Kronos X in stock at GC

• Members

Saw that at least the Boston, MA GC has some Kronos X in stock.

Advertised price for a 61 key is $3199, that's a $400 increase :mad:

BTW, outside of the downtown Boston store, none of the other GCs in MA have had any Kronos model in stock...ever. I have yet to sit down and try one because of this (not that I'm in any rush to buy one ;) )

• Members

Who can afford these things?

I think I know someone who has a Yamaha MOX6, Yamaha CP33, Virus TI, Prophet 08, and Moog LP. Probably spent more than the price of a Kronos X. ;-)

(I know, it's tougher to come up with all of it at once. That's why there are credit cards, for better or worse...)

• Members

I think I know someone who has a Yamaha MOX6, Yamaha CP33, Virus TI, Prophet 08, and Moog LP. Probably spent more than the price of a Kronos X. ;-)

(I know, it's tougher to come up with all of it at once. That's why there are credit cards, for better or worse...)

Yeah... But as you noted, I acquired my keyboards over a period of many years, buying and selling and ultimately ending up with what I have. My most expensive keyboard is the Virus TI - I paid about $2,400 for it maybe 7-8 years ago. Probably the most expensive keyboard I ever bought (except for my Yamaha piano).

But $3,199 for a 61-key model? Damn, that's a lot of money. In 2002, I think I paid about $1,700 for a new Motif 6. At the time, THAT was the most I'd ever paid for an individual keyboard. I cringe when I see the Motif XF for $2,499 (which is why I have the MOX). At least Yamaha finds a way to give keyboardists top-of-the-line sounds for far less than $2,000.

But $3,199 for a 61 key version? I have to wonder how many they'll sell, honestly. Not to say they aren't "worth it" but that's a lot of cash for a keyboardist to spend on a single keyboard, not to mention that the 88-key model is $3,999.

• Members

Korg sometimes starts off with a price and then a few months later brings it down - if I recall correctly, the M3 and Radias were like that. The original Kronos was kind of an exception, probably because it did very well in sales throughout its run.

I bet we'll be seeing those 400 dollars drop off within the next 6 months.

• Members

Korg's price drops in the past have been in response to sluggish sales. Plenty of people didn't even look at Radias until it fell under $1000, the M3 reduction was what marketing guys call a "mid life kicker" and I'd guess (maybe I'm offbase) that poor sales were why they cut prices on the microSampler and microStation. Notice they didn't drop the prices of the Electribes when they were updated for SD cards.

They probably had no choice with the Kronos X because of the cost for a larger SSD.

Prices do tend to rise over time but I'm with keybdwizrd, that's a lot of money. As a hobbyist, I always buy used or blowouts. My Motif ES was used ($1400) and my XF was scratch and dent...and it is dented :eek: ($1900). Buying the XF was a stretch for me, esp. since I sold my ES for $200 less than I was hoping. When Kronos was first announced, the price put it out of reach and now the X is even more so.

• Members

You guys shut up, you don't live in Europe, the prices are even worse here.

the US prices do not reflect any taxes. You have to pay taxes in the USA if you buy from an online your own state. In California, thats close to 10%.

The other factor is what margins the local sales company wants to see. I'm pretty sure that all the sales companies around the world pay pretty much the same price for product from KORG HQ in Japan + or - currency exchange rates. Maybe your country currency is in {censored}ty shape vs the Japan currency. Go to Yahoo finance for that.

Given the above it's a factor of the local sales distributor + dealer greed levels. In the US its called 'capitalism ' or '' good business ". So go yap at your country distributor

if you want them to give their margin for you.

• Members

VAT is 25% here. So, it's still more expensive over here than in USA. It's almost more worth it to buy in USA and have it delivered on your doorstep. :mad:

Kronos 88 (NOT Kronos X, mind you!) here - a whopping $4650. K61 is around $3800.

So you still think you have it expensive? No, I don't think you have it expensive.

