Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some good Rhodes Jazz recordings other than Herbie?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good Rhodes Jazz recordings other than Herbie?

I

Chick Corea's "Spain" and "La Fiesta" are some good ones, although not exactly what you said you were looking for, then there is the Return to Forever (with Al Dimeola, Stanley Clarke, and Lenny White), really out there stuff for its day.

Ray Charles played a mean Rhodes, check out some of his old stuff.

As does Bob James.

that's about how far my brain can be racked on older Rhodes players other than Herbie.

Comment

Comment

When I think Jazz Rhodes I actually think Chick Corea...

http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

You won't find much Rhodes in bop and swing settings for obvious reasons...it didn't even exist until the late sixties! There are recordings of Duke Ellington playing a Wurlitzer back in the 50s, not sure if they are currently available (I have them on an OOP Mosaic boxset).

There's an old Columbia LP called "The Bill Evans Album" where Bill plays Rhodes on about half the tunes.

Joe Zawinul with Cannonball Adderly, "Mercy Mercy Mercy", "Country Preacher", etc. though that's more "soul jazz" than bebop.
          My VCAs go to 11

Comment

Not pure jazz, more soul, but great Rhodes playing.

Did You Feel That? (1994)
            Joe Sample

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/v2/records/150/Joe+Sample+Did+You+Feel+That%3F.html

Name: farmer
            Rating: 5 / 5
            Comments: this album is a must have for fender funk lovers. a fantastic line-up: Joe Sample (rhodes), Steve Gadd (drums) and a funky horn section.
            Also useful developping your own skills and timing

Comment

Hampton Hawes also played the Rhodes in the early '70's. Northern Windows is one example.

Comment

i love Deodatos Rhodesplaying. Very rhythmic!
                the difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference
                Album out now! http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/cosmicpassenger
                http://www.vimeo.com/user772171/videos

Comment

Late to this thread, but i second the motion on:
                  Bill Evans
                  Deodata (Also Sprach Zarathustra)
                  Joe Sample

Comment

"You won't find much Rhodes in bop and swing settings for obvious reasons...it didn't even exist until the late sixties!"

I know that. But I was hoping there are some modern (still alive, playing in 2012) straight ahead jazz groups who just happen to use a rhodes and might have recorded a CD of standards or something.

thanks

Comment

Any Crusaders before 1978. Joe Sample does great Rhodes work on that stuff. I have a 1978 CD of them during the disco era - fusion to a disco beat. YUK.
                      this sig no verb

Comment

A personal fav: