Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gigged with the ipad last weekend and thought I'd share the results here.

I had settled on using the garageband B3, and Bismark loaded up with 220MB of Scarbee Rhodes. It's not the full Scarbee, but it's enough to be better than any synth's rhodes I've ever played - better than Nord, Korg SV1, Roland SRX12. It sounded great and loaded almost instantly on the ipad2.

First I used all the above in a practice session with the band via a Juno Stage midi'd into the Alesis IO Dock. The midi latency was pretty noticeable, and I experienced a LOT of hung/stuck midi notes. I was worried that it just wasn't going to work out. I persisted though, researched a little, and found that newer firmware for the IO Dock supposedly improved the latency issues and completely fixed the hung notes.

So off to the gig I took it. I put the IO Dock on a music stand at a 90

Comment

Great info there!

I wonder how much the Alesis may have contributed to problems... it would have been interesting to try running the Juno Stage into it via the Camera Connection Kit (whether via straight USB if that would work, or with a standard MIDI interface).

By default, your sustain pedal should have worked to switch Leslie speed in garageband. Unfortunately, it's not a toggle... it's hold for fast, release for slow, but it's better than aiming for the screen, as you discovered.

Did you have Bismark and Garageband running simultaneously? I was concerned that IOS' limited multitasking might not have been up to the task of real-time MIDI To both foreground and background apps... that's pretty impressive if that worked. And do you have the original iPad or the iPad 2?

Did you have garageband set to only respond to a particular MIDI channel? I was looking to see if there was a way to do that, but didn't find it in my brief attempt.

Comment

Alesis IO Dock. The midi latency was pretty noticeable, and I experienced a LOT of hung/stuck midi notes.

Did you update the IO Dock firmware? I've seen reports of similar issues from other IO Dock users - the fix is in the firmware update.

Also, Neo Soul Keys was just released.

Comment

Just listened to the Microsampler and the Roland SP404SX, using sounds from the KORG MX1SD and it sounded great!

Comment

Did you have garageband set to only respond to a particular MIDI channel? I was looking to see if there was a way to do that, but didn't find it in my brief attempt.
            I didn't mess with any midi settings in garageband, so it's doing whatever it does by default upon install.

Comment

Also, Neo Soul Keys was just released.

Thanks for the info! I've been watching for that to get released. Can't wait to try it.

Comment

Just checked out the neo soul rhodes video, here:

Sounds great, but it's packaged into garageband. That makes me worry about the polyphony. The garageband rhodes delivers all of SEVEN notes of polyphony. Never any more than that, and that's pretty much useless for me. No holding the sustain pedal down and gliding down the keys from the top down; it's very unnatural. Unless the neosoul guys have done something magical, his rhodes will suffer the same limitations.

For the record - Bismark polyphony playing soundfonts is much more than seven notes, or perhaps it's engineered smarter than garageband - smart enough to keep playing the longer-sustaining notes and shut off the ones that have already died way down. I can do the sustained glide down on Bismark and not hear it cutting notes off, unlike garageband's rhodes.

Comment

Sounds great, but it's packaged into garageband. That makes me worry about the polyphony. The garageband rhodes delivers all of SEVEN notes of polyphony. Never any more than that, and that's pretty much useless for me. No holding the sustain pedal down and gliding down the keys from the top down; it's very unnatural. Unless the neosoul guys have done something magical, his rhodes will suffer the same limitations.

For the record - Bismark polyphony playing soundfonts is much more than seven notes, or perhaps it's engineered smarter than garageband - smart enough to keep playing the longer-sustaining notes and shut off the ones that have already died way down. I can do the sustained glide down on Bismark and not hear it cutting notes off, unlike garageband's rhodes.

Really sounds good!

Comment

Wow! Nice sounds!

Garage band is a bit more workstationish, than performance oriented instrument, and they might be worried about polyphony per track and fixed the amount of notes each instrument can play. Now that some of those instruments have proven to be gig-worthy, I wish they could make a performance mode or something, where you don't need so many tracks and liberate the full polyphony for couple of layers to eat.

As its also a home friendly app, perhaps they could also step into Casio's toes and conquer functions from arranger areas too. There's already transposition function, but thats not quite real time yet.
                    I am wanting, I am thinking
                    To arise and go forth singing,
                    Sing my songs and say my sayings,
                    Hymns ancestral harmonizing,
                    Lore of kindred lyricking.
                    In my mouth the words are melting;
                    Utterances overflowing
                    To my tongue are hurrying,
                    Even against my teeth they burst.

Comment

Working...
                    X