Here it is, yet another 15% off weekend by Musicians Friend

• Members

With all those exclusions, does Musician's Friend even stock anything over $199 that qualifies for these little coupons of theirs?

"This coupon code isn't applicable on items in your cart"

Apparently not.

• Members

MF does not stock anything of interest for me right now that is not excluded.

A couple of manufacturers not excluded that might be of interest are Access Music and Dave Smith Instruments.

The exclusions are supposedly due to supplier agreements. I can understand that various manufacturers do not want blanket sales to dilute the perceived value of their products.

• Members

Moog is on the exclusion list. I got the discount when I bought my Voyager way back when. I am not sure if Moog was on the exclusion list at the time. I received the email from MF and just called and asked and the sales rep gave me the discount. I know for a fact that RME was not on the list at one time (they are now) because I bought my Fireface 800 via a 15% off sale.

Looking some more, I was surprised to see that MOTU is not on the list, so if you are looking for an interface you could go with one of theirs. If you are a guitar player and want a strat-like guitar that is as good or better than the Fender American Classic Strat (at least in my opinion), you can get a G&L S500 or Legacy (American not Tribute series - though for starter guitars the Tribute series are damned good). I owned a gorgeous Swamp Ash Fender American Classic for a while along with my Swamp Ash S500 and sold the Fender but kept the G&L (it is looking at me from above my monitor right now). I also see that Genz Benz, H&K, Koch, and THD guitar amps are up for grabs. I guess it is Keyboard players that are SOL with the sale - only two major manufacturers are not on the list (as mentioned above).

• Members

Get a Steinberg
:)
That's what I'm doing, I'll get the MR816x. Which one were you going for?

Edit: Actually, Steinberg is in the list, but when I add the coupon to my cart, it updates the price with a 15% discount. Now I'm wondering....

I don't run Cubase, though. :idk:

The interface I was looking at was the Pro 24 DSP. I like the ADAT/S-PDIF interface and I especially like the VRM mode, as I do a good amount of mixing on headphones.

• Members

I was also looking at the Saffire Pro 40, in terms of value it's pretty unbeatable right now. But I keep hearing about the D-Pre's on the Steinberg so I'll spend the extra money on that.

I will run it in Logic Pro. The MR816X and the CSX can run on any DAW, not just Cubase. But the CSX extras only work in Cubase, so I'm getting the X.

• Members

I was also looking at the Saffire Pro 40, in terms of value it's pretty unbeatable right now. But I keep hearing about the D-Pre's on the Steinberg so I'll spend the extra money on that.

I have the Pro 40 but thought about the Steinberg. I prefer the metering and routing of the Focusrite and it was much cheaper. You may be pickier about mic pres than I am, though.

The best reason to buy the Steinberg is you're already using Cubase or a Motif with FW card.

• Members

Meatball, how do you like the 40? Do you use its preamps a lot or do you use external preamps?

The MR816X doesn't really have all that much that is Cubase-based. It's the CSX model that comes with the plugins.

I keep hearing about its preamps and whatnot, I really hope it's not just internet hype. I haven't had an interface before, and I can't afford buying a few to compare. So I'm kinda stuck with whatever I'll get.

• Members

MF does not stock anything of interest for me right now that is not excluded.

A couple of manufacturers not excluded that might be of interest are Access Music and Dave Smith Instruments.

The exclusions are supposedly due to supplier agreements. I can understand that various manufacturers do not want blanket sales to dilute the perceived value of their products.

I have found with MF it is best to call when something in your cart doesn't take the coupon. I actually got my Virus Polar TI2 from them in December and got the full 15% off even though it was on their exclusion list. I am sure I was helping someone meet a quota so they gave me the deal. Worked out great for me... I think I got close to $500 off.

I have had other odds and ends over the year that didn't take an online coupon so I called, playing dumb "I can't seem to get this coupon to work... can you help?!?!"; I always found the person on the phone would either give me the exact coupon or some "deal" to ensure I bought something with them right then and there. I don't know if I have caught a series of breaks or what, but it is worth dropping them a line to see if they can square you away.

