Expression Pedal Roundup?

Binkeys

• Members

So I'm looking at expression pedals for my Kurzweil. I've been using a Roland EV-5, but am looking into other options. It's not well-built and is starting to come apart, despite being well taken care of and only light use.

There are quite a few on eBay, including some I haven't heard of before.

There are models by Korg, Lowrey, Moog, Line 6, among others. The price range is pretty big. Thoughts or recommendations?

Specifically, does anyone have any experience with the Moog EP-2?

Any comments/thoughts about build quality, which ones to avoid, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Members

I have a Kurzweil expression pedal, which I got cheap on ebay. I thought the K name would imply quality, but ... Well, it does work, and it's light, but the travel is fairly short and the resistance is too light and it's not particularly smooth. Plus I've had to resolder the cable (but that happens to most of my sustain pedals, too). And lately, when I have it all the way up, if I rock back on my heel a bit it goes to full on, so I have to be a bit careful. That's after 5 years of weekly use, though, and it was used when I got it.

It's this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/kurzweil-cc-1-continuous-control-pedal,

and I think it's the same as this Fatar pedal.

I would call this "good enough" and with the virtue of being light, but at the bottom end of acceptable. I definitely got my money's worth ($25 IIRC).

I'm looking for a replacement since I think it might be near end-of-life. Plus it's good to have a backup anyway (and the Kurz would make a great backup). I want one that feels smooth and has a fair amount of resistance to foot pressure (ideally, feels like Ernie Ball guitar volume pedals), but is fairly small and light because I've already got a lot of schtuff in my kit bag:

pedals-1.jpg

• Members

Thanks!

I've read that the Yamaha has an exponential potentiometer (as do Korg's pedals), while the Kurzweil needs a pedal with a 10k potentiometer. In other words, not every pedal will work equally well with every keyboard.

Anyone know anything about that Moog pedal? It caught my eye, and the price seems reasonable.

• Members

At least check out the Behringer FCV 100. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but decent for the price, and has the added benefit of working as a true stereo volume controller when wired in-line on audio outputs, in addition to being an expression pedal. They work either way, There's a switch on the side to choose. I've got about about eight of them, and at the price they go for, one can easily afford to bring a spare to gigs. And probably should, as it's Behringer.

• Members

I've got 2 EV-5's and I like them a lot. However, I recently bought a Moog EP2. It is considerably heavier than the Roland and seems very solidly built. I haven't gigged with it much yet - mostly studio use, but it feels very sturdy.

• Members

I've heard only good things about the FC-7. Can anyone tell me how the adjustable spring point and angle work? Does the FC-7 have a linear or audio taper pot? (Not sure which Kurz/Fatar uses.)

It looks like it's hinged at the back of the heel ... can it be adjusted to hinge closer to the front of the heel (or am I trying to read too much from the pictures)?

Has anyone tried using a guitar volume pedal, this way?

• Members
Thanks!

I've read that the Yamaha has an exponential potentiometer (as do Korg's pedals), while the Kurzweil needs a pedal with a 10k potentiometer. In other words, not every pedal will work equally well with every keyboard.

Anyone know anything about that Moog pedal? It caught my eye, and the price seems reasonable.

It's a voltage divider, so it shouldn't matter one bit whether it's a 50K or 10K pot. However, it does matter whether it's linear or audio taper.

• Members

I'm using a Boss FV-500L with my PC3X. Build quality is great, all metal. And sometimes I like to stand on the pedal with my other foot in the air. No problems. It can take a beating. Works as a stereo volume pedal as well.

• Members

I just noticed that the FC7 has its jacks on the side. That's a deal-killer for me. Too bad -- and you'd think Yamaha would know better.

Not to pick nits ... but I believe it's the FC9 (Dual volume) pedal that has its jacks on the side. The FC7 is a "prewired" device (no jacks whatsoever - just a 5 ft cable wired into the pedal with a 1/4" TS connector on the far end). The cable on the FC7 is routed so that it emerges from the pedal on the front edge - not the sides.

• Members
  • Members

Thanks for the help, folks!

Looks like I'll have to check out the Yamaha FC-7. I'd also love to find out more about the Moog. Maybe it's just the brand name, but that one intrigues me.

I imagine there are some boutique options as well, but know nothing about this. Any unusual options out there?

• Members

+INFINITY for the FC7...As you can see in my sig I've got 2 of them I use simulatneously (they can be "bolted" together which is really cool) and I honestly couldn't be happier with them...I've been using them both pretty heavily almost daily for over 5 years now and they're still going strong, again, couldn't be happier with them and highly recommend them...

Also SpaceNorman is dead on about the jack.

• Members

I have 2 FC7's that I've used continuously since 1985, and they work fine. I've had to do a small amount of maintenance on them, but they've been to a hell of a lot of gigs. They have a nice feel to them, and a very useable response curve, IMO. Some others I've tried are too sensitive at the very topmost part of their range, whereas the FC7 seems linear to me.

• Members

So I'm looking at expression pedals for my Kurzweil. I've been using a Roland EV-5, but am looking into other options. It's not well-built and is starting to come apart, despite being well taken care of and only light use.

There are quite a few on eBay, including some I haven't heard of before.

There are models by Korg, Lowrey, Moog, Line 6, among others. The price range is pretty big. Thoughts or recommendations?

Specifically, does anyone have any experience with the Moog EP-2?

Any comments/thoughts about build quality, which ones to avoid, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

While I DO work for Kurzweil R&D.....

I also do work outside of Kurz, programming (and babysitting) keys for Broadway and touring shows.

My partner and I use the same equipment list for every show.

And the volume pedal on the list is always the Boss FV500L.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=697

I would describe it as "military grade" as far as build quality goes.

Every show we've done uses this pedal and I have yet to hear of one going bad.

(Evita, Mary Poppins, Les Mis, Phantom, etc)

It's a bit big and heavy, but I happen to like that in a volume pedal.

• Members

While I DO work for Kurzweil R&D.....

I also do work outside of Kurz, programming (and babysitting) keys for Broadway and touring shows.

My partner and I use the same equipment list for every show.

And the volume pedal on the list is always the Boss FV500L.

I would describe it as "military grade" as far as build quality goes.

Every show we've done uses this pedal and I have yet to hear of one going bad.

(Evita, Mary Poppins, Les Mis, Phantom, etc)

It's a bit big and heavy, but I happen to like that in a volume pedal.

Just curious Dave .... is your experience with the Boss FV500L based on using it as an expression pedal or as true "volume" pedal? I purchased an FV500L for use as an expression pedal with my RD700SX. The volume control for the RD700SX spans the typical value range of 0-127. With the FV500L properly connected as an expression pedal - I could only sweep RD700SX's volume setting from 0-100. No amount of adjusting the "Minimum Volume" knob on the side would correct this. Assuming I had received a "defective" pedal - I exchanged it for another unit. That one was tiny bit better - and allowed me control a value range of 0-104. Neither of the two brand new, straight out of the box units would allow me to sweep the entire range of the volume control.

I badly wanted the the FV500L to work for me. I absolutely hate those cheap plastic Roland EV5 pedals. In my experience, I get roughly a year of use out of one before it starts to get flakey. As far as I'm concerned, that's PPP (piss poor performance) for a pedal that sells for $79!

Archived