E.L.O Electric Light Orchestra - CD suggestion

cowby

• Members

Hi, knew them when i was young (I am 45 now) and didn't buy their CD before. Love the vocal and music arrangement. Knew them from an OST called Xanadu. BTW, ONJ is so sweet, agree?

Pls anyone pls suggest one or two CDs that an "Entry Level" fan must buy? Is it wise to buy their Collection/essential CDs? If possible, pls also post their CD cover so that I can easily to locate in music Store.

Cheers!

Cowby

• Members

Everything they did is great. Can't go wrong with any of them.

For the classic sound, try Out of the Blue. Double album with a side long epic on side 3. The Whale is an instrumental and is my favorite ELO tune. Great album from start to finish that will keep you busy for awhile.

For a more synth oriented album, try Time. It's a concept album and totally over the top.

If you liked Xanadu, the closest album to that sound is Discovery. Has a more disco sound like Xanadu.

Flashback is a 3 cd boxset. It's good but I prefer their first boxset, Afterglow. More rarities and it's more chronological.

• Members

Yeah me too. I bought "Out of the Blue" when I was a kid, sold it later to a friend who would eventually became my brother-in-law, and eventually bought the CD. The CD still rides in my armrest-CD holder in my car and gets rotated into the changer fairly regularly (no MP3 player dock).

• Members

Their best two are El Dorado and A New Word Record.

51vBUS7OiWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61C68OYETnL._AA300_.jpg

The Xanadu OST with ONJ and Out of the Blue are good, too. As a double album, Out of the Blue is spread a little thin, with some great musical moments and some weaker ones.

51URm-MXncL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As tspit74 said, Discovery is the album that is stylistically most like the Xanadu OST.

51I9A3IuiFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Members

'Out of the Blue' and 'Discovery'

I enjoyed parts of 'Time' as well but I wouldn't choose it over the other two.

If you find a few extra dollars then spring for the 'Greatest Hits' album (the one with the Medal on the cover) to get their earlier hits as well. There is a little overlap with 'Out of the Blue'

• Members

Their two best albums, IMHO, were Out Of The Blue and Eldorado. Eldorado is probably more consistent actually.

BUT...get a comprehensive greatest hits album - my recommendation is "Light Years". (That's a link to Amazon just to prove it exists!) For entry level that is exactly what you want - this has the tracks you might like from 1980 plus the classic ones like Mr Blue Sky etc. And other retailers are available other than Amazon. ;)

• Members

Time is a pretty amazing album IMO. (And it's pretty hard to go wrong with Out of the Blue, New World's Record or Discovery, a little disco notwithstanding :))

21st Century Man is just a great tune. "So you ride on the wheels of tomorrow...You still wander the fields of your sorrow..." The whole album kind of reminds me of those great "world of tomorrow" themes at Disney or Epcot, when the "future" was 10 years ago (to us) and we were supposed to be riding in jetcars by now :)

[video=youtube;XIJX6mKk6rY]

• Members
Time is a pretty amazing album IMO.

The whole album kind of reminds me of those great "world of tomorrow" themes at Disney or Epcot, when the "future" was 10 years ago (to us) and we were supposed to be riding in jetcars by now :)[/quote=Strenge]

Agree. A very 50's tail fin kind of take on the future.

• Members

Can't help spamming another track from Time. As a 14-or-so year old I remember laying back with headphones and getting my ass kicked by this track when the vocoder part ends and the drums kick in. Probably not may favorite track now to listen to but it's what drew me into the album. (Least favorite track is Hold on Tight, figures it's the big single).

[video=youtube;3U52sP25ynE]

• Members

My favorite is still the first album (sometimes known as "No Answer") with Roy Wood. None of the comps dig into that one further than 10538 Overture...Jeff Lynne's ultimate Lennon impersonation...and totally skip Roy Wood's contributions. Then again, there's not a lot of keyboard action.

51BpcKlTSLL._SS500_.jpg

Still have this one on vinyl, bought it 40 years ago.

My single favorite song is Can't Get It Out Of My Head (another Lennon-ish one).

• Members

Their two best albums, IMHO, were Out Of The Blue and Eldorado. Eldorado is probably more consistent actually.

BUT...get a comprehensive greatest hits album - my recommendation is
"Light Years"
. (That's a link to Amazon just to prove it exists!) For entry level that is exactly what you want - this has the tracks you might like from 1980 plus the classic ones like Mr Blue Sky etc. And other retailers are available other than Amazon.
;)

Thank you for that link! That's a lot of great pop for $14.

• Members

I can't believe no has suggested Face The Music. Surely some love for that one? I love a few of the tracks on there. And Fire On High is easily the cheesiest thing they ever did, which is saying something. Gotta love the cheese.1

Archived