• Members

I have found with MF it is best to call when something in your cart doesn't take the coupon. I actually got my Virus Polar TI2 from them in December and got the full 15% off even though it was on their exclusion list. I am sure I was helping someone meet a quota so they gave me the deal. Worked out great for me... I think I got close to $500 off.

I have had other odds and ends over the year that didn't take an online coupon so I called, playing dumb "I can't seem to get this coupon to work... can you help?!?!"; I always found the person on the phone would either give me the exact coupon or some "deal" to ensure I bought something with them right then and there. I don't know if I have caught a series of breaks or what, but it is worth dropping them a line to see if they can square you away.

Blackbelt Jones thank you for sharing your experience! I work for Musician's Friend and even though you find the item may be excluded online our main concern is helping you find the gear you want/need at the best price possible. We are here to help so please give us a call if a coupon doesn't apply to what you need online. You can also email me at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Thanks!

Skaught Parry | Musician's Friend | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

• Members

yamaha-mgp16x-mixing-console-large.jpg

These still aren't in Washington state yet. It's like this state is the last to get anything unless it's from Moog or Roland. :facepalm:

Me thinks this would be a great Guitar Center purchase at 15% off and a pleasant birthday present. :)

• Members

Blackbelt Jones thank you for sharing your experience! I work for Musician's Friend and even though you find the item may be excluded online our main concern is helping you find the gear you want/need at the best price possible. We are here to help so please give us a call if a coupon doesn't apply to what you need online. You can also email me at
. Thanks

Skaught are you saying that I can get a 15% discount on stuff that is on the exclusion list by calling and asking for the discount? I would definitely try that if it is kosher - I just never thought to try.

• Members

These still aren't in Washington state yet. It's like this state is the last to get anything unless it's from Moog or Roland.
:facepalm:
Me thinks this would be a great Guitar Center purchase at 15% off and a pleasant birthday present.
:)

Unless something's changed recently, I think Yamaha is on the exclusion list. :(

• Members

Meatball, how do you like the 40? Do you use its preamps a lot or do you use external preamps?

I love it and do not use external preamps. The pres sound good to me, but it's for a hobby studio and I don't own any fantastic mikes. The metering (5 segments) is much clearer than the competition. I also like the front panel mute and dim switches. It has an IEC power connection, I hate wall warts. One thing it lacks for a "big" studio application is there is no word clock input, digital sync is only possible via SPDIF or ADAT inputs.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Unless something's changed recently, I think Yamaha is on the exclusion list.
:(

GC has a player rewards coupon for 15% off one single item purchased in-store. AFAIK these do not have any exclusion list. I bought my Roland RD700GX and my Line6 HD500 using different GC holiday coupons. In fact, for the latter I missed the coupon cutoff day by one day, went in and told the store manager I would buy the HD500 if he honored the deal a day late, and he gave me the 15% off (GC Corporate should give him a "Scooby Snack" for that).

