September New Gear Thread!

zoink

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get your point.

But I've wanted a Moog since the 1980s (never owned one), and it really sounds amazing. I got a Moog!

No point being made... More the feeling that I could not cope with it all in one go... I am sure over a period of time it is easy to gain a collection...

I would love one of those Moogs and I could never justify it. Picking up the free Arturia Soft Synth was great to get a little bit on the sound when needed...

I am sure you will love that thing, it has a luscious filter and real character... :)

• Members

actually bought in August, but first time had chance to take some pics today.

DSCN5952.jpg

I'm a pretty picky person, generally. I want my stuff to be unapologetically good sounding. with that in mind, and what I was after, my initial thoughts:

the plusses:

1) sounds like a HAMMOND!

2) real drawbars and good sounding leslie sim

3) compact - this thing is so much smaller footprint and only 15lbs vs. the XK-1 I used to own 4) tactile feel of the keybed.

the minuses:

1) as some others have mentioned, the extra voices are just so-so, but that's OK, I have them covered already with my primary board

2) I gotta get some velcro to hold this puppy down, so light.

3) only a few "rock" pre-sets, but I can and will make more (already got my Santana ones made and saved).

looking forward to gigging this in a few weeks.

DSCN5955.jpg

• Members

I actually decided to buy some plugins this month - mostly for processing modular sounds but also for fun. I bought some Twisted Tools stuff. I already made one sample map for S-Layer of all modular stuff. This stuff is great fun

S-Layer_FX2.pngrolodecks_feature.png

I also grabbed Iris + 2. I made an offer to AudioDeluxe for 20% off their price and they accepted. I figured if they were having a 20% off sale on effects they might do that for synths too. I demo'd this over my 4 day Labor Day holiday - played with it quite a bit - and decided that I really like it and that it really is quite different than Alchemy in its user interface. It is actually much simpler than Alchemy but also has a friendly and fun interface. Most importantly it sounds marvelous!

iZotope_Iris_allOpen.png

• Members

So, is it living up to your expectations - or are you bored with it already.

Nice way to rain on the Moog parade, if that's the kind of jab it appears to be.

The LP is exceeding expectations, actually. I'll be enjoying it for many years to come.

I don't get bored with my gear. If I bought it in the first place, it's because a lot of research and forethought went into it, and I tend to hold onto things for the very reason. I still have and use synths that I bought 10, 15, and 25 years ago.

In my experience, the people who get bored easily are the ones who buy and sell their gear every 6 months.

• Members

HTC-One-S-Final.jpg

My wife's iphone was stolen in July (on her birthday no less) and I gave her my 10 day old iphone4 cause I couldnt bear to see her so down especially on her bday (I got PLENTY of brownie points for that). However, I have been paying for a data plan and out of a phone since July so I finally broke down and bought a new phone.

I have to say, having owned two iphones already and really enjoying them, this HTC phone is has completely won me over. :love:

• Members

samsung_galaxy_tab_2_7-0-540x421.jpg

The campus bookstore has a new policy where you can use any financial aid on anything in the store, whether that money would come back in a refund check or not. I had some left over that wouldn't have come back, so I spoiled myself. Will be so helpful for organization, quick thoughts, mobile web, etc. (I still don't have a smart phone). Now I've got to figure out what the best Android music apps are...

• Members

CA6C3E54-BCED-4694-88C4-9FD5DB9B8E4F-769

got the new PPg wave app and some new patch cables in funky colors from Erthenvar.

PPG is by far the best ipad synth i have tried, i like most aspects of it better than animoog. pulling up frequencies manually in the wavetable spectrum while playing pads on the keyboard is just plain fun if youre into ambient, and the variety of ways that you can apply modulation from your finger movements on the keyboard makes it feel really 'organic'. id not hesitate to use this in the studio with a seperate external keyboard. live im not so sure about, i had a crash whilst playing it but i seem to do that to every music ipad app.

• Members

Nice way to rain on the Moog parade, if that's the kind of jab it appears to be....

No - it wasn't a jab, or a put-down or anything like that.

I've had tons of synth gear, but have never had a Moog. Kind of doesn't seem right, considering all the other brands I've used. I used to get deeply into programming stuff though, and the Moog stuff never seemed to offer what I was after in that area. Also, after I got my Andromeda, that kind of quenched the analog thirst.

Good to see you're liking it though. :thu:

• Members

....In my experience, the people who get bored easily are the ones who buy and sell their gear every 6 months.

In my experience, the people who get bored easily are the ones who have gear lists like this: (OK - this is a little jab, but I'm also one of those people, so I guess it's a jab at me too - ha ha :lol::lol: )

PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Waldorf Q, M3-61, Fantom X7, Motif 8, EX-5 (x2), V-Synth, K2000 (x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, D3200, Wavestation SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, KP, KP3, Poly 800, DS-10+, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine, ASR10, ASR88, ASR-X Pro, EPS, Virus B, Equinox, E-Mu XL-7, MiniAK, Synthstation 25, X-Station, XioSynth, TG33, Venom, V50, UltraNova, Korg Z1, Spark.

Archived