Yamaha Motif XS6 VS. Korg Kronos.....Should i sell my Motif? True upgrade?

• Members

Tell me about the Kronos. To my ear it sounds fuller, richer, and more realistic than my Motif XS6. WHat do some of you guys think? How do the sequencers compare? I find Pattern Mode on the Motif to be very intuituve. Will I be as happy doing production on the Kronos? Can anyone give me an example of a situation/application where I would be BETTER OFF with the Yamaha? Are there any sounds that are BETTER on the Yamaha that I'm missing? When I consider selling my Motif and then putting down another $1000 towards a Kronos, should I feel more like I'm merely changing brands and maybe having a few different sounds or do you think the Kronos is a definite "upgrade"?

Thanks

• Members

There are some Yamaha sounds I prefer to their Kronos equivalents, but that's very much personal preference. Overall, the Kronos is more capable, and has clear advantages in its other "engines" that provide functionalities beyond what's in the Yamaha, like the clonewheel organ and VA synths.

• Members

I find Pattern Mode on the Motif to be very intuituve.

As another Motif player, I'd say if you like the feel of working in pattern mode (and then chaining I suppose?), you'll find the Korg sequencer a bit less powerful.

I'd suggest you take a long look at the manual for the sequencer and see what you think, then sit down at a Kronos locally and try banging something together on the spot.

Kronos is only an upgrade if you have real use for what it offers...the audio recording, the multiple synth engines, the sample streaming, etc.

• Members

Meatball: Pattern Chain is an important mode for me. It's where I record all the section changes, part mutes, for a final playback. Does the Kronos not have this kind of arrange functionality in its sequencer? That seems like a pretty major necessity for a $3000 workstation!

• Members

Can the sequencer at least "chain" patterns together? Example...Section A--->Section B--->Section C???

I can't imagine a brand new state of the art workstation not alllowing for what has become standard sequence,pattern,arrange, song recording and playback. I HAVE heard on other forums that the Motifs PATTERN mode is hands down superior to Kronos...is this referring to the workflow/user interface, ease of use etc or is the Kronos truly limited functionally in certain ways. I really like the sound of the Kronos piano, the synth presets, karma (seems better than motifs arps) and the idea of having a more programmable synth in terms of soundcraft appeals to me, but I DO do a LOT of sequencing, arranging, recording on my workstations and will need to have be able to create and playback complex arrangements for LIVE performances. WHat says HC?

• Members

I am a fan of the Motif sounds (I currently have an MOX6, and previously owned an original Motif for ten years).

I find that the Motif sounds work very well with one another and other instruments - as some say "they sit well in the mix".

I previously owned an M3-61 for quite a while, but sold it for a variety of reasons, but mainly so I could get the MOX6.

It is my opinion that many of the M3 and Kronos sounds are very highly detailed. The detail of the samples is significantly more so than what I find in the Motifs. Many of the samples sound like they were recorded with close mics - almost like the mic was inside the Rhodes or acoustic guitar.

There are many reasons why someone may want a Kronos instead of a Motif XS or XF. The Kronos synth engine, for example, likely sounds better and is more flexible than the sampled synth sounds in the XS. But if you really like detailed samples of acoustic instruments, you really do want the Kronos.

Personally, I'd love to have a Kronos, but they're very expensive, and I am very happy with my MOX6. Like I said, I really like the Motif sound set.

In terms of sounds, this remains a personal preference.

• Members

Whether the Kronos rompler sounds (its HD-1 engine) are any better than Yamaha's is a matter of opinion. The sonic advantages of the Kronos over the Motif XF are more likely to be found in the other engines where, for the most part, the Yamaha doesn't really have a horse in the race... the clonewheel CX3 engine, the FM MOD-7 engine, the VA AL-1/MS20/PolySix engines, the EP1 Rhodes/Wurly engine, the 4.7 gb pianos of the SGX-1 engine. (though personally, I still prefer the Yamaha pianos!)... if these are not of interest, there would not be much reason for most Yamaha owners to consider switching. Though the ability to deal with much larger sets of custom-loaded samples (especially with the Kronos 2.0 software upgrade) could be a major benefit as well.

• Members

How do the sequencers compare? I find Pattern Mode on the Motif to be very intuituve. Will I be as happy doing production on the Kronos?

If you're used to Yamaha's pattern mode, then you definltely won't be as happy doing production on the Kronos. You'll have to use a DAW to replicate the same functionality.

