Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
    View Post

Assuming the same price, the 61-key Krome could really top the MOX if it has a really nice keyboard action. The MOX is mediocre at best, but better than the M50. If Korg is able to put a really nice action in a 61-key instrument for $1200, that could definitely pull some buyers away from Yamaha.

Street prices in the U.S. look like:

61 - $999

73 - $1199

88 - $1599

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott
      View Post

I think that's the biggest appeal. If the action is decent (remains to be seen), it pretty much replaces the SV1, functionally. Better piano and EP sounds, more secondary sounds, lighter weight, same price range, and with a flat surface you can stack on instead of a curved surface you can't. Only missing the tube..

The action appears to be the same as on the SP170. I''ll be curious to see how it feels on the Krome. Sometimes the same mechanism feels different on different models... (maybe it's the chassis, maybe it's the way the programming mates the keyboard response to the sounds, maybe it's some subtle tweaking, I don't know, but I've seen it happen...)

Comment

Only $999 for a workstation with color touch screen and Kronos sounds? Yamaha and Roland are sunk!
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"> Kurz PC1se, Motif XS6, Roland JD-990, Kawai K4, Roland JV-2080, Mopho X4</font></div>

Comment

I'm feeling rather "meh" about this keyboard. Even though it has more added features than the M50, the M50 still looks cooler to me from a design prospective. Ignoring what's on the inside, the Krome just looks like yet another ordinary keyboard you'd see in a Sears electronics section. I felt the same way about the Kronos, even though the engine still has me intrigued. But to be honest, I couldn't care less how great the new piano sounds are. I'm more of a synth guy and still like using just the classically cheesy M1 piano when it's called for. If they made an alternative version that looked like the M50 and had the AL-1, MOD-7, MS-20EX & PolysixEX engines instead of the new piano and drum engines, I'd be sold in a heartbeat.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b>Hard</b>: JP-8000, MC-505, R3, microSTATION, Moog Theremin, miniKP, Ineko, Bitrman <br />
          <b>Soft</b>: Ableton Live 8, Korg Legacy Collection, FM8, D16 Classic Boxes/SilverLine Collection</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybee
            View Post

Street prices in the U.S. look like:

61 - $999

73 - $1199

88 - $1599

Yes, I am seeing those prices here on the Sweetwater site, with free shipping.

Sweetwater also has the M50-61 for $999, with the "M50 Updates Pre-Installed" -

"Sweetwater updates it for you!

The Korg M50-61 you buy from Sweetwater is better! Before we ship it to you we upgrade it to the latest Operating System v1.10 that adds a number of improvements including 700 additional effects presets. We also install the M50-61 Vintage Keys Collection, which adds 32 new EPs, Wurlys, and Clavs that have up to eight velocity layers and extensive vintage effects processing. Finally, we include a Sweetwater M50-61 Bonus CD-ROM loaded with the new v1.10 M50-61 Editor for Mac and PC, updated Owner's Manuals, Quick Start Guide, Patch Lists, SysEx Charts, Parameter Guide, and USB Drivers for Mac and PC."

Regarding the action, the M50 is simply described as "semi-weighted keyboard."

The Krome, on the other hand, is advertised as having "Natural Touch Semi-weighted Action for exceptional playability."

At $999, the Krome 61 would seem to be an exceptional value (even though those Korg people still don't see fit to put dedicated octave up/down buttons on their 61-key instrument. This is what happens when keyboards are designed by engineers and not musicians who play them.)

I will wait to actually play one of these things, and examine the overall build quality before scrounging up $999 to get one. But assuming the Krome is a reasonably competent instrument, does anyone think Yamaha will have to lower the price of the MOX6 (currently at $1,199)?
            -------------------------------
            Michael
            Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
            27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
            http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

Something else Korg does right:

"A powerful DAW, and plug-in support for your computer-based DAW

The Krome-61's powerful 16-track sequencer, plus five insert effects, two master effects, and per-track EQ, means you can create amazing music with nothing but this workstation. But thanks to the plug-in editor software, you can use the Krome-61 as a plug-in in your computer-based DAW too. So whether you prefer to work on a keyboard workstation, produce on a computer with Krome sounds, or a combination of both workflows, you'll appreciate the flexibility and intuitiveness of the Krome-61.
              "

I can work this way with my Micro X, and the M3 has a plug-in editor as well. They work like a charm with Digital Performer, allowing me to save synth setups directly into the song file.

Yamaha does not have this for the MOX, which blows. I believe they have something that works with Cubase. Really? Cubase?
              -------------------------------
              Michael
              Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
              27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
              http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

anotherscott, yeah i just noticed the weight keys action, apparently same as SP170. I've tried SP170 many times and I prefer it over RH3 which I have owned. RH3 feels to deep/big, making it difficult/tiring to play fast passages, on the other hand SP170 feels way way better, more pleasurable. so it's all good for the 88 key krome
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"></font></div>

Comment

I wonder if they are going to discontinue the M50. Interesting to have this running side by side with it.

