Need some advice regarding a Hammond M-1

Valtyr

• Members

Hi guys!

My mother has a Hammond M-1, I think it is a spinnet with two rows of approx 40 keys and 12 pedals. It is in excellent cosmetic condition but will no longer power on. My grandparents bought it in 1962.

Do you have any idea the approximate value of an M-3? Would it be worth fixing or would the repair cost exceed it's value?

• Members

An M-3 is worth anywhere from free to $50 (in the midwest US). There is no M-1 model. There was M, M-2, M-3, then the M-100 series. The M-3 is the one to have IMO as it has percussion and the same keys as a console.

Mistype, you are right, it is an m-3. Thanks.

I'm surprised on the value, I know it was $1300 when they bought it in the early 60's.

She might be able to get a Lowery locally. I don't know which model, are they comparable?

• Members

Lowreys are mostly transistor junk for grandmothers, Hammond tonewheels are for rock and roll. Are you wanting to fix it for her to play, or for you?

Regardless of the sale value of an M-3, they make a good entry level Hammond for the rock musician. But I could also probably point you to several free ones in working order - you might have to make a road trip to pick it up.

• Members

It's possible it just has a blown fuse. Has she been using it all along, or did it sit unused for years and now she's interested again?

Powering on a Hammond is different from just flipping a switch. There are two switches in the back; to turn it on you pull them both up and hold them until the tonewheels are obviously spinning (you can hear them clearly). This only takes a second or two. Then you let go; one switch springs back and the other stays "on".

What happens during this process? Does she hear any motors spinning at all? If not, it's probably a fuse. I have no idea where the fuses are, but no doubt someone here does.

Is it possible she hasn't played it in so long, she's forgotten the trick to turn it on?

• Members

Well your probably talking about older smaller lower end Lowreys, some of the upper end Lowreys full size console jobs were impressive instruments in their day and not to be laughed at they sounded damn good by yesteryears standards. I played on a Hammond too like mid 80's vintage, 2 different animals really different sound but the Lowrey upper end models had leslies too and could sound like a Hammond, well almos,t but with no draw bars Sadly today the only ones that play those beautiful old relics now are old folks funny in a way to sell a keyboard in those days it had to look like a piece of furniture, more sometimes was spent on the looks of it than the electronics inside! Nobody wants them anymore and most of them have probably ended up being stored away somewhere collecting dust and eventually chucked

Archived