Expression Pedal Basics?

jtillinghast

• Members

Hi all-- I just got an expression pedal, and I'm wondering if I'm using it right. I hooked it up to my PC-88, which has control #1 routed to the expression channel. It controls the volume from all the way off to full volume. I got the impression that the expression pedal would be for small adjustments, but not a total sound off/sound on option. Should it be a full-range volume control, or do I have something goofed?

Also, I had hoped to be able to have it control the mod as well, so that I could use it on my organ sounds to increase the rotary sound along with the volume. Can I do this? Would you even want to do this?

Thanks!

• Members

Generally when I use an expression pedal, it controls the sound from all the way off to all the way on, which is perfect for my use. Some expression pedals like the Roland EV-5 have a little knob on the side that allows you to set the range of the pedal to some degree.

As far as your question about controlling the rotary sound, I believe that is possible, but can't say for sure. I don't believe you could control both the volume AND the rotary sound at the same time with the same pedal.

• Members

The receiving device can usually be setup to respond to the MIDI information from the expression the way the user wants it to. You can set what parameter is controlled by it and what maximum and minimum effect the pedal will have. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the PC-88 but the user manual should have all the information you need.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If you assign the expression pedal to control both volume and Leslie slow/fast at the same time, that is what the unit will do, every time you trigger the pedal you will lower and raise volume while also change the Leslie speed. The functions need to separated. You can purchase a cheap sustain pedal and assign the Leslie speed to it while using the expression pedal to control the volume.

To set the low volume level to something higher than no sound (i.e. a minimal sound but not silence) see the instructions in the manual on pages 5-11 through 5-13. The manual can be obtained at the Kurzweil site: http://www.kurzweil.com

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Be sure the technique for an expression pedal is correct. It is something based totally on feel and you have to develop an instinct for it. Good organ players know this, like Mike Finnigan, he is a master of it. Your using it to enhance a song, not bury it.

Archived