Maybe korg hopes there's little market overlap that will sustain both of them?
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
                  <b>Give me my moog, but **** off you american techno rockstar! people in countries I've never been to do it better than you! </b><br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="http://www.computermusicguide.com" target="_blank">Computer Music Guide</a><br />
                  <br />
                  </font></div>

Comment

View Post

The Krome, on the other hand, is advertised as having "Natural Touch Semi-weighted Action for exceptional playability."

If it is a better set of keys (with sprung hinges), I may go for the 73 Key

I would also hope that they have damped the end stops. Keys with aftertouch and soft springing do not clunk. Where the M50 had a soft action, without aftertouch it clunked a tad as there was such a firm end to the key stroke. I am sure I would adapt in any case

Fingers crossed...
                    世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme
                      View Post

anotherscott, yeah i just noticed the weight keys action, apparently same as SP170. I've tried SP170 many times and I prefer it over RH3 which I have owned. RH3 feels to deep/big, making it difficult/tiring to play fast passages, on the other hand SP170 feels way way better, more pleasurable. so it's all good for the 88 key krome

Yes, I could see where some people could prefer the SP170 to the RH3. I don't think Korg really has an action that competes with the best of Yamaha and Roland, but actions are notoriously subjective.

View Post

Regarding the action, the M50 is simply described as "semi-weighted keyboard."

Actually, on Korg's own site, the M50 is listed as having as "semi-weighted Natural Touch keyboard" -- and also of note, they list the Kronos as having a "Natural Touch Semi Weighted" action! So the fact that they use the same terminology does not mean the action is the same (as the 61-key M50 and Kronos actions do feel different from each other). It may be premature to assume the Krome uses the SP170 keybed after all.

Comment

• The demos sound like GMidi. 1k for the 88 is about right.
                        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">
                        <div class="bbcode_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote">
                        <div class="quote_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

• You think those pianos sound like General MIDI?

I do want to hear more of the synth sounds though. I wonder if they got any of the digital filters from the MS20 and PolySix engines in the Kronos... one can but hope. The standard MMT filters from M3/M50 don't appeal to me.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

• No not the keys sounds. The orchestral/synth stuff; typically reedy cheezy. Worth a thousand as a piano plus. IMO
                            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">
                            <div class="bbcode_container">
                            <div class="bbcode_quote">
                            <div class="quote_container">
                            <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
                              View Post

Yes, I am seeing those prices here on the Sweetwater site, with free shipping.

Sweetwater also has the M50-61 for $999, with the "M50 Updates Pre-Installed" -

"Sweetwater updates it for you!

The Korg M50-61 you buy from Sweetwater is better! Before we ship it to you we upgrade it to the latest Operating System v1.10 that adds a number of improvements including 700 additional effects presets. We also install the M50-61 Vintage Keys Collection, which adds 32 new EPs, Wurlys, and Clavs that have up to eight velocity layers and extensive vintage effects processing. Finally, we include a Sweetwater M50-61 Bonus CD-ROM loaded with the new v1.10 M50-61 Editor for Mac and PC, updated Owner's Manuals, Quick Start Guide, Patch Lists, SysEx Charts, Parameter Guide, and USB Drivers for Mac and PC."

If all these incentive add-ons are exclusive to Sweetwater, then great.

If they are add-ons that I can get/do myself, I would rather have a factory sealed carton shipped to me, rather than have Sweetwater opening up and messing around with my new, expensive instrument.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="https://twitter.com/ArtScienceSound/status/208313686459293697" target="_blank"><font color="blue">&quot;I remember when dubstep was just called &quot;LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth&quot; in the '60s&quot; - Alan Parsons</font></a><br />
                              <br />
                              <font size="1">Kurzweil PC3<font size="2">♦</font></font><font size="1">Alesis Fusion 6HD</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QS7.1 (2)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QSR</font>♦<font size="1"> Alesis S4+</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis DMPRO</font>♦<font size="1">Evolution MK-461C</font>♦<font size="1">Rhodes Mark II Stage 73</font>♦<font size="1">Roland JX-8P</font>♦<font size="1">Kawai K1 &amp; K1m</font>♦<br />
                              <font size="1"> <br />
                              <br />
                              <br />
                              <br />
                              <br />
                              <br />
                              <br />
                              <br />
                              <br />
                              </font></div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic
                                View Post

If all these incentive add-ons are exclusive to Sweetwater, then great.

If they are add-ons that I can get/do myself, I would rather have a factory sealed carton shipped to me, rather than have Sweetwater opening up and messing around with my new, expensive instrument.

Yeah, they seem to open up a lot of stuff and mess with it. Send me the freebies and I'll install 'em myself. Just stay the hell out of my new box!
                                <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Keyboards:</b> Roland Fantom G6 (2); Korg Kronos 61; Muse Receptor VIP; Nord Electro 3; Privia PX-350<br><br><br><br><b>Guitar Stuff:</b> Route 101 Solimar; Line 6 POD X3 Live, Pocket POD (2)</div>

Comment

Working...
                                X