Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend who has a Fenix modular and a Moog Voyager Old School has a Gaia. I'll have to ask him about his likes/dislikes. I'm sure he likes more about it than "it can play chords".

Comment

You know there is just something about owning a new board in the box that has never been touched. Fresh start maybe? I will buy used if it something that will never be seen again or something really special, 80's Rolands and anything Ensoniq comes to mind.

Now about the GAIA? It does get you close to covering most top 40 and experimental music and sounds, but it does sound like it has a very thick digital condom over it thus reducing all the bright VA sensations. Just doesn't feel right.

Comment

...and it came in Friday. I skipped previewing the presets (of course) and dove right in. Two hours later, I had it boxed back up for return.

True story.

At least it had a happy ending...
        Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

The part that sucks for me is, living in southern Alabama, that I can't get any hands-on type of preview before I buy. We have a Guitar Center here, as well as 10 or so local music stores, but everyone here is a guitarist! No one plays synths, so the synth section at GC is the only viable choice, but of course all they stock are MicroKorgs.

Same here really, too many guitar players.

Our GC has romplers galore but few synths. I've never seen a Nord or Moog in stock there. Last year a Best Buy opened nearby that carries pro music gear and I got my hopes up... but other than a few romplers and cheap arrangers, they only stock the GAIA and MicroKorg.
          Too many keyboards, not enough music.

Comment

How about a used TI (mark 1) desktop Virus? I'm sure you could find one used for a lot cheaper than the current TI2. The only thing the TI2 does is provide more horsepower for added poly or lots more simultaneous effects.

I'm digging the new distortions in my TI right now. BEEFY.
            Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

I almost bought a TI2 because of this free (donateware) bank of sounds: http://www.alanmarcero.com/mp3s/virusti.mp3

http://alanmarcero.com/
              Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

His Prophet 08 collection will make you want to buy a Prophet 08. It's the same style, but it sounds much better than on the Virus.
                http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Are we perpetuating the stereotype that analogs sounds better than VAs, HMMMMMMMMM??!??

BANNED!

(Also, I doubt this. Nyahh.)
                  Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Go to http://alanmarcero.com/ and listen to the Virus demo, then go and listen to the P'08 demo. I dare you.

And whatever you do, don't listen to the Andromeda demo

Edit: the Andy actually doesn't sound superior to the other two in those demo. Both the P08 and the Andy have strong points. But the TI (and the Clavia Nord 3) sound a bit muddy and lack definition compared to the Prophet. But it could be just the programming).
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

(good thing I brought headphones with me...)
                      Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Go to http://alanmarcero.com/ and listen to the Virus demo, then go and listen to the P'08 demo. I dare you.

I listened to both and the winner is...

me! Because both demos were so enjoyable I didn't care which synth was which.

Comment

I listend to both the TI and the P'08... they ARE different, although I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I don't know if the difference is due to the machines or due to programming. I *suspect* that they were recorded with different effects chains.

Good trancy sounds, though.
                          Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

I listend to both the TI and the P'08... they ARE different, although I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I don't know if the difference is due to the machines or due to programming. I *suspect* that they were recorded with different effects chains.

Good trancy sounds, though.
                            Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

My friend who has a Fenix modular and a Moog Voyager Old School has a Gaia. I'll have to ask him about his likes/dislikes. I'm sure he likes more about it than "it can play chords".

Odd coincidence: (I have a Z1 instead of your friend's Fenix modular but) I have an Old School and a GAIA.

I use the GAIA for two primary purposes: the Sweetwater "Analog String" patch (for more than just analog strings), and for drones and atmospherics. For the latter, the ability to run separate LFO modulation at different rates on each voice makes it a very cheap (albeit limited) alternative to a true modular.

If the waveforms on the GAIA are sampled, how do they do the oscillator sync? I did notice that's the one thing left out of the "GAIAs on a screen" VA section in the Jupiter 80.

Martyn Wheeler (playing synthesizers/organ like it's 1973 in England)

now: Fredfin Wallaby
                              was: The Gonzo Symphonic

Comment

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, for someone who has no experience with subtractive synthesis, this would be a GREAT first board. But I'm fairly experienced and this keyboard just lacks... everything, including sounding good. The distortion was god awful (although the bit crusher was decent) and the raw waveforms were bad. The sound was FAR too muddy to be of any use in any mix I can think of.

I was disappoint.

I want a virus. I am thinking about getting the snow, but I really want the TI2 desktop unit. I'd just have to save up for it.

I sat down with GAIA at Guitar Center, and had essentially the same experience that you did. I really WANTED to like it. But the lack of a display was almost a deal-breaker by itself, and then when I listened to the raw waveforms that pretty much settled it.

On sound alone, even the VENOM kicks GAIA's ass, at $399 no less -- and it even has a display, 49 keys, it's multitimbral, and has a built-in audio interface to boot. And the Ultranova, though comparable in retail price to GAIA, is in a whole other universe sonically and feature-wise.

It's as if Roland released GAIA with the assumption that there weren't already much better synths available for the same price or less.
                                Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X