So I ordered a Roland GAIA

selfinflikted

• Members

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, for someone who has no experience with subtractive synthesis, this would be a GREAT first board. But I'm fairly experienced and this keyboard just lacks... everything, including sounding good. The distortion was god awful (although the bit crusher was decent) and the raw waveforms were bad. The sound was FAR too muddy to be of any use in any mix I can think of.

I was disappoint.

I want a virus. I am thinking about getting the snow, but I really want the TI2 desktop unit. I'd just have to save up for it.

• Members

While waiting for that TI2, a used Blofeld might do? (I hear the distortion is crap as well, so you might as well just get a pedal for that...)

I've been considering it, honestly. I've heard really GOOD things about the Blofeld. It sounds great, so far as one can tell from YouTube and it's crap compression. However, lack of knobs concerns me. I'm a very hands-on type of synth guy, and the prospect of menu-diving just doesn't strike my fancy.

ETA: That's the Blofeld Desktop Model. I really don't need anymore synths with keybeds. Rack/Tabletop models are choice for me.

• Members

Oh how I wish I'd gotten an SH-201 when they were still in production.
:(

What's wrong with buying used? That's how I paid 200 dollars for mine, and it's pretty mint :wave:

I've been considering it, honestly. I've heard really GOOD things about the Blofeld. It sounds great, so far as one can tell from YouTube and it's crap compression. However, lack of knobs concerns me. I'm a very hands-on type of synth guy, and the prospect of menu-diving just doesn't strike my fancy.

ETA: That's the Blofeld Desktop Model. I really don't need anymore synths with keybeds. Rack/Tabletop models are choice for me.

Well, that's why it might be a stopgap until you get the Virus.

A lot of people say even though it doesn't have a lot of knobs, editing is still pretty easy. And it does have enough routings to keep you busy for a while :)

• Members

Oh how I wish I'd gotten an SH-201 when they were still in production.
:(

You can still pick them up used for really cheap. I got mine off craigslist for $400 only a year after it's release, still in mint condition. I'm a heavy knob tweaker, played many gigs with it and despite everyone knocking on it's cheap build quality, I've had zero problems with it other than needing to clean the contacts on some of the buttons. Filter doesn't sound too great if you're aiming for that acid house squelch, but it sounds very similar to the Alpha Juno I used to have.

• Members

Well.... I'm not sure why I'm hesitant to buy used boards. I have no reservations at all where tabletops or racks are concerned... but I'm extremely timid about buying used keys. Perhaps I will check the dreaded Ebay when I get home from work this evening and see how much they're going for now.

As for the filter.. I've heard lots of demos and it certainly sounds better than the one on the SH-01, no?

• Members

A lot of people say even though it doesn't have a lot of knobs, editing is still pretty easy. And it does have enough routings to keep you busy for a while
:)

I have also heard that it's easy to program. Thing is, at least for me, when I'm noodling around I'll inevitably have some profound moment where inspiration floats into my head.. then, after a minute or two of delving through menus, that inspriration is gone. I HATE THAT. I need a knob/slider for immediacy. My volatile memory is too... volatile.

• Members

I came THIS CLOSE || to buying an SH-201 twice. The first time, I bought my Ultranova, which I love. The second time, I bought my VFX-SD, which I also love. Seems I am not fated to have an SH-201.

I have heard really good things about the Novation synth too. But, I'm not really a software guy at all, period. What's the deal with the 'automap' stuff? Seems likely that's an extra bell and whistle I wouldn't need or use?

• Members

As for the filter.. I've heard lots of demos and it
certainly
sounds better than the one on the SH-01, no?

Well they're a bit different (SH-01 comes from the Roland ROMpler code - see how it has a "peaking" filter, in fact the same filter types as the Fantoms and the other ROMplers like Juno D, Juno Di, Gi, etc). As far as I know the SH-201 is a tweak on the JP-8000 filter. You might like it, you might not - some people I talked to definitely don't like it. I don't think the filter's the SH-01's problem though, as that filter sounds fine on the Fantoms.

On the Ultranova - the automap stuff is for using the synth as a controller. Which you don't have to. It works fine as a standalone synth :)

• Members

On the Ultranova - the automap stuff is for using the synth as a controller. Which you don't have to. It works fine as a standalone synth
:)

Yea, that's what I was thinking it was. Gah. I wish all boards had a rack version. I just have no more room in my lab for boards.

Decisions, decisions. Santa (read: ME) will be bringing me a new synth of some sort this year.. I just have to make a decision. Not one of my strengths. ;)

Looks like the Blofeld and Ultranova are at the head of the pack, for now.

• Members

The part that sucks for me is, living in southern Alabama, that I can't get any hands-on type of preview before I buy. We have a Guitar Center here, as well as 10 or so local music stores, but everyone here is a guitarist! No one plays synths, so the synth section at GC is the only viable choice, but of course all they stock are MicroKorgs. It would've saved me a lot of trouble (plus shipping costs!) to have been able to play around on the SH-01 before I bought it. What a fiasco.

• Members

I live in Atlanta, and it's kind of the same here.

But there's one store (Sam Ash) that has a decent amount of synths at any given time. Guitar Center sucks in that regard... last time I visited they had a used Voyager :eek: they also had the Venom, some Nords and the usual offerings from Korg, Yamaha and Roland.

Make a trip to Atlanta, play the Voyager, leave kidney behind :wave:

• Members

You know there is just something about owning a new board in the box that has never been touched. Fresh start maybe? I will buy used if it something that will never be seen again or something really special, 80's Rolands and anything Ensoniq comes to mind.

Now about the GAIA? It does get you close to covering most top 40 and experimental music and sounds, but it does sound like it has a very thick digital condom over it thus reducing all the bright VA sensations. Just doesn't feel right.

• Members

The part that sucks for me is, living in southern Alabama, that I can't get any hands-on type of preview before I buy. We have a Guitar Center here, as well as 10 or so local music stores, but everyone here is a guitarist! No one plays synths, so the synth section at GC is the only viable choice, but of course all they stock are MicroKorgs.

Same here really, too many guitar players. :rolleyes:

Our GC has romplers galore but few synths. I've never seen a Nord or Moog in stock there. Last year a Best Buy opened nearby that carries pro music gear and I got my hopes up... but other than a few romplers and cheap arrangers, they only stock the GAIA and MicroKorg.

• Members

Go to http://alanmarcero.com/ and listen to the Virus demo, then go and listen to the P'08 demo. I dare you.

And whatever you do, don't listen to the Andromeda demo :eek:

Edit: the Andy actually doesn't sound superior to the other two in those demo. Both the P08 and the Andy have strong points. But the TI (and the Clavia Nord 3) sound a bit muddy and lack definition compared to the Prophet. But it could be just the programming).

Archived