Who do you guys use for shipping?

ChristianRock

• Members

I've had problems before, with both FedEx and UPS.

UPS seems to have been getting better though. I hear a lot of bad things about FedEx lately.

I'm sure this video that is going viral will cause them to look at how their drivers are trained...

[video=youtube;PKUDTPbDhnA]

And yes, that is a computer monitor he's just throwing over a 7 foot fence! Uploader comments:

"Here is a video of my monitor being "delivered". The sad part is that I was home at the time with the front door wide open. All he would have had to do was ring the bell on the gate. Now I have to return my monitor since it is broken."

Who do you guys use for shipping?

• Members

UPS. i get a lot of packages for work, so my guy knows me and i know that at least the delivery portion of my package experience will be handled well. the rest i cannot speak to, but all the major shippers will mess things up sometimes. for those who don't ship a lot it's a crapshoot, but it helps to make friends with your driver so you can at least avoid situations like the one above.

• Members

So.... my company ships A LOT. Normally is ok, however.....

last week we ship a small package to another office (less than 2 hours travel) When the recipient opened the package, there was nothing inside. The inner compartment that contained the package was torn, and the item was stolen. So basically, it was an inside job at the parcel carrier. As they were the only ones in possession until it was delivered at the other office. WTF?

• Members

We're really only talking about one true prof shipping company here, the guys with the blue and orange unforms do not even play in the same league, drivers are not trained, they can't even find my house, change drivers continually. They crunched my last keyboard parts rolling around inside even though it was wrapped with 5 layers of bubble wrap, peanuts and then styrofoam panels, they must have tried very hard dumped it on its end from 10 feet? I had to fight for a couple months to get them to pay off the insurance. I am convinced none of their people even know what the hell there doing not just the drivers! UPS on the other hand handles everything extremely well and their people have worked for them for years, my driver as long as I can remember. No choice to me its clear cut, UPS and forget the rest!!

• Members

I use FedEx Ground, which is usually the cheapest, especially since I send packages from a FedEx hub.

If you are close to a FedEx Kinkos (copy shop) you can send FedEx ground through them. I avoid UPS Package stores since they are privately owned and the owners jack up the prices higher than if you ship via a UPS Hub.

• Members

Sure go with Fed Ex and save a few bucks that makes sense, I did and look what I ended up with a smashed keyboard, handled by the gorillas. Sure they don't want to provide their own shipping centers so they use Kinko's to save money, let a second party handle your valuable sound equipment and let them let it sit around for awhile until a driver picks it up, makes alot of sense to me all to save a buck! I shipped a keyboard to Canada once and after it sat 3 days in the Fed Ex facility where I dropped it off I inquired why it hadn't moved yet?? Well you didn't fill out a tariff duty ship out of the country form, well you couldn't tell me that when you weighted it and I payed for the shipping?? Next day it didn't move either, their customs guy was sick that day!!!!

• Members

I've had pretty much the same bad experiences with UPS, USPS, and Fed Ex alike. I've received packages that were so broken up, with contents damaged or destroyed, that it's become clear they literally couldn't care less. The level of apathy of their delivery people is really astounding.

And yes, it HAS gotten worse in recent years.

In one two-year period alone, I had 4 packages "lost" by the US Postal Service. They acknowledged that the packages disappeared in transit and were never delivered, and they made no real effort to locate them. Then they tried to stonewall and delay when I filed insurance claims, and didn't even want to refund the shipping costs.

So I will NEVER have another synth shipped by any of the existing carriers.

• Members

That poor customer is really a hero for posting that vid so that the world sees it. Uploaded just yesterday and already over a million views. Awesome. The more people [us basically, the customers] see it, the more in trouble those turds will be. What an effing arse that FedEx guy is:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I agree with Zoink in that they're all the same. I truly believe that it depends 100% on the kind of person who handles the package. It is PURE luck whom that deliverer will be in the case of each of us, the customers.

I can't believe some people have zero ethics in their jobs... and still have jobs.

• Members

I almost always use UPS. At my work we send and receive packages quite often. The packages I ship for work are almost always more expensive and more fragile than vintage analog synths. The only issue I've ever had in the past several years is that an overnight package was delayed by a couple of days.

I've heard lots of horror stories about UPS/FedEx/USPS and I don't doubt them. But from my experience UPS is great.

• Members

. Are you kidding me? omg:cry:

But thank God for cameras! The best witness that ever existed! The UNblinking eye! Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!

If you think those employyes are bad, you should see the secret footage of people who work in fast food restaurants.

You would never eat there again. :lol:

• Members

I tell all the sellers of whatever I buy from mostly volume retailers do not use the gorillas at Fed Ex. Its not just the driver guys its everyone that handles it, hello! Your package is put on one truck, goes into one facility, out to another truck, could then get loaded across country on a train(don't forget at up to 70lbs its not going by truck across country too big and heavy for that), to another facility, loaded on another truck, out to your local facility, unloaded and out to the delivery on another truck. Oh I missed all the conveyors along the way. It was suggested to me that my damaged keyboard probably cartwheeled off an 8-10 high conveyor belt that backed up in one of their facilities! I assumed it was the delivery driver taking a corner at 60 or something with the door left open!

• Members

Sure go with Fed Ex and save a few bucks that makes sense, I did and look what I ended up with a smashed keyboard, handled by the gorillas. Sure they don't want to provide their own shipping centers so they use Kinko's to save money, let a second party handle your valuable sound equipment and let them let it sit around for awhile until a driver picks it up, makes alot of sense to me all to save a buck!

A few corrections:

-- FedEx OWNS Kinkos. A FedEx driver picks up packages there just like any other shipping center. This is no different than a UPS retail shipper, since a UPS truck would pick up at these locations also

-- Both FedEx and UPS have hubs from which you can ship if you want your package to be handled fewer times

-- Both FedEx and UPS can damage shipments. I have not seen any evidence that one is better than the other regarding damaging packages

• Members

If you are close to a FedEx Kinkos (copy shop) you can send FedEx ground through them. I avoid UPS Package stores since they are privately owned and the owners jack up the prices higher than if you ship via a UPS Hub.

I happen to work for UPS and to correct the record, The UPS Stores all offer the exact same rates as the UPS hub. (They are required to do so as a condition of owning their franchise.) They also offer great, personal service. I don't know about our competitors' stores rates however. We have awesome drivers too and handle claims quickly and fairly. We're also 104 years old! :cool:

• Members

Well your missing the point on bringing it to a hub really. So its going to go from the hub right to your house huh! Follow a tracking record and see how many points it goes thru and how many tranfers it makes how many times it is handled.

That is good to know that the rates between UPS Stores and official shipping centers or hubs are the same. Then there is much misinformation on the Internet to the contrary.

Fed Ex and UPS the same hmmm! Well I have shipped and received probably like a dozen shipments thru Fed Ex over the past year. They are batting something like probably 2 for 12 in not f.... it up! UPS is batting 1000. In my area at least, and with my driver there is not comparison none, case closed for me! If I want it damaged, dropped off at the wrong house, can't find my address return to sender, I would definitely go Fed Ex

Archived