How to sync synthesizer arp with Drum machine? and to Cubase?

Chummy

• Members

I am wondering, because I don't know where to connect, I would like to use the onboard arp of the Jupiter-6 (worth noting I have it w/ Europa mod, meaning much better MIDI compatibility + loads of arppegiator options) to sync up w/ my RX5 Yamaha Drum machine. Now, for example, I'd want an arping synbass sound onto the hi hat thus silencing the hi hat from RX5's Mixer gets me a groovy bass. Now to my question... My JUP-6 has clock and MIDI outputs, my RX5 has MIDI and different outputs for each part and iirc clock as well. and there's Cubase which I'd like to sync my gear onto.

(cubase 8). What do I do? what's the connection setup I need? what type of clocking? what settings would I want to change? and in cubase?

Thank you so much for helping a young noob trying to get into the ANALOG world :)))

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

not sure exactly what youre trying to accomplish but midi clock is what syncs these types of devices. if you have all your midi devices attached to a midi interface attached to your computer -- cubase can act as your master clock source. set it to send midi clock and the other devices you what to sync to receive midi clock (sometimes called midi time code)

as a side note. I use the arppegiator in my M3 to play my moog mother 32. to get the arpp pattern to play the mother, the M3 sound on the global channel must be set to external midi.

It's been so long since I've used an RX-5 I couldn't even begin to tell you settings... and I was never a Jupiter owner, so I can't help you there either - sorry.

Basically you want to get everything following one master MIDI clock. Probably best to use Cubase for that - assuming the other devices are capable of locking to external MIDI clock signals. The RX-5 can, but I don't know about the Jupiter's arpeggio. Assuming it can, you want to set it and the Yamaha both to receive external MIDI clocks instead of using their own internal clocks. You'll need to check your manuals for the specifics. Then plug a MIDI cable from your computer MIDI interface's MIDI Out jack(s) into the MIDI inputs on the Roland and Yamaha. If you only have a single MIDI out on the computer, run it into the Yamaha's MIDI in, and then take a second MIDI cable and run it from the Yamaha's MIDI Thru jack to the Roland's MIDI in jack.

The audio outputs can be routed however you wish.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thanks for the answer, really helpful guys :)) My scarlett 2i4 does have only 1 MIDI (in/out) so I guess that's what I gotta do, unless there's some sort of MIDI splitter thing (IDK if exists) what are examples of models with more than 1 MIDI? aside from my scarlett 2i4 I've got a poor cheap 4 channel mixer which leaves me with pretty much NOTHING to work with. Is there any way I could replace both for 1 machine that does the job of both (mixer/audio interface)? and if so which model should I get/what are my options -( Since my gear grew I need something big with more channels....)? Ii would really really appreciate help. Thanks :))

• 1 month later...

Archived