Yes, another thread about keyboard cases

• Members

Has anyone had any experience with these Ultimate Support USS1-76?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Keyboard.html

604174.jpg

I need one for my Kurzweil PC3. It's 5.1 lbs. I am wondering if it will be sufficient for backseat riding, and getting rolled around on a hand truck.

I had previously tried a Gator GK76, and I loved it, but it was too long for my backseat, plus it weighs over 20 lbs. empty.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/resou...rt_catalog.pdf

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic View Post
Has anyone had any experience with these Ultimate Support USS1-76?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Keyboard.html

604174.jpg

I need one for my Kurzweil PC3. It's 5.1 lbs. I am wondering if it will be sufficient for backseat riding, and getting rolled around on a hand truck.

I had previously tried a Gator GK76, and I loved it, but it was too long for my backseat, plus it weighs over 20 lbs. empty.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/resou...rt_catalog.pdf
Kurzweil PC3 has 88 keys. This looks like a 76 key case - ummm... heh? eek.gifconfused.gif

• 7 months later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by GigMan View Post
oh, right - sorry, was thinking of the PC3X redface.gif
OK, I never did order this USS case, but recently found it in my local Best Buy. Sorry to report that it's just another bag. The photo is deceptive. It is not rigid at all. They must have put Styrofoam blocks in it to make it look like that.

On a much more positive note, I just saw the 88 key version of this semi-rigid SKB case in GC:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB-1SKB...03-i1368558.gc

Everyone else has it for $279, but GC has it on sale for $149. That's a pretty hefty discount.

It's no great shakes, but it certainly is sturdy enough for personal transport. And it has wheels, also, although they are cheap - not the neoprene inline skate type.

Unfortunately, this still does not fit the bill for me - too long for my backseat, by a few inches. Otherwise, I would buy it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GigMan View Post
I have a couple of the the Gator Case "semi-rigid" cases now, one for my Korg M3:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK61/

and the longer one for my Yamaha MoX8:
www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK88Slim/

I love 'em! For "personal transport" - i.e., in my own car & I'm the only one handling them - - I think they're hard to beat... thumb.gifcool.gif
I ordered the GK-76 from bhphotovideo.com for $149/free shipping, which is a great deal. But they had the wrong specs on the site and I had to send it back. A few inches too long.

I'm getting to the point where it might just be easier to buy a different car!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic View Post
On a much more positive note, I just saw the 88 key version of this semi-rigid SKB case in GC:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB-1SKB...03-i1368558.gc

Everyone else has it for $279, but GC has it on sale for $149. That's a pretty hefty discount.

It's no great shakes, but it certainly is sturdy enough for personal transport. And it has wheels, also, although they are cheap - not the neoprene inline skate type.

Unfortunately, this still does not fit the bill for me - too long for my backseat, by a few inches. Otherwise, I would buy it.
Thanks for the timely info!!

I am on my way after work to GC to scope out the 88-key version. And after checking the wheels and taking some measurements, I just might treat myself to both as a Christmas present to me, or start dropping hints to the Mrs. icon_lol.gif

I've had a 76-key bag from "The Friend" for over ten years. It's served me fairly well through a couple of QS7's and my current PC3, but is very long in the tooth now-especially the padding which is shot in places.

Also my wheeled bag for the 700NX, 5 y/o, is on the way out. The wheels have splayed and paranoia has set in about the handle and padding.

And at my age, safer to have something a little harder to carry and store my axes in. Just in case my grip slips going down the stairs to the practice room in the drummer's basement. . .

So thanks again!

Getting them into the back of an Avalanche shouldn't be an issue . . .

• Members

I haven't had as many different cases as many of you I expect, but I'll give my 2c.

Just in case (no indication you are looking here) but I'd avoid the cheap "road-looking" ebay cases. There are several different brands that probably are all made in the same spot. I've got one for my motif, and while everything's intact it's pretty flimsy. That's not so bad for me, but the really irritating part is that the edges tear up upholstery in my car.

I much, much prefer the SKB case I got used. I don't know how strong it is, but it's more than enough for personal transport. Light, easy to carry, and really quick to latch/unlatch. That "road case" above has the metal latches that tend to swing back down after you open them, so you have to move them again before the lid will open (hard to describe, suffice to say it's more difficult than it should be).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKeys View Post
Thanks for the timely info!!

I am on my way after work to GC to scope out the 88-key version. And after checking the wheels and taking some measurements, I just might treat myself to both as a Christmas present to me, or start dropping hints to the Mrs. icon_lol.gif

I've had a 76-key bag from "The Friend" for over ten years. It's served me fairly well through a couple of QS7's and my current PC3, but is very long in the tooth now-especially the padding which is shot in places.

Also my wheeled bag for the 700NX, 5 y/o, is on the way out. The wheels have splayed and paranoia has set in about the handle and padding.

And at my age, safer to have something a little harder to carry and store my axes in. Just in case my grip slips going down the stairs to the practice room in the drummer's basement. . .

So thanks again!

Getting them into the back of an Avalanche shouldn't be an issue . . .

Highly, highly recommended:

http://gorillagripgloves.com/

$4.95 a pair at Home Depot.

• Members

Our practice spot is down steps too. I take my S70XS out of the case in the garage and carry it down that way. Otherwise it'd be a 2 person job- it's an 88 key SKB case, I added some extra padding in to shorten up the interior so it fits firmly in there.

I used a gig bag type case on my S90ES. It lasted several years though I did have to reattach one of the wheels that had a rivet tear thru the case. A couple larger washers and nuts and bolts fixed it. Same thing happened with the main handle, but some aluminum bars on either side and new nuts and bolts fixed that.

I use soft gig bags for my Nord Stage and my Moog. I always load my own gear into my own vehicle and I have never had an issue with damaging anything. I'd use a soft bag for the Yamaha too, but I already had the SKB case laying around so I put it to use.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dan88z View Post
Our practice spot is down steps too. I take my S70XS out of the case in the garage and carry it down that way. Otherwise it'd be a 2 person job- it's an 88 key SKB case, I added some extra padding in to shorten up the interior so it fits firmly in there.

I used a gig bag type case on my S90ES. It lasted several years though I did have to reattach one of the wheels that had a rivet tear thru the case. A couple larger washers and nuts and bolts fixed it. Same thing happened with the main handle, but some aluminum bars on either side and new nuts and bolts fixed that.

I use soft gig bags for my Nord Stage and my Moog. I always load my own gear into my own vehicle and I have never had an issue with damaging anything. I'd use a soft bag for the Yamaha too, but I already had the SKB case laying around so I put it to use.
Much respect to your ingenuity and "fixit" skills, Dan! (as far as repairing the busted wheel & handle on the other cases)... wave.gifthumb.gif

But... I think you're nuts to "hand carry" the S70XS naked - down a flight of stairs, OUT OF IT's CASE!? eek.gif What if you trip on a stair? What if you don't carry it perfectly straight and bang it on the walls or hand rail?

I used to buggy-lug my Yamaha S90ES in a hardshell Gator case up and down my basement stairs (I store stuff in my bsmt. and set it up to practice there once in a blue moon, too)... - holy crap was that heavy. But I couldn't imagine hand carrying it - just too much risk of dropping or banging it. Sold the Yam. S90ES & now I move a Yamaha MoX8 in a semi-rigid case up and down those same stairs - - what a HUGE difference in weight/bulk (compared to what the S90ES was), it is sooooo much lighter. wink.gif

Archived