Question about synth programming (MoPho)

hooya

• Members

When adjusting parameters on a MoPho patch the editor has a few bits of terminology that I don't quite understand.

When assigning a value to "Low Pass", what is it actually changing? The Frequency knob in the LP filter section? If so, does that mean that I'm effectively bypassing the ADSR shape of the LP filter? Because I also notice that there's an "Env 1 Amount" which seems to be the LP Filter section Amount knob. I'm assuming these aren't the same.

Most or all of the other questions I have can probably be answered by me just learning more about creating patches for subtractive synthesis units. Does anyone have any good resources you know of? I'm to the point where I'm starting to experiment with using the LFO sections to do more than just pitch oscillation. Up to this point I have basically just produced sounds by filtering a combination of the two waveforms and subs. Going through some of the default patches I can see some interesting routing where the LFO is changing things in the waveform generation (adjusting Pulse width, or doing things with the LP filter) so I'm looking to expand my understanding of how this all works together.

Finally, if anyone knows of any good resources for MoPho patches that I can look at, I'd be interested in taking a look. Primarily interested in Lead sounds, definitely not interested in sequence based sounds, since I'm using a Wind controller with the MoPho.

• Members

That guide is exactly what I've been looking for. Usually the guides start super basic, explaining what a Square wave is, for instance, and then jump way ahead into patching stuff together without explaining the other basic elements of the synth first.

That will definitely help.

• Members

I had a G2M thingy for a while. Didn't track all that well and didn't send breath control changes, just velocity (it was meant for guitar, after all) so it wasn't very useful for me.

And the Yamaha WX5 has 8 octaves of range and will only be limited by my abilities with it. The Yamaha WX5 and the MoPho are an amazing pair. I also have a Yamaha YX81z but haven't got too deep in programming it yet.

F63LtQeF_gY

• Members

...the editor has a few bits of terminology that I don't quite understand...

I can understand the confusion. That's just bad labeling, imo. A control called "Low Pass" could mean at least three different things.

:thu: Good songs on your site, btw. All original? I like Salty Goth Snacks, good stuff!

After you master the MoPho, you should save up for an Eventide Harmonzer like the bassoon guy with Bela Fleck. It sounds amazing.

But the important thing is: Who's a bassoonist's favorite actress?

Lauren Bocal.

• Members

Thanks man. Yeah, all originals. I do use a harmonizer on the M13 (smart harmony in a key) on one of our tunes. The thing about Paul with his Eventide unit (which was destroyed in a car accident of all things, then 9 years later he buys another off eBay...) is that he spent SO much time programming it and using a foot controller to adjust the harmonies. He had to build a sequence that would fit a musical idea he wanted and had to do that way ahead of time. I just can't see bringing all that gear just for one cool, yet essentially a gimmicky, effect. Don't tell him I said that though. :D

The thing about the MoPho, Between it and the TX81z I have all the synth sounds I want, and it's not even about the sounds for me, it's about learning the new instrument (the MIDI wind controller). The method of playing and fingerings are nothing at all like the bassoon, so it's like learning an entirely new wind instrument for me. I'll probably eventually settle on three or four sounds that I always fall back on, and only go beyond that for special occasions or particular parts for various tunes. If I even use it that much.

• Members

he spent SO much time programming it and using a foot controller to adjust the harmonies.

Huh. I figured he just picked some fixed intervals, then set and forget it.

I'm surprised the WX doesn't let you create your own custom key maps. How dare they not offer a bassoon template! But I suppose, also, that the keys just aren't in the right places.

Pogo97 is right: the world needs a midi bassoon. I'll bet Electric Puppy would build you one...

• Members

Yeah, the bassoon has a completely unique and stupid key system that's very cumbersome. Of course, after 15+ years I'm used to it and feel at home and comfortable with it, but nobody else that isn't a bassoonist would get it at all. It's totally nonsensical. There's really no reason to make a WX fingering system that's more like bassoon. There are four options for fingerings on the WX5: one that's like flute, and three that are variations on saxophone fingerings. I'm using one of the sax fingerings as it's the most useful on that instrument.

I electrify my bassoon and that's enough. If I wanted to get another G2M (they updated the design apparently) I'd just do that. Still no breath control though. I'll stick with the WX5. :-)

Archived