Synthesist Suzanne Ciani interviewed on NPR

Conbrio

• Members

Yes, thanks for posting. Suzanne lives near me and I interviewed her at her home studio once for a magazine article. She is truly one of the early trailblazers of electronic music, back when synthesizers looked more like telephone switchboards. One aspect I've been impressed with in her music and which I wrote about in my interview with her is the fact that compared to many of those who were making electronic music at the time, "few are able to coax such softness, sensitivity, and human feel out of their circuitry as Suzanne Ciani. But not resting on her laurels, she has kept up with the evolution of electronic music as well as being an outstanding pianist with a classical background. I'm always glad to see her get the recognition she deserves.

• Members

But not resting on her laurels, she has kept up with the evolution of electronic music as well as being an outstanding pianist with a classical background. I'm always glad to see her get the recognition she deserves.

I was under the impression her newest albums are mostly if not all, piano. Has she released any new albums of synth-based music?

A friend of mine has some of her 80's music on CD.

• Members

I was under the impression her newest albums are mostly if not all, piano. Has she released any new albums of synth-based music?

Her Silver Ship album released in 2005 has some of that, but only on a few tunes. In looking over her more recent catalog, you are correct that it is mainly piano-based music. Some of it is solo and some with a great group of musicians she put together who perform and record as "Suzanne Ciani and The Wave" and includes Michael Manring on bass, Paul McCandless on sax, and a number of other top musicians. Her synth-based music extends up till around the mid 90's and is mostly piano after that. However, just recently she released a CD called Lixiviation which is not music but is a historical retrospective (1969 - 1985) of her commercial sound effects work created on the Buchla 200 synthesizer.

• Members

However, just recently she released a CD called Lixiviation which is not music but is a historical retrospective (1969 - 1985) of her commercial sound effects work created on the Buchla 200 synthesizer.

Yes, that is what the article (above) and interview are about.

Archived