Trading in Yamaha, what to replace it with?

alexevans917

• Members

Hey all,

I'm new around here, so forgive me if I'm asking a question that's asked a lot...

Right now, my keyboard setup is a two tier X stand with a Yamaha YPG-535 on the bottom and a beat up old Microkorg on the top. It sound alright, but I'm not all that happy with it. However, I'd figured that I wouldn't get any money for my Yamaha used, so I wasn't going to sell it. Recently, a friend offered me $350 for it so she could have a home keyboard to practice for piano lessons. Obviously, I'm very interested in taking her up on this offer, but would want to put that money towards a new board.

My main uses for this board will be a) in the studio as a MIDI controller (The Yamaha didn't have MIDI, one of my main gripes about it) for controlling soft synths in Logic, and b) live as a stage piano (a synth engine would be nice, but its a feature I'm willing to compromise on) for folky singer songwriter stuff and every once in a while in a band.

I know for around that price I could get a used Roland Juno D, but the weight of the keys and size of the board are less than ideal. I could also get a used M Audio or Yamaha digital piano with 88 weighted keys, but would lose the synth section. As I said, I'm willing to compromise on the synth section, but if I could find a 76 or 88 weighted or semi weighted board with a pretty decent piano sound and a synth engine, that'd be awesome.

I'm not looking for a steinway in sound or in feel (the board I use for piano sounds at church is an Alesis QS8, which I actually quite like), just something that can do pianos decently.

So, recommend away!

Thanks,

Alex

• Members

It's a good thing you like that QS8, because for 350, that's probably one of the few things you'll be able to buy.

Maybe a used PX series Casio (not all of them have MIDI though, I know the PX120 doesn't).

Sometimes the Alesis Fusion HD8 shows up in the 500-600 dollar range, and there's Yamaha boards in that price range as well.

• Members

It's a good thing you like that QS8, because for 350, that's probably one of the few things you'll be able to buy.

Maybe a used PX series Casio (not all of them have MIDI though, I know the PX120 doesn't).

Sometimes the Alesis Fusion HD8 shows up in the 500-600 dollar range, and there's Yamaha boards in that price range as well.

I actually just found a QS7 for $200 locally. That sounds like the best option to me. I like all the screwed up sounds in the Alesis QS boards. This'll be a lot of fun I think, as long as the seller still has it!

Archived