Fantom S and X?

• Members

The Fantom X has double the polyphony of the S (128 voice vs. 64), 128 mb of internal sounds (including vastly improved pianos) vs. 64 mb for the S, max RAM for the X is 544 mb as opposed to 288 mb for the S, and max storage of 1 gb as opposed to 128 mb for the S.

The X's sequencer also has 8 audio recording tracks, which the S lacks.

The X also has a tilted display that is color, as opposed to the S which has a monochrome display that is not angled forward (identical to the MC909 display, from what I can tell).

• Members

The Fantom X factory specs for maximum sample memory (RAM DIMM) and storage (PCMCIA / Compact Flash) are understated. The sample memory DIMM can be up to 1GB, although due to cost and availability many users don't use bigger than a 512MB. For the CF card, some people are using 4GB ones without problem in terms of storage, although since the FX wasn't designed with a card that big in mind, the display will show available space strangely (as a negative number).

• Members

The S is still capable, although the additional sample waveforms in the X can be useful.

Maybe the following will help you decide:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?779075-Fantom-X-vs-Fantom-S

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/rolandfantomx.htm

BTW, is there any particular reason not to consider a Yamaha Motif ES or XS?

(I'm assuming that you don't want to spend what an XF would cost.)

• Members

Still would the S be still a good buy, mainly using it for synths and accoustics.

If it has the sounds and functions you need at a good price, sure. Whether it has good enough acoustic sounds for you is something no one can answer for you, though. Sure, as shown above, the X has more sounds, better sounds, and more features, but that doesn't mean you might not be happy with the S. These posts can tell you the differences, but only you can decide what's important to you and what you like the sound of.

• Members

Is the M50 also a decent option?.

Of course! They're all good! Really, there are almost no bad keyboards, it's a matter of what sounds and functions are most important to you. People have made good music on all of them!

Each board has its strengths. Personally, I like the M50 for its light weight and touchscreen patch selection, but wish it had the Rolands' aftertouch, assignable outs, and sample memory. As always, it's a matter of what's important to you.

Sound-wise, the M50 does have the advantage of 256 mb of wave samples, vs. 64 or 128 in these Rolands, though still, you may like some sounds better in the Roland... but probably more importantly, you can add completely new sounds to the Roland (through optional SRX cards and user sample memory), which you can't do on the Korg. Whether someone tends to like the "Korg sound" or "Roland sound" is always up for debate. I think the consensus is that Korg tends to be stronger on the synthy stuff, Roland on the acoustic.

• Members

Whether someone tends to like the "Korg sound" or "Roland sound" is always up for debate. I think the consensus is that Korg tends to be stronger on the synthy stuff, Roland on the acoustic.

True, everyone here will have their own opinions--that's cool. Best thing for the original poster to do is visit a few music stores and play a variety of keyboards. (Listen to a few YouTube vids as well).

Take plenty of time so you can perform a decent comparison.

• Members

I feel like I'm being impatient and I stick to the X6. I seen the Sonic Cell and it looks nice too however, doesn't have the tweakability I want.

I'm not sure, but I think the SonicCell has the same tweakability as the Fantom in terms of sound editing... but of course, without the nice screen and knobs, you'd really have to use the computer editor, or else I imagine it would be a major exercise in tedium and frustration! (The SonicCell doesn't have the user sample memory of the Fantom, though.)

• Members

Fantom prices are lower than the Motif which are insane compared to the Fantoms,

I'm not seeing the insanity. At least on eBay, Motif ES prices are generally similar to or slightly higher than those for Fantom S, Motif XS tend to be similar to or slightly higher than for Fantom X. Of course, there may be other reasons that you prefer Roland, but that's a different issue.

I own a few Yamaha and Roland synths, and I'm not especially partial to either brand. They each have their positive and negative aspects. One day my Motif XS has exactly the sound(s) I'm looking for, and the next the Fantom XR might be the right fit.

Good luck in finding what works for you.

Archived