Korg Krome

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott
    View Post

Maybe look for a used Motif XS (or XF)? In a new board, the closest to what you want might be a Kurzweil PC3LE.

Personally,I would choose a Motif XS over a Kurzweil PC3LE.I am a previous owner of one and the screen, effects routing and the overall layout of the sequencer is a bad joke.

Not only will the PC3LE NOT get you going without a computer,the PC integration is also piss-poor.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969
      View Post

The Krome's 2.8GB worth of uncompressed and un-looped piano samples,versus the MOX's amount of piano sample data(355MB for the overall ROM)...that's subjective??

Your utter lack of knowledge about keyboards precludes the possibility of you making a valid argument.

Attitude aside, zzzxtreme was talking about the entirety of the included sounds, not just the piano. (Although it is also possible that someone could prefer the sound of a technically lest sophisticated piano... size isn't everything.)

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969
      View Post

If you're really fond of your street-sign-yellow M50,then no...you may not want to ditch your caution-yellow M50 for a Krome,because more than likely,you won't ever see a Krome in anything other than black.

Damn dude....speaking of fugly as sin,you're M50 is an abomination.Explain to me how a Fisher Price yellow M50 is prettier than the Krome??

The nice thing about the colored M50s is that the could be easier to use and read on stage or in other less-than-ideally lit environments, compared to the stock black-on-black M50 design. From the pics, it looks like the Krome might be better than the M50 in that respect, even though it's still a kind of black-on-black, because the textures/reflectiveness seem different.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by CfNorENa
        View Post

For anyone who cares, one feature of the Krome worth noting is the sequencer. It's essentially the M3 sequencer, so a big step up from the M50 (drag and drop editing; track view; piano roll editor, etc.). And it has a bigger touchscreen, in full color. Given the specs and the GUI, the Krome will sport the best sequencer in the Korg workstation lineup -- significantly better, in fact, than what is on the flagship Kronos!

I certainly care about the sequencer,as even though my DAWS are the central workhorse of my studio,sometimes I prefer to lay down an idea on a piece of hardware,or just supplement my songs,without having to worry about additional CPU usage.

However,I have to wonder how much inspiration I can derive from the Krome,if the synth sound set is no different than that of the M50?I don't even care if the amount of data dedicated to the synth sounds is no different,just so long as some of the samples themselves,are different.

The inclusion of the Radias engine would have been nice,but I suppose it would have driven up the price significantly.

Comment

View Post

The Krome's 2.8GB worth of uncompressed and un-looped piano samples,versus the MOX's amount of piano sample data(355MB for the overall ROM)...that's subjective??

Your utter lack of knowledge about keyboards precludes the possibility of you making a valid argument.

That's pretty harsh. As I recall, Kronos users initially had a hard time finding a piano sound on that board that could cut through as well as the pianos in the Motif could. So just because the Kronos/Krome piano sound is a better emulation doesn't make it better in all cases.

Comment

View Post

Attitude aside, zzzxtreme was talking about the entirety of the included sounds, not just the piano. (Although it is also possible that someone could prefer the sound of a technically lest sophisticated piano... size isn't everything.)

The nice thing about the colored M50s is that the could be easier to use and read on stage or in other less-than-ideally lit environments, compared to the stock black-on-black M50 design. From the pics, it looks like the Krome might be better than the M50 in that respect, even though it's still a kind of black-on-black, because the textures/reflectiveness seem different.

Yes...oddly enough,people do find Korg's M1-quality type of piano sounds purposeful in some way,but if all the keyboard has to offer-is just those sh*tty pianos sounds,what's the point?

It's about Godd**n time,that Korg has some authentic sounding pianos at a budget price(which is an amazing feature),so that one has the option of including some quality pianos to their songs in a DAW for example,without any additional CPU usage.

Besides which,Korg will always include their old cheesy pianos,in whatever keyboard they make in the future.

As for the color scheme...well...if being able to see what the hell one is doing on stage,necessitates the need for a neon yellow keyboard,then something is terribly wrong. Wouldn't a portable,clamp-on LED stage-light do the trick...maybe??

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by nobeatnik
              View Post

That's pretty harsh. As I recall, Kronos users initially had a hard time finding a piano sound on that board that could cut through as well as the pianos in the Motif could. So just because the Kronos/Krome piano sound is a better emulation doesn't make it better in all cases.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Motif XF's pianos...if so,what of it?What's the point of that?The MOX's pianos are very impressive...in that they are vastly superior to that of the M50,but that's an entirely different discussion altogether.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by zoink
                View Post

Point being, Krome has to my eyes the same tone generator and effects section as the M50. Most of Krome's 3.8 gb wave ROM is dedicated to the piano section, with 256 mb left over for everything else. That's not exactly chump change, but the 3.8 gb statistic can be a little misleading.

