Roland SPD-SX and external syncing... WTF.?

devinw

• Members

OK, this may be a long shot but hoping there might be some peeps over here who have used the SPD-SX or SPD-30 etc... The guys over in Drums (my home :-D ) are pretty "analog" :D

Anyway, so I have a project where the keyboard player has our master sequence in Ableton Live and we play to a click track.

I set up the SPD-SX to receive sync from Ableton and loaded up some loops to trigger from the SPD that were perfectly tempo matched to the song in Ableton. Well....basically they start slipping sync REALLY quickly, like after 16 bars or so. It seems that the sync doesn't actually sync the loop trigger to the pulse from Ableton. If so, this machine is not very useful to me and pretty disappointing...

The way I figure it is that the SPD ought to be real-time syncing the loop to the tempo in Ableton and adjusting but it doesn't seem to work that way at all! Maybe I'm missing something here.

On top of that, the metronome appears to be completely separate from the sync signal, even when being synced from Ableton. What the hell??? Why would anyone want that.

Please someone shed some light here!! Thanks!!!

• 4 years later...

Archived