond?

minimoog

• Members

And that's not "small" !

BTW, there are more possibilities than tonewheel vs samples. There is analog modeling, and digital modeling. Most modern clones use a combination of both methods. One of the best clones is VB3, which I believe uses no samples.

"Real" could also mean "legally permitted to use the Hammond trademark", which applies to any Hammond/Suzuki product, all of which are digital clones.

The clones are really quite good now. IMHO, there's a much bigger difference between a real Leslie speaker and its electronic emulators than between Hammond organs and its emulators.

• Members

There are lots of clones and modeled organs and sampled ones that sound better than the cheaper real Hammonds. To get fabulous real-sounding B3 type rig, I think if you hooked up a real leslie to a Hammond XK3 (single manual, digital, lightweight) you'd have the full-on sound weighing in about as light as it gets.

nat whilk ii

• Members

The smallest real Hammond worth playing is the M-3. Case closed.

The Porta-B is pretty much an M-3, pre-chopped.

315.jpg

Although only one manual, I thought this was a really cool chop of an M3, too:

IMG_3513.JPG

Though if I was going to go through the effort to bring a "real" tonewheel Hammond and Leslie, I'd want 2 manuals of 61 keys (and roadies, of course). If it's that important to be authentic, might as well go all the way. The 44-key boards are pretty limiting.

• Members

The Porta-B is pretty much an M-3, pre-chopped.

no. it's a portabilised T-100.

also anyone bitching about the weight of a Hammond needs to stop bitching or just buy a Triton LE because that's pretty lightweight and {censored} it has like 1000 sounds in it.

good sound is heavy. get over it. if you haven't gigged an organ, bench, pedalboard, and leslie by yourself out of a minivan then you just haven't lived. that's the way it goes.

also there is an organist named Chester Thompson and a drummer named Chester Thompson. they were once in the same Santana band. i wish i could have seen that tour.

i think they should find a guitarist named Chester Thompson as well and create a band called CT3. this would be the most amazing band since Attila, and ideas like this are why i need to be a high-powered record producer.

• Members

I'd love to chop my M3. I hate the grandma's spinet look with the speaker inside. I have a friend with a chopped M3 from the 70's. There's something so much cooler about it than mine.

I'll bet it sounds dandy through the MotionSound. But you don't really lug it around to gigs, do you? I admit, in the late 70s I chopped an L100 and an M3, but that was out of necessity. I really like the homely, butt-ugly looks of the M3. It doesn't remind me of Granny at all, rather someone's Weird Old Uncle Horace. And I know you're aware that chopping doesn't save much weight. But if you just have to change it because of it's looks, try this:

M3toB3b.jpg

M3toB3a.jpg

• Members
Now that's cool!

:lol: It is amusing. I copped those pix a few years ago from an ebay ad. The organ wasn't for sale, the guy was selling plans for the woodworking. Iirc, he claimed that you didn't have to buy any additional wood, but it seems you'd at least have to get two more legs.

Archived