How to setup a synth so it can sound alone, or at the same time w/ mac's audio/music?

RobC99

• Members

1- Just bought my first hardware synth and to hear it, I need to unplug my monitors from my audio interface and plug into the synth, so I need to be switching all the time and I can't play music/audio through the monitors at the same time, and the constant switching is annoying too, what is the solution for this in a project studio? Do I buy a 2nd set of monitors or a fancy switching device?

2- Would playing audio through the same monitors at the same time with the synth be bad for the sound quality?

Thanks

• Members

What is your audio interface? Most interfaces have a mix control where you can blend the input with what is coming out of your computer.

Another solution, which would be my choice, is to get a small mixer to control what goes to your monitors.

I used one of these for a while and it made things much easier.

J06372000000000-00-500x500.jpg

• Members

as onelife suggests -- get a mixer. ideally you'll want a mixer that not only mixes signals from mics and other sources like keyboards but also the output of the audio inferface while allowing you to route any input signal to the interface so that no re-patching is necessary

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
What is your audio interface? Most interfaces have a mix control where you can blend the input with what is coming out of your computer.

Another solution, which would be my choice, is to get a small mixer to control what goes to your monitors.

I used one of these for a while and it made things much easier.

J06372000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I just got an Apollo Twin so I'm not great at using it yet.

From what I understand it only has 2 INs, so the synth would occupy them and I'd have to switch w/ the mics and other stuff.

• Members
as onelife suggests -- get a mixer. ideally you'll want a mixer that not only mixes signals from mics and other sources like keyboards but also the output of the audio inferface while allowing you to route any input signal to the interface so that no re-patching is necessary

I have no experience with mixers, what specs would I look for to fit my setup and interface (Apollo twin), that Yamaha MG06 for example?

Archived