• Members

VAT is 25% here. So, it's still more expensive over here than in USA. It's almost more worth it to buy in USA and have it delivered on your doorstep.
:mad:

Kronos 88 (NOT Kronos X, mind you!) here - a whopping $4650. K61 is around $3800.

So you still think you have it expensive? No, I don't think you have it expensive.

you seem to be interested in facts. Did you look at the exchange rate of your country's currency vs Japanese yen ?

plus your countrys VAT should be funding numerous areas, such as health care and infrastructure.

In the US, we use to have ' business tariff taxes ' ( that supported the states/infrastructure) but the Reagan admin did away with that. As a result, we are getting

hosed in high costs in other necessary areas. If one is rich in the US, they are running away with the bank since the rules

largely favor the wealthy. If one is not wealthy, its a tough grind.

So its not a simple matter of the cost of the Kronos X. More complicated.

• Members

...I'm pretty sure that all the sales companies around the world pay pretty much the same price for product from KORG HQ in Japan ...

There are many factors affecting the rates through the supply chain from OEM to the shop floor/internet reseller site

Fixed worldwide supply price from the OEM to every reseller is not standard practice in some industries. What Korg does I do not know, but they like most companies want to maximize worldwide sales whilst protecting brand image.. There are many things they can do or ignore, it is up to them within any regulations that may apply in different regions and how they wish to reward their best resellers

Some countries may put heavy duties on certain imported goods.

• Members

There are many factors affecting the rates through the supply chain from OEM to the shop floor/internet reseller site

Fixed worldwide supply price from the OEM to every reseller is not standard practice in some industries. What Korg does I do not know, but they like most companies want to maximize worldwide sales whilst protecting brand image.. There are many things they can do or ignore, it is up to them within any regulations that may apply in different regions and how they wish to reward their best resellers

Some countries may put heavy duties on certain imported goods.

don't overlook currency exchange rate and outbound transportation. US is very good at moving goods from point a to point b. Once you factor in a poorer or a 3rd world country, there cost of transport is very high. There;s a lot more going on here than what Korg HQ in Japan does.

• Members

don't overlook currency exchange rate and outbound transportation. US is very good at moving goods from point a to point b. Once you factor in a poorer or a 3rd world country, there cost of transport is very high. There;s a lot more going on here than what Korg HQ in Japan does.

I was just comenting on your one assumption.. Not comenting on other side bar discussions ;-)

I deal with currency allot and all the other factors.. Not for the Music biz though... The Realz Serious Buzynous... LOL

• Members

I think the main problem with Kronos/X is the high price yet flimsy build quality ... Did they replace that joke of a jog wheel yet? Screen has waaaaay to much info packed onto it and it's not angled toward the user ... The sounds are nice but to me the whole package seems poorly designed with small buttons and a cheap feel ... And somehow, all the synth engines and possibilities -- while appreciated on some level -- seems like overkill ...

To me it seems like the "do it all" workstation concept is drawing to a close ...

I'd much rather have something that emphasized a reasonable amount of great sounds (with lots of room for user edits) ... build quality to feel good about, some limited sequencing that made good use of the control surface ...

I don't know, whenever I play the Kronos I just seem to settle on playing the nice grand piano ... It just doesn't seem to encourage diving in ...

• Members

I think the main problem with Kronos/X is the high price yet flimsy build quality ... Did they replace that joke of a jog wheel yet? Screen has waaaaay to much info packed onto it and it's not angled toward the user ... The sounds are nice but to me the whole package seems poorly designed with small buttons and a cheap feel ... And somehow, all the synth engines and possibilities -- while appreciated on some level -- seems like overkill ...

To me it seems like the "do it all" workstation concept is drawing to a close ...

I'd much rather have something that emphasized a reasonable amount of great sounds (with lots of room for user edits) ... build quality to feel good about, some limited sequencing that made good use of the control surface ...

I don't know, whenever I play the Kronos I just seem to settle on playing the nice grand piano ... It just doesn't seem to encourage diving in ...

