Miniak or Microstation??- Or something else?

• Members

I'm undecided on which keyboard to get, both I understand do different jobs well.

Besides from using as a standalone, I will be using the keyboard to play vsti, I don't really need to fiddle with the parameters since I have a BCR2000 for that. So any information regarding the feel of the keyboard be great.

I also don't mind the micro keys on the microstation, I have small asian hands so in fact it be easier for me to play complex chords easier.

I like the Miniak but the bummer for me is that it doesn't have electronic piano presets, from checking the yahoo micron yahoo group it is possible but doesn't sound great to be honest. However, the look and build is really appealing.

The Microstation is something else that I like, it has a wide range of sounds however, the build isn't great I hear but the Rhodes, piano sound great and has some nice synths I can tweak.

So which one should I lean to?, if it helps the music I produce falls into the sonic realms of Flying Lotus, Daedalus, DJ Shadow, Cam, Madlib.

I want to have a keyboard so I can learn and to create instead of chopping up samples and using them in my songs.

Thanks

• Members

The lack of a good piano on Miniak could be considered to be somewhat tempered by the fact that you can't play much in the way of piano parts on a 3 octave keyboard anyway.

I had a Micron (similar to Miniak)... nice VA synth sounds, but not fun to work with from the front panel, which to me should be part of the joy of that kind of synth in the first place. The Microstation, as you presumably know, is an entirely different kind of instrument, a rompler, so weaker on pure synth, but more versatile overall.

• Members

Welcome to the forum. If you want to LEARN keyboard, 61 keys would be the least you need. I just got a Microstation 4 days ago, and I love it. I have previous mini key experience, with DX-100 and CS-01. Sounds are fatter than expected, with keybed solid and easy to get used to. Richard

• Members

Miniak is a nice VA synth but that's all it is and its only got 37 keys. Microstation is fine if possibly a bit too generic but I like them. I'd personally buy a nice controller and some more VSTs for EP and any other sounds your after. It seems the music you're doing is more about manipulated samples, etc.

• Members

I have both. The microstation is a amazing...it is like a shrunken Korg M1, but better. I found one used locally for $290. You can always MIDI in with a full sized KB. I sat on the bed the other night and played it with headphones on for 2 hours. I cannot honestly believe how much I like it.

• Members

Miniak is a nice VA synth but that's all it is and its only got 37 keys. Microstation is fine if possibly a bit too generic but I like them. I'd personally buy a nice controller and some more VSTs for EP and any other sounds your after. It seems the music you're doing is more about manipulated samples, etc.

Hi

I don't think 37 keys would be an issue I think - please correct me. I be playing some songs but I writing chord progressions, melodies.

I prefer a standalone since I really want to distance myself from the computer until the very last stage.

• Members

I own both the Miniak and the Microstation and both are good. The only problem I have with the Microstation is that if I am wanting to do deep editing of the sounds i have to use a laptop/computer as the Microstation doesn't support full editing from its front panel which I was disappointed about considering I bought the Microstation for its portability. The only problem with the Miniak is that it lacks a USB port. So if you like deep editing of sounds on the front panel then I would recommend the Miniak but as you don't really want to fiddle with the parameters I would recommend the Microstation has it has USB and makes a great portable master keyboard.

• Members

If you want to LEARN keyboard, 61 keys would be the least you need.

I agree 100%. An alternative to both keyboards the OP suggested might be the new Casio XW-P1 (pictured below). It has a decent synth section along with good piano, organ, and orchestral samples onboard.

Just a thought.

Casio-XWP1-Performance-Synthesizer.jpg

• Members

I prefer a standalone since I really want to distance myself from the computer until the very last stage.

If you're looking for it also a a self-contained compositional tool, then the Microstation would be the way to go. I don't know much about the Miniak's sequencer capabilities, but I'm sure they are not in same league as the Korg's, even if for no other reason that it has only 8 voice polyphony. While they do overlap in some ways, fundamentally, one is a VA synth and the other is a workstation.

• Members

I agree 100%. An alternative to both keyboards the OP suggested might be the new Casio XW-P1 (pictured below). It has a decent synth section along with good piano, organ, and orchestral samples onboard.

Just a thought.

Casio-XWP1-Performance-Synthesizer.jpg

Wow the CASIO XW-G1 looks really nice, not sure if I want the DJ G1 or XW-P1. There's not many if at all reviews.

• Members

37 is enough for me but I'm not a great player. I come up with a lot of stuff on a Korg Prophecy which is only 37 keys - and its monophonic as a synth but poly as a controller - and I even come up with tunes on little Casios but I still prefer 61 keys.

The new Casios are promising but I'd try one first.

• Members

Have you played a microStation?

I spent some time with one at a dealer and found the keys just plain annoying :mad: Ironically the less experienced you are playing keyboards the more likely you'll adjust to it :poke:

Soundwise, it's a bargain at the current reduced price. I'm a Motif kinda guy but I must admit the microStation sounds way better than I expected.

• Members

If you don't plan on using the sequencer on the microSTATION, look into the Korg X50.

hero_X50.jpg

It's bigger, but still has the same amount of keys and is really light weight. The synth engine and sound set are similar and on-board editing is a million times easier.

• Members

If you don't plan on using the sequencer on the microSTATION, look into the Korg X50.

The synth engine and sound set are similar

The X50 uses the HI engine, from the previous generation of Korgs (i.e. MicroX, TR, Triton), the Microstation uses EDS-i, a scaled down version of the EDS engine from the later M3 and M50. The X50 actually has a bigger ROM and more sounds. The Microstation has 5 insert effects (vs 1) and double the polyphony. So... different engines and sound sets, though I guess they are both "Korgish." ;-) But if he's doing composition on it, I suspect the sequencer is pretty crucial...

• Members

I have seen the XW-P1 in action decent sounds good, on the panel editing, and great sequencer! The Microstation is a great deal at $399 though. The Miniak is my least favorite. I would by an M-audio Venom over the Miniak.

• Members

Its all about the sounds

Well that's always subjective. But romplers don't make the best synths, and VA synths don't have good pianos. IMO, the XW-P1 is pretty weak for piano and EP (not as good as the Microstation) but may be sufficient for some people... at least the board does make some attempt at being both a VA synth and a rompler, and a clonewheel organ for that matter, which is a first for a $500 board. Obviously it's not as small and light as the other two boards you're looking at, I don't know how important that is to you.

If you happen to own an iPad, there are some very cool and inexpensive synth apps you can get there, and you can drive them over MIDI from whatever board you get.

• Members

Even though its rompler section might have short comings, I believe(haven't yet tried this particular Casio) that XW-P1 has actually pretty good pianos, among a couple of other nice surprises. Casios samples have their well deserved reputation, but don't let it stain all of its (sample)sounds.

• Members

Its all about the sounds, if I can avoid software then that be a plus. I rather have my MPC and just a synth/decent rhodes/piano patch then that be ideal

Another thing worth mentioning is that there's some functions on the microSTATION which require using the editor. The editor makes life much easier because trying to dive deep into parameter editing can be a total nightmare since it's all done on a calculator sized screen with no shift functions. I have nearly ten years of experience using a Roland MC-505 which also has a tiny screen, but even that didn't prepare me for the labyrinth of menus on the microSTATION.

But again, the X50 really is a good alternative if you're looking portability, a full set of keys and the good selection of Korg ROM sounds. Plus you can strap it on like a keytar! I was considering for quite awhile, but I also wanted something with a built-in sequencer to avoid needing less gear for performances.

Archived