Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here it is, yet another 15% off weekend by Musicians Friend

If I don't find a better deal I'm going to buy my interface with this discount. Anyone planning on getting anything this weekend? Are there any better deals going on?
    http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

With all those exclusions, does Musician's Friend even stock anything over $199 that qualifies for these little coupons of theirs?

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
    Strings: Carvin Bolt HSS w/ Wilkinson vibrato
    DAWs: FL Studio 10, Sonar X2 Producer
    Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

The interface I want seems to be valid with the promo... but I can't seem to find a list of the exclusions.

Comment

With all those exclusions, does Musician's Friend even stock anything over $199 that qualifies for these little coupons of theirs?

"This coupon code isn't applicable on items in your cart"

Apparently not.
        Keyboards: Roland Fantom G6 (2); Korg Kronos 61; Muse Receptor VIP; Nord Electro 3; Privia PX-350Guitar Stuff: Route 101 Solimar; Line 6 POD X3 Live, Pocket POD (2)

Comment

The interface I want seems to be valid with the promo... but I can't seem to find a list of the exclusions.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/4deals-exclusions

Seems to cover just about every major brand. Unfortunately, Focusrite is on the list; otherwise, I'd probably join you in getting a new interface.

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
          Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

Get a Steinberg That's what I'm doing, I'll get the MR816x. Which one were you going for?

Edit: Actually, Steinberg is in the list, but when I add the coupon to my cart, it updates the price with a 15% discount. Now I'm wondering....

Comment

MF does not stock anything of interest for me right now that is not excluded.

A couple of manufacturers not excluded that might be of interest are Access Music and Dave Smith Instruments.

The exclusions are supposedly due to supplier agreements. I can understand that various manufacturers do not want blanket sales to dilute the perceived value of their products.
              Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).

Comment

Thinking about an Alto powered speaker.

Comment

I had trouble trying to get the discount on a Moog CP-251. I called and the sales rep. was still willing to honor the discount. Haven't ordered one yet, but probably will - once my MiniBrute gets here.

Comment

Moog is on the exclusion list. I got the discount when I bought my Voyager way back when. I am not sure if Moog was on the exclusion list at the time. I received the email from MF and just called and asked and the sales rep gave me the discount. I know for a fact that RME was not on the list at one time (they are now) because I bought my Fireface 800 via a 15% off sale.

Looking some more, I was surprised to see that MOTU is not on the list, so if you are looking for an interface you could go with one of theirs. If you are a guitar player and want a strat-like guitar that is as good or better than the Fender American Classic Strat (at least in my opinion), you can get a G&L S500 or Legacy (American not Tribute series - though for starter guitars the Tribute series are damned good). I owned a gorgeous Swamp Ash Fender American Classic for a while along with my Swamp Ash S500 and sold the Fender but kept the G&L (it is looking at me from above my monitor right now). I also see that Genz Benz, H&K, Koch, and THD guitar amps are up for grabs. I guess it is Keyboard players that are SOL with the sale - only two major manufacturers are not on the list (as mentioned above).
                    Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).

Comment

Get a Steinberg That's what I'm doing, I'll get the MR816x. Which one were you going for?

Edit: Actually, Steinberg is in the list, but when I add the coupon to my cart, it updates the price with a 15% discount. Now I'm wondering....

I don't run Cubase, though.

The interface I was looking at was the Pro 24 DSP. I like the ADAT/S-PDIF interface and I especially like the VRM mode, as I do a good amount of mixing on headphones.

Comment

I was also looking at the Saffire Pro 40, in terms of value it's pretty unbeatable right now. But I keep hearing about the D-Pre's on the Steinberg so I'll spend the extra money on that.

I will run it in Logic Pro. The MR816X and the CSX can run on any DAW, not just Cubase. But the CSX extras only work in Cubase, so I'm getting the X.

Comment

A couple of manufacturers not excluded that might be of interest are Access Music and Dave Smith Instruments.

Hopefully that remains the case. I'd still like to get one of the keyboard Evolvers someday, but now is not the time.

Comment

I was also looking at the Saffire Pro 40, in terms of value it's pretty unbeatable right now. But I keep hearing about the D-Pre's on the Steinberg so I'll spend the extra money on that.

I have the Pro 40 but thought about the Steinberg. I prefer the metering and routing of the Focusrite and it was much cheaper. You may be pickier about mic pres than I am, though.

The best reason to buy the Steinberg is you're already using Cubase or a Motif with FW card.
                            My VCAs go to 11

Comment

Meatball, how do you like the 40? Do you use its preamps a lot or do you use external preamps?

The MR816X doesn't really have all that much that is Cubase-based. It's the CSX model that comes with the plugins.

I keep hearing about its preamps and whatnot, I really hope it's not just internet hype. I haven't had an interface before, and I can't afford buying a few to compare. So I'm kinda stuck with whatever I'll get.

Comment

Working...
                              X