Hardware samples player

• Members

Hi

I’m playing in a little rock/metal band with a minimalistic configuration (singer/drummer/me on the guitar, using a jamman looper and nano pog to fill a bit more the sound). We want to add some synth/pads lines and loops to get a fuller sound. They would probably be triggered by the singer.

Since we want to avoid having a laptop/pad on stage, I started looking into hardware "samplers" (sample playback hardware)… and just couldn’t find a good (and not too expensive) option.

It should be able to play long full quality samples (for introductions/interludes), shorter samples that would we added to certain part of a song (like a chorus, which means it should be able to have a tap-tempo and timestretch function), shorter sounds or samples used as pads/strings line on the go (no lead stuff tho)

That would require:

• Enough memory to play long samples (at least 10-15mb per sample)

• A fast samples loading time or be able to play a sample while loading the next one

• Stereo output and/or click track output (for the drummer, to make sure we don’t get out of sync)

• Timestretch function based on a tap-tempo

• Set velocity option on the pads

• Polyphonic

• At least 8 pads (to get a full scale)

• 2 playing modes for the pads : play as long as you hold it, or press once and it plays the sample until the end.

Ideally in the 300$ price range. I couldn’t really find any other sample playback machine. Most sampler/sequencer are aimed at doing way more than what I want and end up beeing short on memory (pretty much every older hardware) or way too expensive (octatrack).

I looked at :

• Zoom R8 : Can do almost everything I want. I’m not sure the timestretch would work, and I’ve read that the pads aren’t good for live playing.

• Akai mpx16: lacks timestretch, very slow sample loading time, and has bad reviews (reliability)

• Korg MPC500 : a bit old maybe (reliability), bad quality time stretch. And I’m not sure about the sample loading time, dedicated click track and one-shot/hold ability of the pads.

• Korg sp 404sx : I think this would fit the bill, but it’s quite expensive. Especially since we would probably have to add a midi controller to it (doesn’t seem very practical to play actual notes on it)

• Korg Microsampler: memory seems quite short, couldn’t really figure if the loading time is good, and would it really work for what I intend? I’m a bit worried about it’s “keyboard” shape, don’t know if it’s pratical to play samples.

Do recommend one of those or have any other options to suggest?

Archived