Krome looks to be an M50 with (much needed) better pianos, a larger screen, and a different look. No doubt it has some other improvements, but that seems to be the meat of it.

2.8GB are dedicated to the pianos,300MB for the drums....which leaves 700MB to the rest of the sound sets,which is pretty damn good,to my eyes.There are some additional effects,in contrast to the M50 as well.

Still...it's a mystery to me,just how much data exactly,is dedicated to the synth set....so it is possible that the synth portion of the Krome could be identical to that of the M50....hopefully not though.

Comment

View Post

Personally,I would choose a Motif XS over a Kurzweil PC3LE.

They each have their pros and cons... I'd say the Kurz beats the XS in organs and EPs, for example. But in terms of new stuff, the PC3LE7 is a nice value... 76 keys and aftertouch for $1795 (or the 88 key version for $2195). Aftertouch being important to the OP, Yamaha can't really touch that (nor Korg nor Roland).

Comment

View Post

2.8GB are dedicated to the pianos,300MB for the drums....which leaves 700MB to the rest of the sound sets,which is pretty damn good,to my eyes.

From what I've read, I believe the breakdown is:

2.8 gb piano, 600 mb of EPs, about 150 mb drums and 256 mb for everything else. The M50 had 256 mb for everything. I understand that at least some of the Krome's 256 is different from the M50, which makes sense especially since that 256 included a certain amount of space for pianos and EPs that would not be the best use of that space in the Krome with its separate piano/EP allotment. Someone in another forum mentioned additional sounds in the mellotron and combo organ categories, I"m not sure what else may be new or different.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Re-Member
                      View Post

I'm feeling rather "meh" about this keyboard. Even though it has more added features than the M50, the M50 still looks cooler to me from a design prospective. Ignoring what's on the inside, the Krome just looks like yet another ordinary keyboard you'd see in a Sears electronics section. I felt the same way about the Kronos, even though the engine still has me intrigued. But to be honest, I couldn't care less how great the new piano sounds are. I'm more of a synth guy and still like using just the classically cheesy M1 piano when it's called for. If they made an alternative version that looked like the M50 and had the AL-1, MOD-7, MS-20EX & PolysixEX engines instead of the new piano and drum engines, I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

I have to admit,the Kronos-nor the Krome,are not the sexist looking boards I've ever seen,but they are not ugly either.By the way,from a marketing standpoint,the VA engines you mentioned cost next to nothing PC-software-wise,but you put all of that into a hardware keyboard-the price sky-rockets and without any bread & butter sounds,it's not likely to be a hot commodity on the gear market...considering all of the VA synths that are out there.

Comment

• FYI, as of this writing the Chrome is in stock at Sweetwater. I called nearby Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores, but none had arrived yet. The guy at GC told me that they had Chromes en route, but couldn't tell me when they might arrive.
                        -------------------------------
                        Michael
                        Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
                        27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
                        http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

View Post

They each have their pros and cons... I'd say the Kurz beats the XS in organs and EPs, for example. But in terms of new stuff, the PC3LE7 is a nice value... 76 keys and aftertouch for $1795 (or the 88 key version for $2195). Aftertouch being important to the OP, Yamaha can't really touch that (nor Korg nor Roland).

I'm aware of Kurzweil's advantages with organs,EP's synths..etc.,...but the prospective buyer who wants to create polished songs without the use of a computer,is pretty well f**ked in that respect and that was the heart of that particular discussion.

Kurzweil frustrates the living hell out of me,because they concoct the most amazing,inspiring and versatile synth engine,have retro compatibility and some impressive effects as well,but with a display screen and sequencer that is 15 years behind the times.

What's worse,is that Kurzweil offers no VST plug-in support and the company is just too small,under-financed and too short-staffed to be productive and innovative enough to compete with companies like Korg.

Kurzweil doesn't even offer their sounds in a software package and in my opinion,Kurzweil has no business creating anything other than instruments for live use,because they have just lagged WAY too behind their competition,in terms of catering to the studio musician.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
                            View Post

FYI, as of this writing the Chrome is in stock at Sweetwater. I called nearby Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores, but none had arrived yet. The guy at GC told me that they had Chromes en route, but couldn't tell me when they might arrive.

Damn...that was quick!I remember reading that they weren't due until the 24th.I really need to demo a Krome beforehand,but if I had the cash at the ready,I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on one from them.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

View Post

2.8GB are dedicated to the pianos,300MB for the drums....which leaves 700MB to the rest of the sound sets,which is pretty damn good,to my eyes.

Well, see, there's the problem: most of us use our ears to evaluate these things.
                              "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic
                                View Post

Well, see, there's the problem: most of us use our ears to evaluate these things.

The real problem,is I must use my eyes,before I use my ears..so I have a general idea of what's arriving at my door via FedEx.

Comment

Working...
                                X