Still having trouble with Roland VK8M/Kurzweil PC3 and transposition?

morty77

• Members

I have a kurzweil PC-3 76 note synth which Ive preprogrammed the transposition

into the memory (not to transpose globally or it effects all other midi devices as well)

anyways, I want to play the Kurz an octave lower without affecting the transposition of the Roland VK8m organ module, how do I do it?

Someone suggested preprogramming transposing my kurz patches ahead of time and leave the global at "0" transposition which I did, but!..... it still lowered the VK 8m an octave.GGGrrrrr

what am I doing wrong.... I need the Kurz to activate the VK

Help(please in laymens language)

thanks

• Members

Page 7-10 of the manual: setup mode, create a zone and put your kurz program into it. Go to the keyvel page and set the transpose FOR THAT ZONE to -12. Create a 2nd zone in the same setup for the vk8m and don't touch the transpose. The kurzweil patch should play one octave down while the vk8m should play normally.

• Members

How do I do the 2nd zone for the VK8M? on another midi channel?

Ive done the first step before but still transposed the vk8m as well

See page 7-6 of the manual. Set the zone containing the vk8m program to a different midi channel than the kurz zone. You can also set the kurz program in the setup to only output to local and set the vk8m zone in that setup to only output to midi. This is all done in the ch/prg page WITHIN EACH ZONE. Also, on the keyvel tab is where you set the key range you want THAT ZONE to play within. You should be good to go. Don't forget to set the vk8m module to receive on the same midi channel that the pc3 is sending the vk8m data to.

• Members

Hi Dave Im really new with the PC3 ....just got it, can you go over this with me step by step Im having trouble understanding the manual Ill send you my email via your private message

if you can help I really appreciate it

thanks

• Members

We do have Kurzweil Operational Support for when people get stuck with things like this.

http://kurzweil.com/support/operational/

Should usually receive an answer within 48 hours or less.

But we would ask users to first take a look at some resources we've created specifically to help new customers learn their way around. (See below)

For now, I'll try to help a bit.....

Edit your setup.

Use the More > soft buttons along the bottom the screen to page over until you see soft buttons for New Zone, Duplicate Zone, Import Zone etc.

That's how you create a new zone. (Hit New Zone.)

Use the Chan +/- buttons to the left of the screen to toggle between zones.

Like Dave says, on the first page in setup mode, the Ch/Prg page, set your zone with the PC3 sound to Local.

You can transpose it on the Key/Vel page.

Set the zone with the VK to MIDI on the Ch/Prg page. For channel #, I always like to have the # correspond to the zone you're on.

So if this is zone 2, make it channel 2 (I think it will be chan 2 by default) as well. Then set the VK to receive on channel 2.

You can set key ranges (to split the keyboard for bass and piano for example), you can transpose, you can scale velocity and you can (and have to) assign any controller to do anything.

By default, each zone will have sustain (SW1 page) and Pitch Bend (Wheels page) enabled. You might want to turn these off on certain zones.

If you want the sliders to do anything (per zone) you go to the sliders page, select a slider and then move it while holding Enter.

I highly recommend 2 things that will really help you ramp up, with a minimal expenditure of time.....

PC3 Knowledge Base page on our site. (Every product has one of these - click the Support Tab to find it for any other board.)

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3/ Lots of helpful FAQs and tips.

And tutorial videos - from the very basics like navigation to advanced synthesis.

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3/video/

DEFINITELY check these out.... they are only about 5 min apiece, and they will save you a TON of headaches.

Dave Weiser

Kurzweil R&D

• Members

The tutorials have been some help but unless it is dealing with that identical subject I really get more help out of the guys on the forums and in the last few weeks they have helped me immensly to edit my Kurz

Archived