NEW IPAD 3 - Worth buying it or getting a discount on an IPAD 2?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't see any interesting features or applications for musician. Retina is vain battery, money and processing power waster. I would be looking for 2nd hand iPad 2, but I'm sure their prices are too close to iPad 3 to buy even them now. So disappoint!!! :( I was so looking forward to this!

• Members

iPAD 2 :

Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 m)

Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)

Depth: 0.34 inch (8.8 mm)

Weight: 1.33 pounds (601 g)

iPAD 3 is a wee bit bigger:

Height: 241.2 mm (9.50 inches)

Width: 185.7 mm (7.31 inches)

Depth: 9.4 mm (0.37 inches)

Weight: 652 g (1.44 pounds)

I assume it will not fit all those Music docs now...

• Members

It's thicker, so those of us who have the Alesis iO dock pro need to consider whether it will fit or not. I know the latest dock came with a cradle so the iPad 2 would fit. I wonder whether the iPad 3 is the same thickness as the original iPad. If so, then the cradle isn't necessary. However, will the new iPad 3 (or iPad HD as some are calling it) be compatible software wise?

• Members

1st generation... Much bigger by the looks...

9.56 in (243 mm) (h)

7.47 in (190 mm) (w)

0.50 in (13 mm) (d)

Assuming the IOS works on the new one with iPAD 2 apps, then some docs may not be affected by 0.6mm... Time will tell for fit and IOS how compatible it remains...

• Members

i'd buy a used iPad 2 while the market floods with them. i'm waiting for the retinal display to hit the MacBooks, that will be awesome.

I'm looking forward to those displays as well. The screen on my 17" macbook pro isn't as impressive as it used to be, but at least its matte.

• Members

ipad 3 could be interesting for a middle aged woman like my mom. we got her the ipad 1 the week it came out for her bday and the increased resolution, facetime, etc could be worth it and possibly work better with the apple tv i got them for xmas

i've been debating for a long time whether to keep my iphone or get a black berry and an ipad. ipad + iphone + macbook pro is redundant imho and way too much enthusiasm for apple :cop:

honestly it will be much more interesting to see some new touch interfaces for windows 8 tablets.

just being able to run *real* plug-in instruments like omnisphere, largo, reaktor, etc. and not some proxy would be worth it. sample libraries on an external usb 3 hdd/ssd. even mini usb 2 ports would be a good start for controllerism in general.

fruity loops, ableton live, maybe even sonar could come up with badass touch based uis that are miles ahead of what is currently on offer as "apps". plus they could run in desktop mode if not, which is basically the same as win 7.

if we could get 15" samsung quad core i7 tablets without the need for an extremely expensive macbook pro that would be true post pc

some other items on the wish list would be: drawing in sophisticated automation, touch editing plug-ins, moving lego around, assigning midi channels to hardware synths and editing them, multi track recording with plug-in effects and very low latency, sync'ing sound to a small movie box, running 64 bit rewire, etc

i've been experimenting with apps for a long time on my iphone. xenon, fruity, tenori, animoog, nlog synth, sampletank, rebirth, beatmaker 2, nanostudio, etc. granted its not the same as using them with an ipad although i did try animoog on my moms ipad at xmas (for $1 lol)

i chopped over 40 beats on my phone and its just nowhere near the capabilities of a real full-fledged daw, even in the 90s. btw i had garage band and deleted that and all the other ilife crap off my laptop. its just totally unprofessional.

why shud i use something like touch osc when there could be a real full-fledged daw on my tablet ? if apple isn't going to do it then i think tech savy musicians will switch platforms in a heart beat.

/rant]

• Members

I have no iPad, I want no iPad, I may have to buy an iPad. My trusty living room laptop is slowly dying and I've been waiting to decide what to replace it with. And if I'm going to do that then I want something that's a little bit future-proof and gets me into the mainstream at the same time. That's iPad uh 3, uh new, uh the-one-with-all-the-toppings.

• Members

I bought an IPad 2 for Teh Wife just this last Christmas. It's replaced the long-in-the-tooth Windows laptop she used to use day to day, and she just loves it to death. I've messed around with it, and yeah, it's pretty Neat-O. I don't see any real compelling reason for us to dump the iPad 2 for the iPad3, though.

I think that was smart of Apple. Just some incremental change, and not a major upgrade, so those with a 2 won't feel slighted. The diff in price is small enough that if didn't already have one, you'd probably opt for the 3.

The apps for iPad are growing exponentially. With better graphics and CPU this will only keep going on.

I have an original iPad 1 and at this moment, I still do NOT need to change it yet.

Works perfectly, even big apps like GarageBand and IK Multimedia's SampleTank which I use for playing live.

BUT... I am a lame fan boy who was waiting for the new model. So I will buy one; not immediately but soon. :D

• Members

I just sold my iPad 2 with Alesis dock, Applecare warranty and heavy duty Otterbox iPad case.

Did I need to sell it? Heck no, I loved my iPad2 and I miss it already, but sadly, I'm one of those assholes who will line up at 8am at bestBuy, the morning iPad 3 gets released.

:lol:

I was in the line the day the 2 came out, I cant help it, maybe its a sickness, I dont know. :idk:

• Members

I didn't see any interesting features or applications for musician.

We won't know until we get some "field testing." To me, the question is whether its increased processing power (and possibly increased memory) may increase its polyphony on some music apps, or allow you to work with larger sampled instruments, that kind of thing.

• Members

I won't. I love Apple's designs and products and I've been using a Mac since 1985.

But I'm trying very hard to un-digitize my life. I don't have a cel phone either or a touch-anything.

I completely don't need them and I know from experience that however much I find myself using them and depending on them they won't actually enhance the quality of my life.

but you'll pry my ipod nano from my cold dying hands

• Members

Did they say if the memory is increasing or will the top model remain at 64GB?

Storage still tops out at 64 gB. They never say how much memory the things have, but I believe the original iPad had 256k and the iPad 2 has 512k, and the relatively small memory is one of the things that can create limitations for some kinds of music apps. I'll be curious to learn if there's more in the new model.

Archived