In terms of sound, it's a matter of opinion and taste. It's hard to make that judgment call for you, but it would help to know what kind of music you play, what kind of venues you play in, what kind of audiences, etc.

• Members

Can the sequencer at least "chain" patterns together? Example...Section A--->Section B--->Section C???

No, the Kronos doesn't do this. I am an OASYS user and the sequencer is virtually identical (only ppq is increased in the Kronos and that's the only difference).

There is RPPR - basically a pattern that you can create and assign to a single key. So on a Kronos 61 you could have 61 entirely different patterns. However, they need to be manually triggered. There's no way of automating them, nor automating them into a pattern of patterns.

• Members

I have a Kronos and have played and owned various Motifs. Its my opinion that we often kid ourselves into thinking the latest gear is better than the old. For me the best sounds on the Kronos are the pianos and the HD (the sample based engine). The more modern version of the Motif can match and even surpass the sample based engine IMHO (at least until recently). The pianos sound bloody fantastic though. On headphones and off my RD700GX its a great experience.

The EP engine is a tad thin IMHO... I have a rhodes and the EP1 is rhodes-like for sure, but something isn't quite right in the attack for me.. The CX engine is nice but I prefer my CX3 for some reason... maybe its the immediacy and interface. The FM engine is cool, not really my thing but cool and some interesting sound there...

The AL-1 engine is pretty nice but nothing what you haven't heard before. I have preferred using the vintage synth waveforms (some lovely Oberheim stuff in there) in the HD engine so far... but things can change and I could well end up loving it. Haven't messed so much with the MS20 and Polysix... just something not quite drawing me in...

However, a new feature on the Kronos (since v2.0 only released a few days ago) is the ability to stream gigabyte libraries/user samples off the flash drive. I think this is where the Kronos will obliterate all current keyboards on the market. I've already got a 1GB Rhodes MkV sample loaded and its great. With this feature the future is bright for the Kronos...

I am completely lost with the sequencer in the Kronos... I loved the pattern based stuff on the Motif.. My main problem with the Kronos is that its too much... but that isn't really a bad problem to have. :D You could spend 10 years using that keyboard and find new things all the time.

For sure I could sell 3/4 of my current equipment and the Kronos could easily replace it without too much hassle.

• Members

orangfunk makes good points about the streaming and the depth of the sound possibilities with the Kronos.

But it retains a 7 year old sequencer. Not sure if Korg thought there's no need to update it as folks use DAWs more these days. OASYS users were asking for years for a better sequencer - eg piano roll. Strangely enough, Korg did upgrade the sequencer (to include piano roll and other stuff) for the M3, but neither the OASYS or Kronos got those enhancements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tell me about the Kronos. To my ear it sounds fuller, richer, and more realistic than my Motif XS6. WHat do some of you guys think? How do the sequencers compare? I find Pattern Mode on the Motif to be very intuituve. Will I be as happy doing production on the Kronos? Can anyone give me an example of a situation/application where I would be BETTER OFF with the Yamaha? Are there any sounds that are BETTER on the Yamaha that I'm missing? When I consider selling my Motif and then putting down another $1000 towards a Kronos, should I feel more like I'm merely changing brands and maybe having a few different sounds or do you think the Kronos is a definite "upgrade"?

Thanks

If you just want something new:

[video=youtube;ppGN_nC7UPc]

• Members

It's not the size of the samples, it's how you use them.
:cop:

I agree 100 percent ... Far more important is the articulation with which you manipulate said samples and employ real-time controllers to make the sound more dynamic ...

As for the demo above ... There's nothing wrong with it ... But at least the way it was played, the sound was very static ... (and I think I did hear it break up at one point I think to too the too-thick sound ... like it needed a little EQing ... )

One of the things that's cool about XW-P1 is that five of the step sequencer's 13 tracks can be used to record parameter Motion Sequence ... very useful I would think to match patches more dynamic ...

This is why in some ways it's better to buy from a budget-minded company ... They aren't withholding features from affordable models "just because." I'm almost just as excited for the follow-up product to this ... (Although i hope they still add a few features ... )

From a performance standpoint I think it makes way more sense to have a powerful, simple and accessible step sequencer on board to make the sound more dynamic sound in real-time ... And for each sequence there are eight pattern buttons to further change it ... If you need linear MIDI sequencing and audio tracks, hook up yer iPad, get a $200 ioDock and you've just created a tidy, 14-pound Neko that can almost run entirely on battery power for less than $1,000 ... Hmmmm .... The ioDock needs juice but at least charges the iPad while doing so ... )

Archived