I don't know about that, those are quibbles from a while ago. True , its not built like a tank and I don't gig. Its almost a year with my 88, and I wouldn't say its flimsy at all.

The AP's are excellent

With OS 2.02 , it now has outstanding sample streaming. IMO, you can't go wrong.

• Members

OK ... Maybe flimsy isn't the word ... The way I treat my gear like a new-born baby, I'm sure it would last as long as necessary ... It's just for the price, it doesn't seem all that better than say an XW-P1 or XW-G1 ... It just seems cheap but it's {censored} not ... (Pro on the inside, pro-sumer or worse on the outside ... ) I could handle a lot better at $2k-ish ... (Because I actually think it's great-sounding and some of the features are great ... )

• Members

OK ... Maybe flimsy isn't the word ... The way I treat my gear like a new-born baby, I'm sure it would last as long as necessary ... It's just for the price, it doesn't seem all that better than say an XW-P1 or XW-G1 ... It just seems cheap but it's {censored} not ... (Pro on the inside, pro-sumer or worse on the outside ... ) I could handle a lot better at $2k-ish ... (Because I actually think it's great-sounding and some of the features are great ... )

My problem with the build quality is not so much that it's "cheap" (with the exception of the jog wheel, which, let's face it, IS cheap and flimsy). It's that they built this beautiful Cadillac and gave it a Pontiac steering wheel and seats. Pontiac is a good car, but it's no Cadillac. I know it's probably the only way they could build an improved Oasys and price the 61 key at around 3 grand. But I wish it had more Oasys in the physical design of it.

I want those synth engines, but just don't like certain features like the smaller touch screen that doesn't tilt. I'll probably buy one eventually, but won't pay $3200 for it.

For a workstation of this price, they should include the sound expansions to sweeten the deal and get more people to adopt it. I can't speak for anybody else, but after dropping three grand on a workstation I'm frankly tired of being bled for "expansion" options. I went that route years ago with the K2500, and the Triton, etc. Just offer the full package already expanded and be done with it.

• Members

My problem with the build quality is not so much that it's "cheap" (with the exception of the jog wheel, which, let's face it, IS cheap and flimsy). It's that they built this beautiful Cadillac and gave it a Pontiac steering wheel and seats. Pontiac is a good car, but it's no Cadillac. I know it's probably the only way they could build an improved Oasys and price the 61 key at around 3 grand. But I wish it had more Oasys in the physical design of it.

I want those synth engines, but just don't like certain features like the smaller touch screen that doesn't tilt. I'll probably buy one eventually, but won't pay $3200 for it.

For a workstation of this price, they should include the sound expansions to sweeten the deal and get more people to adopt it. I can't speak for anybody else, but after dropping three grand on a workstation I'm frankly tired of being bled for "expansion" options. I went that route years ago with the K2500, and the Triton, etc. Just offer the full package already expanded and be done with it.

well, Korg did build the ultimate workstation with the OASYS, but the price was astronomical. So now we have the Kronos, with reasonable pricing and lesser bullet proof controls and flat LCD screen. Its not to hard to figure that you can't buy this kind of w/s for $1500. You could get a 61 ( 1st gen) for around $2100.

As for free sounds, there are several quality sound designers giving away free samples and they are excellent. Like I mentioned before, with 2.02, an entire world of large sample streaming is now there for us Kronos owners.

• Members

:snax:

Yes... yes. This is coming along nicely. Now, bring in the "No way it's worth that, I could build one cheaper myself" posts. Yes, just like that. Now make them kiss.... oh, yeahhhhhhhhh...

Surely an old PC and some parts from Radio Shack... :lol:

• Members

the good news is Korg always makes 'budget' offerings from their flagships the same way the oasys > m3 > m50 cost wise

I'm sure when it becomes more economically feasible they'll make an atom processor and other computer part-based keyboard or module with custom software after they recoop r&d costs, etc

it's still a cutting edge product and is priced accordingly until enough time passes for those technologies to trickle down or whatevs

Archived