lolmicrokorg

• Members

Why does it seem to me that most synth people make fun of the MicroKorg so much? IMO it is affordable, sounds great, is highly portable, and looks vaguely retro (I guess?). Yes, it has mini keys, but isn't that really the only downside? It has the same sound engine as the MS2000, and we all agree that the MS2k is a great piece of hardware, right?

Why do people hate on this synth so much? EXPLAIN YOURSELVES. NAO.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

because its the de-facto entry synth for guitarists who want to add vague things like "ambience" and "sound fx" to their band, and the interface typically leads them away from actually learning how to program it - resulting in a bunch of microkorg noises for a while and then a FS post on craigslist 3 months later.

a generalization, but generalizations tend to have a nugget of truth to them. this one has a whopper of a nugget of truth to it.

• Members

That and it was the default hardware synth for any aspiring hipster who wanted to make indie electro.

It is pretty good sounding though. No harm there.

I'd shy away from it personally mainly because of the mini-keys and the 3-digit-LED programming interface. (Obviously, my personal preference is not the marketplace preference, because the Microkorg / R3 are still in production while the MS2000 / Radias are not.)

• Members

I think it sounds great. I just thought other synths (the Roland VAs in particular) sounded better and had better interfaces.

Back when we had guitarists come in here every day to ask what keyboard to add ambiences to their guitar band for under 300 dollars, I made this to show them:

another.jpg

Now it seems like the keys-for-guitar-band fad has passed...

• Members

Just so you know, I love that pic and have shown it to loads of people.
:)

Heh cool! I never knew it would make the rounds at Korg.

Not exactly MicroKorg on-topic, but I'm pretty sure I'll get me a MicroKeys 37 to add mobility to my setup. I love the newer microkeybeds... they feel great to play.

• Members

Bernard,

Had one when they first came out, loved it, sold it, replaced it with a NL2X(rack).
:p

(that's a step in the "right" direction, right?)

I like the SH201 and the NL2 (x) (Rack) in the same way. Not exactly my personal taste but fine synths...

I wanted a MS2000 when it first came out... Held on for the Radias, realized it sounded different (not bad just like the SH201 and NL2, it has a newer VA sound). Realized I was mad not to buy the Micro KORG as I liked its sound so much and the smaller unit is a cost space no brainer... It's one of those rare things I am seriously tempted to by a second unit again! If they ever blow the last of them out I will be keen to get a No2...:thu:

The KORG R3 tempts me every day :facepalm: I just don't want to OD on three octave VA's :p

• Members

so...microkorg or microkorgXL?

which and why?

The XL is based on the Radias/R3 synth engine and the effects from the KAOSS line... So my comments above answer which I prefer... Real advantage for those that may prefer a more modern VA sound is extra poly, cleaner Vocoder (may also have a better mic) and lots of ROM sounds like a cool Piano and other stuff..

Still I would pick up another micro KORG before thinking of the XL, that's just me... The R3 would be my preference if I wanted that cleaner VA sound as it has full sized keys and a better step sequencer IF etc.... Although a harder sounding SH32 may be a better compliment to what I have already for instant tweaks and sonic mayhem etc...

• Members

D.Crunk pretty much nailed it on the first reply. :thu:

I have not actually played one. But I have yet to be disappointed with Korg sounds, so I'm sure that the MK sounds just fine. But since I like to play just as much as I like plink plink noice, I won't have one due to the small keys.

• Members

so...microkorg or microkorgXL?

which and why?

For live performance, the original. At any time, you can get to any of 8 patches with a single button press, instead of having to rotate a dial. What a bad interface decision that change was. I didn't even know about it having a different engine, I was just thinking about "upgrading" from the reg to the XL when it came out, in order to get the extra polyphony and nicer keys. But once I saw the patch recall mechanism, I stuck with what I had. As it turns out, by many accounts, I lucked out, as it meant I ended up keeping the more "dirty analog" sounding of the two, which I expect I'd prefer.

• Members

ah, okay so the 'sound" is different on the origional microkorg..okay cool...i've only played on the XL...the microkorg U.i. looks better to me overall..the arp having real on/off buttons, wooden sides! etc.

that and 8 out 10 cats prefer the microkorg!

microkorg.jpg

• Members

ah, okay so the 'sound" is different on the origional microkorg..okay cool...i've only played on the XL...the microkorg U.i. looks better to me overall..the arp having real on/off buttons, wooden sides! etc.

Yep wood PK screwed into plastic but still a dam cool looking board for sure... dam cool !

• Members

The KORG R3 tempts me every day
:facepalm:
I just don't want to OD on three octave VA's
:p

The R3 is a fun little VA. I got lucky and found one for $200 in perfect shape a couple of years ago, and I've had a ball with it. You can sit with it in your favorite easy chair and tweak patches for hours. If Korg would release something similar with Electribe features and an expanded control surface (i.e. more knobs), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Members

The R3 is a fun little VA. I got lucky and found one for $200 in perfect shape a couple of years ago, and I've had a ball with it. You can sit with it in your favorite easy chair and tweak patches for hours. If Korg would release something similar with Electribe features and an expanded control surface (i.e. more knobs), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

You want to try living here where peeps try to sell gear at higher than street price when they have worn it out.... LOL

• Members

I had a room mate who owned the EMX-1 and seem to remember it being very similar sounding to the R3. The manual said it had the MMT synth engine, which is what the Radias and R3 had. That was about four years ago though, so I can't say I really remember much about the features it had.

Archived