OT : A K-Pop song almost 1M hits in youtube

cowby

• Members

LOL! That song is sooo fashionable "molded" (everything is done to fit certain mold = sooo predictable).

I am so sure I have heard this before... this song sounds almost like a cover version of something other modern song!

:bor:

Heh, that is the gist of pop music isn't it? The same familiar chord progressions, melodies, rhythms, and sounds are mixed in with some new (or not really) words and get played and purchased by the masses because "familiar" == "safe".

Taken for what it is - a goofy guy doing silly things and/or pictured in silly situations and/or dancing around to "safe" music with hot chicks who would probably not give him the time of day, I thought it was entertaining. I would never buy the music and one watch/listen + a second on some TV show with the hot chicks was enough.

That being said, measured in terms of eyeballs and ears times time in today's marketing environment under the so-called "war for your attention", the fact that this video attracted so many hits makes it immensely valuable.

• Members

The last time a foreign-language song (Spanish excluded) got airplay on US radio was Nena's "99 Luftballons" - and that was almost 30 years ago!

Without going down to the cellar to pull that out of my box of 7"s that are still sat around, wasn;t the German language version on the B-side of the single?

The track charted here but mostly the airplay was the English language version.

• Members

They're even playing this song on pop radio stations! The last time a foreign-language song (Spanish excluded) got airplay on US radio was Nena's "99 Luftballons" - and that was almost 30 years ago!

Rammstein's "Du Hast" was the last I remember getting major airplay... in fact the German version got far more airplay than the English version. Still 13 years ago, and only on the hard rock channels (where occasionally you'll hear later Rammstein too.) (We'll overlook the "Numa Numa" sample in TI's "Live Your Life".)

I don't think any Asian language song has entered the American radio charts since Kyu Sakamoto's "Ue o Muite Aruk?" (retitled Sukiyaki for silly English folks) in 1963, though!

• Members

Sounds like a GAIA to me
:lol:

Not like it means much to HCFX forumites, but F/X member Crystal in the above video (the one with the green/red trousers) is the sister of Girl's Generation/SNSD's Jessica. Of course, you might want to check out the bubbly jangling dream-pop cover my wife and I did of the following tune first: http://themajestichigh.bandcamp.com/track/gee-snsd

U7mPqycQ0tQ

• Members

Heh, that is the gist of pop music isn't it? The same familiar chord progressions, melodies, rhythms, and sounds are mixed in with some new (or not really) words and get played and purchased by the masses because "familiar" == "safe".

Taken for what it is - a goofy guy doing silly things and/or pictured in silly situations and/or dancing around to "safe" music with hot chicks who would probably not give him the time of day, I thought it was entertaining. I would never buy the music and one watch/listen + a second on some TV show with the hot chicks was enough.

That being said, measured in terms of eyeballs and ears times time in today's marketing environment under the so-called "war for your attention", the fact that this video attracted so many hits makes it immensely valuable.

True. The fact that dance powerhouse YG practically acquired PSY for this last release and the "loose" production of the video caught so many eyeballs abroad makes it even more interesting over here.

Despite cheese and overproduction, the direction of dance music in the K-Pop industry since about 2007 has been a definite upgrade of sorts, after companies realized that investing a huge amount of money in trainees could result in more than a pretty face that could dance. Keep in mind that the populace has always been rather narrow minded when it comes to domestic productions (I've listened to Korean pop music since 1988), the benchmark of daejung gayo being dramatically altered and almost permanently focused on a dynamically visual presentation as a result of Seo Taiji's debut album in 1992. It simply turned the industry upside down amidst a very conservative, disgruntled society that had just began to not only experience a tad bit more freedom under democracy (the 1987 "election" of former general Roh TaeWoo doesn't count), but also seeing some of its own people do bombastic things on stage and not get "censored" on governmentally-funded TV stations like KBS sparked an interest in the visual presentation of pop music that high-powered industries like the J-pop market had already perfected. The crazy thing over here is that during the '90s, vocal ability wasn't just secondary, it even was less important than lyrical content, by far.

Still, despite the American Top 40 being played on the radio every Sunday night and local folks "accepting" the numerous genres that could be accepted under the fat umbrella called "pop music", since 1992 it pretty much remained a "dance or ballad" industry. Sure, it still is that way, but as of a few years ago we've got riff-based chorus melodies that now can make No.1 hits in the K-pop market, much closer to what was once an "import" concept...Just one of a few ways the market is changing.

PSY in particular is a character and a half, his debut songs and daring innuendo-laced lyrics from 2001 being not that much different from what we see now. The more interesting thing to me is how Gangnam Style has sparked a sudden interest in 19 year-old HyunA and her group 4Minute, which didn't do so well this past summer despite the huge budget they had for the release and promo:

qsWl1--Niyg

• Members

The bandcamp will not play. Could be my security settings.. Sorry..

Cute vid though...

:wave:

One thing that bothers me is that the video gives me no cues that help me decide how old these girls are. Some of them look like women dressed as girls and some look like little girls dressed as women. Am I supposed to think they are sexy women or cutesy little girls prancing for the little boys? According to the Wikipedia page the girls are between the ages of 21 and 23 years old. I find the video confusing sexually. This would be one of those times I just retreat into the safety and comfort of my long time monogamous relationship... and the fact that I am an old toad anyway. My *younger* brother has daughters that are older than these girls :D

• Members

One thing that bothers me is that the video gives me no cues that help me decide how old these girls are. Some of them look like women dressed as girls and some look like little girls dressed as women. Am I supposed to think they are sexy women or cutesy little girls prancing for the little boys? According to the Wikipedia page the girls are between the ages of 21 and 23 years old. I find the video confusing sexually. This would be one of those times I just retreat into the safety and comfort of my long time monogamous relationship... and the fact that I am an old toad anyway. My *younger* brother has daughters that are older than these girls
:D

I just saw a pop vid... :lol:

:cool:

• Members

One thing that bothers me is that the video gives me no cues that help me decide how old these girls are. Some of them look like women dressed as girls and some look like little girls dressed as women. Am I supposed to think they are sexy women or cutesy little girls prancing for the little boys?

You're not too far off. SNSD's maknae Seohyeon (the one at 2:00 with feathers and sunglasses) was 17 when that video was made.

The whole cuteness/silliness prompted my wife and I to do the cover version, with me singing from a guy's point of few (sort of, it's filled with girl-isms that makes it kinda weird). We may do something like that again very soon, so many K-pop tunes are top-notch MOR songs that are hecka fun to re-arrange.

• Members

Showing my complete ignorance - you can make money off youtube views??

I believe if you have an official music video and an aggregator (like CDBaby / TuneCore / MondTunes etc.) or a label that promotes it and collects royalties, yes, you can - BUT you have to generate millions of view like Psy to make money just with the views. Regular chaps like you and I can only make a few dollars here and there via YouTube Adsense ads. As usual, it's all about the content and quality of the music and video, and if it goes viral or not, very simple...

Archived