No announcement yet.

Keyboard/Synthesizer Amp Question

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard/Synthesizer Amp Question

i recently posted regarding connecting my new casio xw-p1 to a 10x10w home stereo amp.

unfortunately the results particularly in the low end were pretty grim.

i've seen mono keyboard amps selling at around

My advice would be to get a decent pair of powered monitors.

I suppose you could also buy two "keyboard amps" for running stereo sound, but I don't think it's going to sound very good.
    Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

My advice would be to get a decent pair of powered monitors.

I suppose you could also buy two "keyboard amps" for running stereo sound, but I don't think it's going to sound very good.

cheers zoink - not sure what you mean by powered monitors?

Comment

Bytus, they are "speakes with built-in integrated amp

Some examples are yamaha msp3, esi near05, krk rokit, behringer ms40

Comment

Bytus, they are "speakes with built-in integrated amp

Some examples are yamaha msp3, esi near05, krk rokit, behringer ms40

cheers you guys - definitely going by way of the powered monitors.

Comment

For home use, a pair of powered studio monitors as mentioned above would be great. Just be aware that you can't run them terribly loud (though, way louder than your 10WPC system).

For stage, most folks use a pair of smaller powered stage speakers, like EV ZXA1, QSC K8 or K10. The studio monitors are more accurate; the stage speakers are WAY louder but still quite nice.
            learjeff.net

Comment

If you are playing at home stereo will be nice. But for playing gigs stereo isn't necessary.

For gigs I just picked up one of these. Alto TS112A 12

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alto-TS112A-12--Active-2-Way-Speaker-106721442-i2344769.gc?&source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla&=

I am pretty impressed for the money.

Comment

Yeah, I shouldn't have said that for stage most folks use a pair.

I like stereo live, but it's not necessary, and if you don't know what you're doing, can cause problems. Also, even if you're running stereo in the PA, you don't need stereo in your monitors.
                learjeff.net

Comment

For home studio use, and occasional small gigs, I use a pair of Roland CM-30 powered monitors. They sound really good for their size and also serve as a mixer for other instruments.
                  http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=663

Comment

For home powered monitors are great. For stage monitor a pair of 10" bass guitar combos like peavey Minx110's are great. If house Pa isnt available, & loud and a lot of air movement needed a pair of JBL eon 15" powered Pa speakers would be my first choice.
                    Life for its own carnal pleasure.Synths: Novation KS4 & Maudio Venom. Guitar: BC Rich It Warlock.. Bass: BC Rich Warlock. Sight: Aerial lasers by Omnisistem & Chauvet,. Geometric lasers by Extreme.

Comment

I use JBL EON 10"s and no other speaker on stage.Plenty loud. Buy one and get the other as you learn. Richard

Comment

An old tried and true method is to use a bass guitar amp with one ten inch speaker. A used 30 - 50 watt combo amp will do nicely.
                        Gear: buncha stuff and a couple bazilion cables

Comment

I use JBL EON 10"s and no other speaker on stage.Plenty loud. Buy one and get the other as you learn. Richard

I use a pair of those (EON 510) onstage, paired with a JBL 15" subwoofer. Love 'em!
                          "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

An old tried and true method is to use a bass guitar amp with one ten inch speaker. A used 30 - 50 watt combo amp will do nicely.

I have no doubt that the "tried and true" approach you've outlined will produce sound and is better than no amp at all ... but I can't imagine it being a viewed as a suitable approach for anybody who's tried the power speaker approach.
                            The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                            www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                            Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                            Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

I use a single QSC K12 for practice. When we play live the QSC K12s become the mains for our PA, and I have 2 QSC K10s for floor monitors, one for me and one for our guitar/singer. you could say I'm partial to the QSCs.

Comment

Working...
                              X