How to change sounds from the MIDI keyboard itself?

Chummy

• Members

As the title says, I own a YAHAMA KX5 keytar which I use as a midi keyboard connected to my laptop. I also have Cubase 5. My keyboard has 64 spots to store sounds in. How do I do that? I want to switch sounds from the keyboard itself while I play and not go back to the comp every time to change the sound from the VST. Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks guys :))

• Members

MIDI program change is something that is very dependent on either the host or the VST to handle, so it'd be hard to find a generic answer for this.

A quick Googling seems to indicate that Cubase does not support MIDI program change for some reason. (In contrast, the DAW I use, Reaper, *does* support this for those VSTs that have an exposed preset list (some don't).)

In addition, some VSTs in addition also support MIDI program change messages internally. For example, in Kontakt, you can load several instruments as a bank, and use MIDI program change to switch between the bank's instruments. So what VST are you using?

• Members

for cubase nope

for my keyboard nope cause i bought it 2nd hand
:p

can you help me please?

:idea: Google:

yamaha kx5 manual

The first hit gives you the manual.

But I don't think it will really answer your question.

You say, "My keyboard has 64 spots to store sounds in" -- More specifically, your keyboard can send out Program Change messages 0 through 63 (typically corresponding to patches 1 through 64 on your sound source). That is, you don't store "sounds" in the Yamaha at all, you just use the buttons to command your sound source to select from among its first 64 sounds.

So if, as soundwave suggested, Cubase does not allow you to select sounds from an external device, then it's the wrong tool for the job. But connect the Yamaha to any program (or sound module, or keyboard) that recognizes standard MIDI Program Change to invoke its sounds, and it should be pretty much plug-and-play. You may have to do some tinkering to assure that your devices are set up to communicate on the same MIDI channel (usually the default of 1 will just work for your purposes), and you may have to move patches around on your sound source to get the sounds you want within the first 64 locations, and perhaps some more moving if you want a certain buttons to call up certain sounds.

• Members

Okay I've made some progress yesterday. I used my FM8 plugin and made a program list all working (and I was mistaken my keyboard have 32 not 64 places). The thing is that I want to make program lists out of many VSTs. I got Korg and analog factory as well. is it doable?

thanks

Archived