iZotope Iris

MuzikB

• Members

Meh. It's a nice visual way to represent filtering, but that's basically all that's going on (with some LFOs and envelopes thrown in for good measure).

I just don't think you get it. Different strokes for different folks.

This is brilliant!

• Members

I haven't had a chance to try the demo yet, but definitely plan on doing so. It is a very interesting concept, and from what others have said on KVR, it is very easy to use. The only problem I have with it so far is that I haven't heard anything anyone has done with it that sounds worth a damn. That and everything sounds so "reverby".

• Members

Maybe I didn't understand what was happening in the videos, but basically you take a brush of some sort and "paint" out the parts of the audio spectrum you want to have play back at any particular time. That, to me, is more or less a bandpass filter whose width and center frequency vary over time. You can stack various sounds you create this way, apply some filters and some envelopes, and so on. Oh and it automagically maps a sample for you across the keyboard, which is nice.

If there's a lot more to it than that, I'm all ears. But if that's basically what it is then I'm still meh.

• Members

I haven't had a chance to try the demo yet, but definitely plan on doing so. It is a very interesting concept, and from what others have said on KVR, it is very easy to use. The only problem I have with it so far is that I haven't heard anything anyone has done with it that sounds worth a damn. That and everything sounds so "reverby".

Give it some time and think outside the box. I already showed what I've done with one JD-800 sample to one of my college professors and he was impressed.

• Members

Maybe I didn't understand what was happening in the videos, but basically you take a brush of some sort and "paint" out the parts of the audio spectrum you want to have play back at any particular time. That, to me, is more or less a bandpass filter whose width and center frequency vary over time. You can stack various sounds you create this way, apply some filters and some envelopes, and so on. Oh and it automagically maps a sample for you across the keyboard, which is nice.

If there's a lot more to it than that, I'm all ears. But if that's basically what it is then I'm still meh.

You can chose any area in any audio recording and manipulate the harmonics of its' sound. This manipulation has NO boundaries in size and shape as you can draw and/or map out the audio spectrum of a sound or recording to be manipulated. On top of that it successfully maps out a sound from one sample with damn good fidelity.

I can't seem to put this synth down and my grades are going to suffer because of it. I have way to many sample libraries to be idle with this synth and I can't wait to use this with a MiniBrute. :)

In my mind, this is bought already. I'm just physically waiting until Thursday to get through this week of school. I'm at college now playing with the demo.

It's extremely easy to use but it's all the better if you know what your looking at. I showed it to a few students but they don't know what's going on or what they're looking at. :(

• Members

Give it some time and think outside the box. I already showed what I've done with one JD-800 sample to one of my college professors and he was impressed.

Yeah, I'm eager to give it a go. I certainly can see the possibilities of some amazing creations, I think I just haven't been keen on what little I've heard from others so far. It is intriguing!

• Members

Maybe I didn't understand what was happening in the videos, but basically you take a brush of some sort and "paint" out the parts of the audio spectrum you want to have play back at any particular time. That, to me, is more or less a bandpass filter whose width and center frequency vary over time.

Right, but it's hard to be that surgically precise with a conventional band-pass filter (especially with how the X axis of the display lets you essentially automate sweeps), and even then it takes a good amount of experience, as well as some old-fashioned trial and error. (Not to mention, a far better ear than mine.) Iris just appears to make the process more intuitive, allowing you to get your desired results on the first try.

I've always felt that spectral displays are great workflow enhancers when dealing with audio, and this program seems to take that concept and run with it. Sure, every feature they've demonstrated has been done elsewhere, but it looks like they've made some real strides in not just speeding things up, but also getting those functions to interact with each other in meaningful ways. It seems like it's not so much about doing things that haven't been done before, but rather allowing you to do them faster, without sacrificing control.

So I guess it largely depends on what people consider to be the criteria for a significant development.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely usefulness in the technique of applying multiple moving bandpass filters to a sound. I'm thinking right now, for instance, of some fun programs I could do for the PC3 that essentially implement this stuff, but with upgrades.

For instance -- what if your spectrum comes from an FM operator pair which itself can be set into motion in various ways. You apply the filtering/DSP to different spectral bands within the sound, and then the result gets fed into another FM operator (which can, of course, be modulated as well). Now multiply that by five or eight or some similar number -- that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of. Based on my recent experiences with formant filters and FM you could make some really crazy stuff that way. Now, if this plugin can do _that_ then we're talking. That's more on the level of the kind of things the PC3 can do (and lots, lots more).

• Members

Got an email on this earlier this week, and it looks awesome. MusikB, if you say it's amazing, I'll snag it this weekend.

How good is it at finding fundamentals from seemingly atonal sources and mapping them across the keyboard? Are there many timestrech-engine-esque-sounding artifacts?

Cheers!

• Members

It looks interesting. It is not clear to me whether it offers anything new versus say Camel Audio Alchemy. It has a spectral resynthesizer and visual sonogram editor with different brushes, etc. and lets you cut, past, move, etc. portions of the sonogram as you would an manipulate an image. You can also import your own images, edit and play them like sonograms, and use the morphing tools to blend different sounds together. I will have to check Iris out tonight when I am at my DAW PC.

