Anyone getting midi sounds from an ipad?

WynnD

• Members

How do you have it hooked up? What apps are you using for sounds? Got favorites?

I can do this with my computer, but I normally don't take the computer on a gig and I always have an ipad available.

• Members

Yes, I have several software synths Animoog, Sunrizer, Magellan , Alchemy, Thor and Korg Polysix to name just a few. I use an Alesis I/O Dock to connect I go midi in from my synth a Roland VR-09 and the output goes to a small yamaha mixer then to FOH. I also have used the camera connection kit to connect to my audio interface for recording into garage band on the ipad. My favorite apps are probably Animoog and Magellan but that changes since the apps are cheap enough I can experiment with as many as I like,.

• Members

Just bought an iconnect Midi interface. $60 for computer or ios device connection. I wondering if I can record an midi sequence onto my ipad. That would allow me to back out my VK-77 organ. Not sure, but it might be the correct way to back up the Mojo too.

• Members

I use Auria Pro on the iPad. It's not cheap but it is a fully functional DAW like Logic or ProTools and you need the Pro version to get the full MIDI capabilties. It comes with built in synth sounds for MIDI and can also use 3rd party synths such as Animoog and DrumJam.

I use my setup with a PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL which gives me eight channels of audio i/o and MIDI i/o. I need to use a powered USB hub with the 1818 so I'm thinking about getting an AudioBox iTwo. Although it only has two channels of audio i/o plus MIDI, it comes with PreSonus Studio One DAW software and plugs directly into the iPad.

I like the idea of the iTwo for live work because it can give me MIDI in and a good quality audio out.

Connect something like a Yamaha UR22 mkII to your iPad and you'll have a 2x2 audio and 1x1 MIDI interface.

Apps? There's a bunch of them on my iPad. Here's a few reviews you may find interesting.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/arturia-iprophet

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/korg-ipolysix

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/cakewalk-z3ta-for-ios

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/arturia-isem

• Members

WOW! I'm amazed at how well this works. There must be a fair amount of computing power in an ipad. Really didn't expect that. (My first computer had a 8088 chip. Sluggish wouldn't describe it today.)

If you stop to think about it, it's pretty amazing how much you can do with a modern tablet. They definitely have way, way more computational horsepower than the earliest personal computers did.

What sorts of sounds are you interested in? Maybe we can suggest some more apps for you to check out. :)

• Members

I was looking for sounds for my Mojo. Acoustic piano, strings, horns. I've got a QSR midi sound module but find it a bit of a pain to setup. Ease of use is always the order of the day for live performances. I was running into some issues with setting up the midi today with my VK-77. Got to look up and see if I made any mistakes. (Don't think so.)

• Members

The $60 one for connecting to either a USB port or a Lightning connector. I'm using the lightning connector and my ipad mini. Ran into an issue with using this with my VK-77 and couldn't get a midi signal to run anything. Apparently the software I'm using has more than one location to address the midi channel. And in one location I couldn't get anything to work and in the other location everything was set to channel 1 and the keyboard was using channels 7,8 and 9.

• Members

I'm intrigued by the one that will work with multiple hosts at the same time. I use a MacBook and an iPad at the same time with each one having it's own interface and I use a six-bus mixer to control the routing. MIDI works because my piano and my Axiom keyboard controller have both USB and DIN MIDI ports. I can also set the Axiom to pass MIDI between the USB and DIN ports in both directions so I don't have to re-patch when I want to re-route.

I'm glad you got your issue resolved - it's always nice when the solution is simple and we don't have to tear everything apart to find it.

Archived