Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland JP-8000...am I crazy or is this thing awesome?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland JP-8000...am I crazy or is this thing awesome?

I walked into a small local music store in Smyrna, Georgia just looking to pick up a talk back mic and headphones...then there it was in the tiny keyboard room, looking all night-at-the roxbury blue satin finish. And they were only asking $350 for it in nearly mint condition!

I am just winging it for now without a manual or video and admittedly it's a lot freakin' sliders and knobs that just beg to be tweaked...I've already stumbled across lots of out---there sounds. And yeah, the supersaw is kinda the cheesy one but the oscillators are just sweet!

My first VA synth and I'll need months to figure it out, but HOT DAMN I do love my local Dirt Cheep Music! This thing is so much fun to play.

Anyone with any tips on how to approach this or links to simple VA programming would be greatly appreciated.

Allen

Nice! The Yahoo!groups/JP-8000 would be a good place to visit.
    ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

The JP8000 really is a great synth. It's odd that Roland was able to put out something like the JP8000/8080 15 years ago and haven't really gone much further in VAs since then.
      Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

how is jp8000 compared to anx1 ?

Comment

JP8000 has way more aliasing than AN1x which magically has almost none. AN1x has better effects and much more flexible modulation capabilities. JP8000 is quite a bit more limited in the scope of sounds it can do.

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezator...and_jp8000.htm

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezator...amaha_an1x.htm

If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

It is an historical classic for Roland and is a favorite synth of many artists. It's right up there with the Nord Lead and Access Virus.

Enjoy!
            https://soundcloud.com/jersey-blokeDSI Mopho X4Elektron Analog FourAkai MPC 2500StudioLive 16.0.2 Digital MixerAllen & Heath Xone VF-1 Analog Stereo FilterStudio One V2.5 Professional EditionAbleton Live 9 Standard

Comment

You are not crazy. The JP8000 is the hell of a synth. Awesome stuff. Congrats.
              www.guslozada.com

Comment

An1x does sound better to me but the JP-8000 is great and it has the best interface. 350 is great, they're usually $500 something and still worth it.

Still want one. Its a bit big, therefore I want a JP-8080 maybe.
                http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

Where in Smyrna is this place? I'm over that way occasionally, it'd be cool to check it out.
                  Yamaha MOX8 | E-Mu Emax (SE Upgrade) | Yamaha RX11 | Yamaha TG33 | Yamaha DX7 | Roland Alpha Juno | Roland D50 | Roland JV-2080 | Korg DDD-1 | Oberheim DMX (w/ Factory MIDI)
                  MacBook Pro (Core i7) | Zoom R-16 | Yamaha HSM-50s | Cubase 5 | Ableton Live Intro | Novation Launchpad

Video Home System - 80s/Synthpop/Electronic
                  Tumblr
                  Facebook
                  Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I am pretty well versed in the traditional "meat and potatoes" sounds like acoustic and epianos, hammond clones, clavinet, etc. Never really got into analog stuff until more recently, mostly for just some spaces soundscapes in the middle of a jam.

I've heard both the AN1X and the JP and really, it may just be a matter of taste, but I really hate how the Yammie looks...yeah, yeah, I know you get it for the sounds but really, it's just damn ugly. Not really sure what aliasing is, but will do my research....don't know if it really makes a huge hill of beans for what I am doing.

And to the Mikeypanky, Dirt Cheep Music in on the corner of South Cobb Drive and Wind Hill road...it's really kind of a dump but occasionally a gem shows up there and it's priced pretty low! Cool staff there too....I really can't stand the Guitar Center in Marietta...total douchebags and they never really cut good deals. At least the local Sam Ash has a fair amount of keyboards and the staff actually gives a **************** about their products.

Hey, all I know is that I didn't have to spend Moog type cash to get some pretty nice sounds. Though about a Venom, Gaia, or Ultranova but this thing seems more "hands on" and fun to play.

Thanks gents,

Allen

Gear: Roland RD-700GX, Nord Electro 3-73, Roland JP-8000, Roland SP-555 Sampler, Roland Handsonic HPD-10, Jamhub Tourbus, Allen and Heath ZED 22FX, Allen and Heath ZED 10FX, Mackie 1402VLZ3, Radial JDI Duplex, 2 QSC K-12's, 2 Mackie SRM350V2's, Hohner Fire Melodica, Grandma's accordion, Roland TD-9KXS V-Drums, and one very understanding wife.

Comment

Great synth, in great condition, for a great price? Nice job man! It should fit well in your rig. Just keep messing with it. Roland gear is pretty easy to stumble thru. Always wanted one but I had just bought the Nord Lead prior to the Roland's existence and let it the Roland slip away during it's production run, which was pretty long. It has features that even the Nord lead 2X lacks. But visa-versa of course. Have fun.....

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by halluxone
                        View Post

And to the Mikeypanky, Dirt Cheep Music in on the corner of South Cobb Drive and Wind Hill road...it's really kind of a dump but occasionally a gem shows up there and it's priced pretty low! Cool staff there too....I really can't stand the Guitar Center in Marietta...total douchebags and they never really cut good deals. At least the local Sam Ash has a fair amount of keyboards and the staff actually gives a **************** about their products.

When I lived in Hotlanta many moons ago I used to love going to Rhythm City. Is it still in business?
                        "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada
                          View Post

You are not crazy. The JP8000 is the hell of a synth. Awesome stuff. Congrats.

agree 100000000%
                          Guess what? ! I have a Fever and the prescription is more cowbell !

Moog Modular,B3 leslie,gran piano, GX1

Comment

we all agree it's an awesome synth. an1x is a different beast. everyone should have both

Comment

I love how the "Roland JP8000 vs Yamaha AN1x" debate threads happen like twice a year on this forum. It's like Coke vs. Pepsi, Harvard vs. Yale, The Lakers vs. The Celtics...
                              Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Working...
                              X