Tone2's Gladiator synthesizer is also a sonogram manipulating synthesizer, but it does not have analysis or data import. You can only work with harmonic content that ships with the synth (and that you buy as expansions) but there is plenty of stuff there to enable a very broad range of sonic possibilities (think of it like working with the wave tables in Largo, Blofeld, or Virus TI or something like that). Also there are a fixed set of mathematical operations on the sonogram that are built in. Tone2 doesn't state the synthesis method used in Gladiator in exactly the same way (they call it "Harmonic Content Mapping") but it is basically applying various mathematical operations to and changing the way you scan through sonograms. It actually sounds really good and is sort of a refreshing way to do things in my humble opinion.

• Members

Got an email on this earlier this week, and it looks awesome. MusikB, if you say it's amazing, I'll snag it this weekend.

How good is it at finding fundamentals from seemingly atonal sources and mapping them across the keyboard? Are there many timestrech-engine-esque-sounding artifacts?

Cheers!

I haven't really noticed a bunch of artifacts so far but keep in mind that my monitors are Yamaha HS 80M's. Not really known for outstanding clarity or detail, just good translation. I also haven't gotten my Apollo yet either.

You can use the zoom tool to really isolate content. The zoom works well while viewing the spectrum and/or the waveform.

I'm buying this after class today to really have at it for a few hours with its' full content.

• Members

It looks interesting. It is not clear to me whether it offers anything new versus say
. It has a spectral resynthesizer and visual sonogram editor with different brushes, etc. and lets you cut, past, move, etc. portions of the sonogram as you would an manipulate an image. You can also import your own images, edit and play them like sonograms, and use the morphing tools to blend different sounds together. I will have to check Iris out tonight when I am at my DAW PC.

Tone2's Gladiator synthesizer is also a sonogram manipulating synthesizer, but it does not have analysis or data import. You can only work with harmonic content that ships with the synth (and that you buy as expansions) but there is plenty of stuff there to enable a very broad range of sonic possibilities (think of it like working with the wave tables in Largo, Blofeld, or Virus TI or something like that). Also there are a fixed set of mathematical operations on the sonogram that are built in. Tone2 doesn't state the synthesis method used in Gladiator in exactly the same way (they call it "Harmonic Content Mapping") but it is basically applying various mathematical operations to and changing the way you scan through sonograms. It actually sounds really good and is sort of a refreshing way to do things in my humble opinion.

The main kicker is the interface for me. It's brilliant and just lets me get to it rather quickly and still be very creative.

I would say it's like the Ableton Live of softsamplers. Quick and creative.

• Members

It looks like Iris has a nice UI. I just watched the videos.

If you haven't already then I would suggest at least giving Alchemy a try-out and watch some of the tutorial videos then decide which one works better for you. The Alchemy tutorials that are 2 years old or newer are available in HD.

Alchemy Tutorial 1

I wouldn't jettison Kontakt just yet either if you own a license. There is just so much out there for it and you never know when you might just need it.

• Members

It looks like Iris has a nice UI. I just watched the videos.

If you haven't already then I would suggest at least giving Alchemy a try-out and watch some of the tutorial videos then decide which one works better for you. The Alchemy tutorials that are 2 years old or newer are available in HD.

I wouldn't jettison Kontakt just yet either if you own a license. There is just so much out there for it and you never know when you might just need it.

Alchemy sounds great but I'm just too caught up in Iris right now.

• Members

Cheers!

So far, the sample mapping is pretty solid up to +/- 3 octaves. You start to get some artifacts after that with Radius RT on.

• Members

when I saw "replace" kontakt, I didn't bother to read up about it. but today I did read some info about it. So if I like a sound in a song, I can "isolate" it and very easily create a patch out of it ? I've never been brave to do any sampling

• Members

when I saw "replace" kontakt, I didn't bother to read up about it. but today I did read some info about it. So if I like a sound in a song, I can "isolate" it and very easily create a patch out of it ? I've never been brave to do any sampling

Yes. Although, that sample is still subject to copyright law.

• Members

Like MuzicB said, the recorded sample is subject to copywrite law. However you can record your own instruments or, like the videos for Iris showed, record sounds from the man-made or natural environment and use them as you want. The other reason for keeping Kontakt around is that there are an almost overwhelming number of professional sampled instruments for it available from third parties that you can buy and use ranging from common to extremely rare and/or unusual. Also Kontakt has a scripting language that enables you or third party developers to create very interesting sample-based instruments. So if you are producing professionally, it is a very useful tool to have in your toolbox.

• Members

amazing

this would be perfect for some baddass industrial robo-step

the interface reminds me of a cross between razor and audition and sounds like a cross between alchemy and meta synth. there are many ways to achieve the same sounds but like muzikb said interface is key

isotope has some other cool plugs I've seen like spectron, trash and of course the t-pain effect

• Members

this might be a dumb question, but can this isolate and/or remove vocals from a song? not concerned with copyrights, this would just be for fun.

No, unless the vocals had no spectral content along with a beat. The song would have to be pretty minimal.

Archived