MIDI Clock Pad? Something to store and recall MIDI tempos. . . .

Tullsterx

• Members

We're looking into running a click/rhythm track with eventually some synchronized MIDI tracks. And I was wondering if a simple "clock pad" exists that could store and recall tempo/timing data and be used as a clock master. So, that I could hit the pad and it would immediately change the rhythm tracks tempo to a preset tempo, and also could be used to start/stop playback.

I guess you could use some drum machines for that, but which one?

Any ideas?

• Members

Hi Tullsterx !!

I would suggest using a software sequencer. Cakewalk Sonar or Cubase.

The sequencer will do all the things you mentioned and send midi signals to your hardware keyboard or your software instuments or several at once. You dont need the most expensive version of cakewalk or cubase, just the basic version.

You have to downlad an instrument definition file from cakewalk for your keyboard.

You also will need a book on Sonar or Cubase. See Amazon , Scott Garrigus, Sonar Power. The only problem I see is getting an instrument definition for your software instruments.

The instrument definition has the name and patch number of every sound on the keyboard.

Visit

http://www.classicalarchives.com/

for midi files, start with some piano concertos or some Debussy midi files, and let your keyboard play them.

Midi can do Piano and keyboards flawlessly as well as drums, saxophone, flute, horns ect.

Midi has a hard time with vocals and electric guitar. It can do some acoustic guitar though.

You will also need a book on midi. See Midi Power , Amazon ISBN-10: 1598630849

I watched the youtube video of your band an thought it was very good.

• Members

Hey Happ,

I use Sonar. Can I easily cycle through 100+ sequences with sonar?. . . I'm using Cantabile and it has a pretty good MIDI track player, I plan on programming my MIDI tracks with Sonar and then loading them into Cantabile, where I can link each one to the Subsession I need for each song. Not sure if Sonar has all of the live key-rig capabilities of Cantabile. . . but, I don't really a change in that area. Anyway, my issue was finding a quick way to change to specific tempos in Cantabile, and an external MIDI clock with presets that I could slave to might be perfect, but I've found a way to handle this with Cantabile, just took some testing.

But, I am curious, do you use Sonar as a live vst host?

• Members

http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-build-a-cakewalk-ins-file/

I would use Sonar to do anything with midi. It is fully developed and has been for years.

In my opinion Sonar is much more powerful than Cantable, midi wise.

Do I use Sonar as a live vst host..Yes. Make sure you update Sonar as there may be a vst update.

Can Sonar cycle thru many midi files...Yes easily.

I would use Sonar to play midi and send midi files to all of your hardware and software synths.

You might consider finding someone else in the band with a computer and a keyboard (Yamaha PSR, Casio..to help you and begin to experiment and learn midi. Cakewalk has the same sequencer in Music Creator for $35. You would need to go to the Cakewalk forums and see how to add an instrument definition to Music Creator..

• Members

Midi can be very tedious at first, that is why I am suggesting two books...Midi Power and Sonar power. You can use an older version of the book if needed to save money.

as far as using a cheap keyboard for someone in the band to help figuring out midi , you may need a Midi Sport 2x2 or similar interface on these keyboards as they only have a usb out, as well as a usb type b adapter.

Again, the cheaper versions of Cakewalk have the same sequencer.(or very similar)...ie Music Creator ect.

You could find someone who has an electronic drumset and Sonar or Cubase to allow your drummer to play thru your setlist while recording midi, then save the midi files for future reference. You could also find someone with a mdii bass and have the bass player record your setlist with midi, in their studio with their midi equipped bass.

How hard is it to have a midi bass or guitar? It is expensive. Roland GK for guitar and Graphtech ghost for bass. Maybe Alesis for electronic drums.

You have a great functioning band, I would proceed slowly with caution as midi can be very time consuming.

• Members

Thanks happ,

Don't know where you got the idea that I don't know MIDI? Thanks, but not helpful.

I'm very dubious about Sonar being a more flexible VST host than Cantabile Regardless, I'm not switching to Sonar as a VST host, and I'm not going to waste my time looking into it.

Still might incorporate a external rhythm / drum machine to work as a master clock and click track. . . .that's what this thread is all about.

So, does anyone have any recommendations regarding a external rhythm / drum machine to run click / rhythm tracks in a live setting?

We're looking into running a click/rhythm track with eventually some synchronized MIDI tracks. And I was wondering if a simple "clock pad" exists that could store and recall tempo/timing data and be used as a clock master. So, that I could hit the pad and it would immediately change the rhythm tracks tempo to a preset tempo, and also could be used to start/stop playback.

I guess you could use some drum machines for that, but which one?

Any ideas?

Most drum machines will output MIDI clock. Alesis SR16's are abundant, cheap, and should work for what you want to do.

Of course, an app on your phone or tablet could do the job too, but you'd need to hook up a MIDI interface to it.

• Members

Thanks. After more research and testing I think I'm gonna go with a rhythm synth VST plugin, and just handle tempo management with Cantabile. Currently I'm big on Sonic Charge Microtonic, but there's lots of testing to do to make sure it can do all I need.

Archived