No announcement yet.

Yes, another thread about keyboard cases

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, another thread about keyboard cases

Has anyone had any experience with these Ultimate Support USS1-76?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Keyboard.html

I need one for my Kurzweil PC3. It's 5.1 lbs. I am wondering if it will be sufficient for backseat riding, and getting rolled around on a hand truck.

I had previously tried a Gator GK76, and I loved it, but it was too long for my backseat, plus it weighs over 20 lbs. empty.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/resou...rt_catalog.pdf
    "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

I guess I'll buy it blind and just trust the USS brand.
    "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

Never seen that one - the raised triangular flap thing is kind of strange, I wonder what the purpose is.
      Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mate_stubb
        View Post

Never seen that one - the raised triangular flap thing is kind of strange, I wonder what the purpose is.

It's a compartment for pedals, cords, etc.

Comment

If you order this please report back with your impressions.
          Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic
            View Post

Has anyone had any experience with these Ultimate Support USS1-76?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Keyboard.html

I need one for my Kurzweil PC3. It's 5.1 lbs. I am wondering if it will be sufficient for backseat riding, and getting rolled around on a hand truck.

I had previously tried a Gator GK76, and I loved it, but it was too long for my backseat, plus it weighs over 20 lbs. empty.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/resou...rt_catalog.pdf

Kurzweil PC3 has 88 keys. This looks like a 76 key case - ummm... heh?
            "Gigito ergo sum: I Gig, therefore I Am."

Keys:
            Yamaha MotifXF6 - (bottom tier) & Korg M361 (top)
            Roland RD300GX (88 keys - smaller gigs & when I play left hand bass)

Mixers, Spkrs.:
            (2) QSC K12's, (2) QSC K10's, (2) QSC K8's
            1 JBL PRX715XLF Subwoofer
            Motion Sound KP200S & KP100S kybd. amps (rarely use any more)
            Allen & Heath MixWiz3, Soundcraft MFXi8, Yamaha MG82cx,
            Mackie ProFX12, Alesis TransActive 50, [Samson PL1602 - For Sale]
            Fender Rumble 100 Bass Amp (for Ibanez SR500 Bass)

Comment

No, the PC3 has 76 keys:

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3/

Comment

View Post

No, the PC3 has 76 keys:

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3/

oh, right - sorry, was thinking of the PC3X

Keys:

Mixers, Spkrs.:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GigMan
                  View Post

oh, right - sorry, was thinking of the PC3X

OK, I never did order this USS case, but recently found it in my local Best Buy. Sorry to report that it's just another bag. The photo is deceptive. It is not rigid at all. They must have put Styrofoam blocks in it to make it look like that.

On a much more positive note, I just saw the 88 key version of this semi-rigid SKB case in GC:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB-1SKB...03-i1368558.gc

Everyone else has it for $279, but GC has it on sale for $149. That's a pretty hefty discount.

It's no great shakes, but it certainly is sturdy enough for personal transport. And it has wheels, also, although they are cheap - not the neoprene inline skate type.

Unfortunately, this still does not fit the bill for me - too long for my backseat, by a few inches. Otherwise, I would buy it.

Comment

I have a couple of the the Gator Case "semi-rigid" cases now, one for my Korg M3:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK61/

and the longer one for my Yamaha MoX8:

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK88Slim/

I love 'em! For "personal transport" - i.e., in my own car & I'm the only one handling them - - I think they're hard to beat...

Keys:

Mixers, Spkrs.:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GigMan
                      View Post

I have a couple of the the Gator Case "semi-rigid" cases now, one for my Korg M3:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK61/

and the longer one for my Yamaha MoX8:

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK88Slim/

I love 'em! For "personal transport" - i.e., in my own car & I'm the only one handling them - - I think they're hard to beat...

I ordered the GK-76 from bhphotovideo.com for $149/free shipping, which is a great deal. But they had the wrong specs on the site and I had to send it back. A few inches too long.

I'm getting to the point where it might just be easier to buy a different car!

Comment

View Post

On a much more positive note, I just saw the 88 key version of this semi-rigid SKB case in GC:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB-1SKB...03-i1368558.gc

Everyone else has it for $279, but GC has it on sale for $149. That's a pretty hefty discount.

It's no great shakes, but it certainly is sturdy enough for personal transport. And it has wheels, also, although they are cheap - not the neoprene inline skate type.

Unfortunately, this still does not fit the bill for me - too long for my backseat, by a few inches. Otherwise, I would buy it.

Thanks for the timely info!!

I am on my way after work to GC to scope out the 88-key version. And after checking the wheels and taking some measurements, I just might treat myself to both as a Christmas present to me, or start dropping hints to the Mrs.

I've had a 76-key bag from "The Friend" for over ten years. It's served me fairly well through a couple of QS7's and my current PC3, but is very long in the tooth now-especially the padding which is shot in places.

Also my wheeled bag for the 700NX, 5 y/o, is on the way out. The wheels have splayed and paranoia has set in about the handle and padding.

And at my age, safer to have something a little harder to carry and store my axes in. Just in case my grip slips going down the stairs to the practice room in the drummer's basement. . .

So thanks again!

Getting them into the back of an Avalanche shouldn't be an issue . . .
                        - Mike

CP4, PC3, Traynor K4

Comment

I haven't had as many different cases as many of you I expect, but I'll give my 2c.

Just in case (no indication you are looking here) but I'd avoid the cheap "road-looking" ebay cases. There are several different brands that probably are all made in the same spot. I've got one for my motif, and while everything's intact it's pretty flimsy. That's not so bad for me, but the really irritating part is that the edges tear up upholstery in my car.

I much, much prefer the SKB case I got used. I don't know how strong it is, but it's more than enough for personal transport. Light, easy to carry, and really quick to latch/unlatch. That "road case" above has the metal latches that tend to swing back down after you open them, so you have to move them again before the lid will open (hard to describe, suffice to say it's more difficult than it should be).

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKeys
                            View Post

Thanks for the timely info!!

I am on my way after work to GC to scope out the 88-key version. And after checking the wheels and taking some measurements, I just might treat myself to both as a Christmas present to me, or start dropping hints to the Mrs.

I've had a 76-key bag from "The Friend" for over ten years. It's served me fairly well through a couple of QS7's and my current PC3, but is very long in the tooth now-especially the padding which is shot in places.

Also my wheeled bag for the 700NX, 5 y/o, is on the way out. The wheels have splayed and paranoia has set in about the handle and padding.

And at my age, safer to have something a little harder to carry and store my axes in. Just in case my grip slips going down the stairs to the practice room in the drummer's basement. . .

So thanks again!

Getting them into the back of an Avalanche shouldn't be an issue . . .

Highly, highly recommended:

http://gorillagripgloves.com/

$4.95 a pair at Home Depot.

Comment

Our practice spot is down steps too. I take my S70XS out of the case in the garage and carry it down that way. Otherwise it'd be a 2 person job- it's an 88 key SKB case, I added some extra padding in to shorten up the interior so it fits firmly in there.

I used a gig bag type case on my S90ES. It lasted several years though I did have to reattach one of the wheels that had a rivet tear thru the case. A couple larger washers and nuts and bolts fixed it. Same thing happened with the main handle, but some aluminum bars on either side and new nuts and bolts fixed that.

I use soft gig bags for my Nord Stage and my Moog. I always load my own gear into my own vehicle and I have never had an issue with damaging anything. I'd use a soft bag for the Yamaha too, but I already had the SKB case laying around so I put it to use.
                              My Live Gear: Roland FA-08, Hammond SK1-73, Nord Lead A1
                              My Bands: http://www.bksband.com
                              www.echoesrocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X