M-Audio Venom for 198 Euros ??

cowby

• Members

Nice demo, Craig. I remember watching that video when I was thinking about buying Venom (which I did end up buying).

I use mine at the office, as an all in one synth/controller/audio interface to hook up to my MacBook Pro. It fits the bill really well. If M-Audio made a higher end synth with a full featured programming interface, I'm pretty sure I'd buy it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A question for those that put their on it: How good is it for pads? Can it emulate those soft synth strings? And alike? Something for Jarre, sci-fi style?

I'd say it's very good for pads and synth strings -- a little brighter than an 80s style Roland Juno synth string, for example, but still very nice. Some careful EQ and detuning does wonders. I know that M-Audio/Avid played up the "edgy" aspects of the Venom's sound, but it also does a wonderful job emulating classic synths as well. There's plenty of richness there.

I'm still amazed that these are going for $300 (or less) on Craigslist.

Here's a video that shows some of the pad and string-like capabilities of the Venom (for example, around 2:00, and elsewhere):

[video=youtube;9aMEfO3d5dY]

Archived