Keyboard/Synthesizer Amp Question

bytus

• Members

i recently posted regarding connecting my new casio xw-p1 to a 10x10w home stereo amp.

unfortunately the results particularly in the low end were pretty grim.

i've seen mono keyboard amps selling at around

• Members

My advice would be to get a decent pair of powered monitors.

I suppose you could also buy two "keyboard amps" for running stereo sound, but I don't think it's going to sound very good.

cheers zoink - not sure what you mean by powered monitors?

• Members

Bytus, they are "speakes with built-in integrated amp

Some examples are yamaha msp3, esi near05, krk rokit, behringer ms40

cheers you guys - definitely going by way of the powered monitors.

• Members

For home use, a pair of powered studio monitors as mentioned above would be great. Just be aware that you can't run them terribly loud (though, way louder than your 10WPC system).

For stage, most folks use a pair of smaller powered stage speakers, like EV ZXA1, QSC K8 or K10. The studio monitors are more accurate; the stage speakers are WAY louder but still quite nice.

• Members

Yeah, I shouldn't have said that for stage most folks use a pair.

I like stereo live, but it's not necessary, and if you don't know what you're doing, can cause problems. Also, even if you're running stereo in the PA, you don't need stereo in your monitors.

• Members

For home powered monitors are great. For stage monitor a pair of 10" bass guitar combos like peavey Minx110's are great. If house Pa isnt available, & loud and a lot of air movement needed a pair of JBL eon 15" powered Pa speakers would be my first choice.

• Members

An old tried and true method is to use a bass guitar amp with one ten inch speaker. A used 30 - 50 watt combo amp will do nicely.

I have no doubt that the "tried and true" approach you've outlined will produce sound and is better than no amp at all ... but I can't imagine it being a viewed as a suitable approach for anybody who's tried the power speaker approach.

• Members

I use a single QSC K12 for practice. When we play live the QSC K12s become the mains for our PA, and I have 2 QSC K10s for floor monitors, one for me and one for our guitar/singer. you could say I'm partial to the QSCs.

• Members

I use a single QSC K12 for practice. When we play live the QSC K12s become the mains for our PA, and I have 2 QSC K10s for floor monitors, one for me and one for our guitar/singer. you could say I'm partial to the QSCs.

I also have a pair of QSC K12's that I use for mains and a pair of K10's I use for floor monitors - if I'm running PA... if it's a gig where I'm just showing up as "keyboard guy" - I used to use my Motion Sound KP200S stereo kybd. amp - which sounds great... but now I bring the pair of K10's w/a small mixer - sounds even better! a killer kybd. rig - - and I can send my signal up to the FOH/main house PA from my little mixer. I'll be doing that exact configuration Friday night, in fact.

If it's a big stage or outdoor concert - I'll still use the KP200S as my kybd. stage monitor behind me & run a Line Out from it to the main PA, to get keys in the FOH and stage/vocal monitor mixes.

Archived