How to get my S90ES to talk to my Miniak

Jercat

• Members

I can't get the program change to work. It's quite frustrating, nothing corresponds patch number-wise. I've searched the webz over and over but can find nothing addressing this. Do any of you have any experience using these two synths together via midi?

Thanks!

Jercat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Read the MIDI sections of both manuals very carefully.

Because of the large numbers of patches you need to understand patch bank selection. Each bank can select 128 patches and you can select over 16,000 banks (14 bits).

Yamaha implements this with the A-H/1-16 buttons giving you the 128 selections per bank and the Preset 1-n, User 1-n, Drums 1-n, GM, etc. buttons selecting the banks...but the banks are not in a simple 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. ordering.

The Miniak uses a weird system of patch organization that doesn't translate easily to bank/patch. You should visit the Yahoo group for Micron/Miniak users where they have some help on deciphering this stuff.

Yamaha uses bank 0 for GM patches so try setting the S90ES to the GM bank and see if that will select any patches on the Miniak.

If the S90ES has a Master mode like the Motifs check the manual about sending patch changes to external gear in that mode.

Good luck.

• Members

Read the MIDI sections of both manuals
very carefully

Because of the large numbers of patches you need to understand patch bank selection. Each bank can select 128 patches and you can select over 16,000 banks (14 bits).

Yamaha implements this with the A-H/1-16 buttons giving you the 128 selections per bank and the Preset 1-n, User 1-n, Drums 1-n, GM, etc. buttons selecting the banks...but the banks are
not
in a simple 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. ordering.

The Miniak uses a weird system of patch organization that doesn't translate easily to bank/patch. You should visit the Yahoo group for Micron/Miniak users where they have some help on deciphering this stuff.

Yamaha uses
bank 0
for GM patches so try setting the S90ES to the GM bank and see if that will select any patches on the Miniak.

If the S90ES has a
Master
mode like the Motifs check the manual about sending patch changes to external gear in that mode.

Good luck.

This is true

Archived