What is the most you would pay for a used Yamaha PSR-3000?

Mediterranean

• Members

It just passed $100.00 at an online auction [sorry, can't tell you where lol] and has 3 days left before the auction closes.

The listing says that it's missing some screws, but that it works.

I researched this keyboard and found some demos on our friend Paolo's synth site and almost fainted:

http://www.synthmania.com/psr-3000.htm

I couldn't find any current prices for this keyboard. And it doesn't exist on eBay.

What's the most you would pay for it?

Thanks a lot! :)

• Members

Hehee, guilty as charged ... ;) Even though I'm mainly a synth guy, secretly I'm a fan of organ and accompaniment keyboards, and lounge music in general. IIRC it was 1,500 new, so now maybe 300-500? I don't know... Well, it could be that it's just missing some screws from the chassis but that it works, no? $100 is an absolute no-brainer for that keyboard, I really loved it!! It was the mid-end product when the original Tyros came out, and many of the functions were the same...

I remember being sick with a cold when I recorded those demos so my voice was terrible! But I really liked the choir effect on the PSR-3000 like the Andrews sisters

• Members

I personally wouldn't pay any more than $100 for any of these unless you really wanted it. But I'm also thinking of 80's Casio+Portatones and the DJX and it seems this is more advanced.

Yes kitten. It all depends on what one wants. Look it up on youtube and listen to the acoustic piano, acoustic guitar and acoustic flute [among other instruments]. Freaking incredible considering the price so far. They're also available on Paolo's site [although I haven't heard all his demos there, but I will]. It's not really the arranger part that I desire [nice to have though] because I like to make my music without "help", but the sounds that interest me. I think it's got 800 of them:)

Thanks Paolo for those audio demos. Here are some pics of the actual keyboard. Shipping will be $41.10... if I win it.

But now after watching those FedEx vids in the other thread, I don't know if I should take a risk. Will let you know though.

Paolo, could you please tell me about the rear panel if you still have this keyboard? I can't find a picture anywhere. I can't function without a sustain pedal and 2 separate audio outputs [L $ R] and at least a MIDI Out so that I can also use it as a controller. A headphone out would be awesome as well. Thanks a lot.

psr30001.jpg

psr30002.jpg

psr30003.jpg

psr30004.jpg

• Members

and at least a MIDI Out so that I can also use it as a controller. A headphone out would be awesome as well. Thanks a lot.

psr30001.jpg
psr30002.jpg
psr30003.jpg
psr30004.jpg

I no longer have it, but yes, it had sustain pedals, phones, and stereo outputs. There is a shot of the back of the unit at my site but sorry, it's a bit blurry . I remember that the yellow RCA plug was to connect it to any TV for karaoke functions - really cool at parties - however, just download its manual in pdf at yamaha.com http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id=16535&product_id=106898 nd there are pics/descriptions of the rear panel and functions

Yamaha%20PSR-3000%20rear.jpg

• Members

Paolo, thanks again for the info and all the demos you provide for us on your website.

I love that Disco demo you made, and some of the sounds in the patch section are gorgeous [grand piano, nylon guitar and flute specifically], and lol@ the Mexican mouse tune:)

I couldn't download the manual. It asked me to sign up for stuff, etc. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere but will download that one if I have no choice.

A few more questions if you don't mind:

1. Are the patches tweakable like in a synth?

2. Can you program your own intros and outros?

3. What is the multi-timbrality/polyphony of this keyboard? [number of tracks you can use in a song, etc]

4. Is it possible to download more patches? [i see it has a USB port]

5. Can your own songs be saved to memory and recalled later for tweaking/editing/playback/etc?

6. Can you program your own drums/percussions?

7. Does the keyboard have micro-tuning such as the Arabic quarter-note scale?

Thanks a lot!

• Members

Hello. I'm not really a keyboard player (sax and EWI), but i do own a PSR 3000 and can answer a few of your questions.

Patches are tweakable, but not to the level that you would find in a synth. Basic envelope and LFO/modulation stuff, along with DSP settings.

Intros and endings can be programmed, but it's often quicker to swap in an intro or ending from another style. A style is the Yamaha's name for the auto-accompianment the keyboard can play.There are literally thousands of free styles available for this board.

It has a 16 track sequencer with a maximum polyphony of 128.

You can download patches, but given the limited patch editing capabilities of this board, I've never found them useful.

An unlimited number of songs may be saved to external HD or USB stick.

You can program your own drum patterns, but I don't believe the kits themselves are editable. Many consider the drums to be the weak point in this board.

The keyboard supports different tunings. Looks like 9 diffent tunings according to the manual (including 2 Aribic tunings).

The unit has MIDI in and out, as well as MIDI-USB connections. It supports a sustain and volume pedals, both of which can be assigned to other things. The 3000 also has a USB connecter for an external HD or thumb drive.

It's not a bad little board for what it is (an arranger, not a workstation). The vocal harmony is fun to play with, but I don't think I'd gig with it, as it can have tracking issues in a loud environment. The keyboard action is a bit light to my taste, but you can get used to it. I use an old SY-85 as a controller for mine as it has a nicer keybed.

From other fora which I lurk on, I gather a used 3000 will bring $300 - $600.

Hope this helps,

Dinkleberg

• Members

After the descriptions that have been given here, that's how I look at it too: a workstation with speakers and some automations.

The difference is: not synthy as a real synth in terms of sound [you notice most sounds are emulations of real acoustic instruments], a lot fewer patches, and limited sound tweakability.

For what I like and do, some of those sounds are incredibly realistic [once in a mix, like most sampled instruments]. The "readiness" to compose something when inspiration hits is also very convenient: speakers means you don't have to turn on a DAW or those nearfield monitors, etc.

Also, I first thought it had something like 8 tracks to sequence stuff. It's 16, and 128-voice polyphony. If the price of this thing doesn't go too high, I'll get it.

I sold everything and I just miss composing music.

• Members

Thank you very much, Paolo.

If I may ask, how much did you pay for it and when exactly?

Thanks again:)

IIRC it was 1500, I dug up this post of mine and it says I bought it originally in December 2004: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?874676-The-PSR-3000-is-phenomenal!!!-Bebop-demo-.mp3

---

• Members

That's true Paolo. Most people bid "whole" number maximums: 100....200....300....400.....etc.

This guy's max bid was 301. Very smart.

Mine was 300 and I was the second highest bidder after him.

What a huge difference that one buck makes as far as who will be the lucky bastid and the unlucky bastid. Me being the latter in this case, lol :cry:

I really wanted that keyboard.

Maybe I should just spy on a Korg TR-Rack instead.

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

Archived