• Members

The following manufacturers have asked not to participate in coupon offers and other promotional discounts:
65 Amps, A Designs, Adam Audio, AKG, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, American Audio, American DJ, Ampeg, Antoine Courtois Paris, Aphex, Apogee, Apple, Armstrong, ART, Arturia, Audio-Technica, Audix, Auralex, Avalon, Avanti, Avid, Axl, Azumi, B&S, B3 Guitars, Bach, BAM, Beat Kangz, Bedell, Behringer, Belkin, Benchmark, Benchmark Media Systems, Benedetto, Besson, Bixonic, Black Cat, Blackheart, Blue, Bogner, Bosch, Bose, Boss, Breedlove, Bricasti, Brio, BSS, Buffet Crampon, Bugera, Bundy, Carl Martin, Casio, Cerwin-Vega, Chameleon Labs, Chandler Limited, Charvel, Chauvet, Cleartone, Cloud Microphones, Conn, Cordoba, Courtois, Crate, Crown, Cusak, Daking, Dangerous Music, DBX, Dean, Death By Audio, Diamond, Digitech, Disney by Washburn, DLS, Drawmer, DW, EBS, Eden, Edirol, Elation, Electro-Harmonix, Electro-Voice, Elysia, Emerson, EMG, Eminence, EMMA, Empirical Labs, Empress Effects, Engl, Epiphone, ESP, Euphonix, Eventide, EVH, F Loree Paris, Fano, Fender, Fender Custom, Fishman, Focusrite, Fox, Fuchs, Fulltone, Furman, G7th, Galway, Gator, Gemeinhardt, Getzen, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Gibson USA, Giffin Guitars, GNI, Godlyke, Golden Age Project, Grace Design, Great Divide, Great River, Gretsch, Gretsch Drums, Gretsch Guitars, Guild, Guyatone, Hagstrom, Hans Hoyer, Hao, Harden, Harmon, Haynes, Hercules, HHB, Hohner, Holton, Ibanez, ISP Technologies, J Puchner, Jackson, JamHub, Jasmine by Takamine, JBL, Jet City Amplifiers, Jody Jazz, Jupiter, K&M, Kanstul, Kawai, Keeley, Keilwerth, King, Koll Guitars, Korg, Kramer, KRK, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, Langevin, Latin Percussion, Leblanc, Lexicon, Line 6, LovePedal, LsL Instruments, Ludwig, Luna Guitars, Mackie, Mad Professor, Malekko, Manley, Mapex, Markbass, Marshall, Martin, Martin-Leblanc, Maxon, Meinl, Meinl Weston, Mesa Boogie, Millennia, Miraphone, Mixosaurus, Mogami, Mojave Audio, Moog, Morgan, Music Man, Music XPC, Neumann, Neve, Nord, Novation, NS Design, N-Tune, Olympus, Option 5, Orange, Ortofon, Ovation, P. Mauriat, Paiste, Parker, PDP, Peavey, Pelonis Sound, Perri's, Phonic, Pigtronix, Pioneer, Powell, Prelude, PreSonus, Propellerhead, PRS, Purple Audio, QSC, Radial, Randall, Rane, Reunion Blues, Rickenbacker, Rivera, RME, Rockbag by Warwick, Rockbass by Warwick, Rockcase by Warwick, RockStand by Warwick, Roc-N-Soc, Rode Microphones, Roland, Royer, Rupert Neve Designs, Sabian, Sample Logic, Schecter, Scherzer, Schilke, Schreiber, Schroeder, Schroeder Guitars, Selmer, Selmer Paris, Sennheiser, Serato, Shure, SKB, SM Pro Audio, Softube, Solid State Logic, Sonare, Soul, Soundcraft, Squier, Stanton, Steinberg, Steinberger, Stephanhouser, Sterling by MusicMan, Summit Audio, Sweet Sound, SWR, Takamine, Tama, Tapco, Taylor, TDK, Tech 21, Telefunken, Thermionic Culture, Toadworks, Tobias, Tone King, Tortuga, Traveler Guitar, Traynor, T-REX, True Systems, Tube-Tech, Two Rock, Ultimate Support, Universal Audio, Vestax, Violet Audio, Vito, VMI, Voodoo Lab, VOX, Waldorf, Washburn, Weber Speakers, Western Digital, Xotic, Yamaha, Yamaha Band & Orchestra, Yanagisawa, Z.Vex Effects, Zildjian, Zoom.

So... pretty much everyone, then.

If RME wasn't on here, I might have snagged a Fireface UC.

• Members

GC has a player rewards coupon for 15% off one single item purchased in-store. AFAIK these do not have any exclusion list. I bought my Roland RD700GX and my Line6 HD500 using different GC holiday coupons. In fact, for the latter I missed the coupon cutoff day by one day, went in and told the store manager I would buy the HD500 if he honored the deal a day late, and he gave me the 15% off (GC Corporate should give him a "Scooby Snack" for that).

They have the same list of exclusions: http://www.guitarcenter.com/GC-Coupon-Details-g25685t0.gc

In the past I have had good luck phoning/calling MF, telling them I would buy an item if they apply the 15% Promo Code. I have purchased a few items on their "Exclusions List" this way.

Archived