Is Hammond out of the game?

Psychophoria

• Members

Hey everyone.

So, I've been looking for a new keyboard/workstation. I have fond memories of playing my dad's B3 back in the day as a kid, and while searching online, I found Hammond has a line of portable digital organs. (Some with many voices.)

I've gone to three different Guitar Centers in the area, and while they carry great keyboards like the Motif XF8, they don't carry a single Hammond product.

That worries me a bit...

Has Hammond been bought out by the Chinese or something? I noticed on some of their products it says, "Made in Japan"....

I do love the Hammonds, but I fear they may not be what they once were.

I appreciate any input or advice you guys have!​​​​​​​

• Members

Not out of the game but very, very slow at releasing new boards. Remember they want the consoles to all go away at Hammond-Suzuki and like my friends that are techs tell me it will never happen. The original consoles were over-engineered. With regular maintenance they can go years at a time. The digital boards are great but you don't get the presence of the real thing. For the OP where are you located?

• Members

I currently play a Hammond SK2 that I have had for over three years. It is one of the most useful stage keyboards I have ever owned. It has the unique ability to allow you to assign an authentic Hammond organ to the top keyboard and a different keyboard to the bottom, making it a compact multi-keyboard rig in a single unit. You can also assign the organ to both manuals for traditional play. Hammond is continually supporting the SK-series with OS updates and new sounds. And they still offering new versions of their traditional full-size organs and Leslies. Hammond/Suzuki is a leader in the clonewheel field.

3b5bd31be8edde3f376935f552cad076.jpg.b4029e49da5b77b8759fd831fc2f850f.jpg

• Members
Not out of the game but very' date=' very slow at releasing new boards. Remember they want the consoles to all go away at Hammond-Suzuki and like my friends that are techs tell me it will never happen. The original consoles were over-engineered. With regular maintenance they can go years at a time. The digital boards are great but you don't get the presence of the real thing. For the OP where are you located?[/quote']

First of all, a big thank you to everyone that's provided their input on the Hammond Digital series.

I live in Sacramento, California. Seems like the closest place I can play the SK1/SK2 is LA... (7-9 Hour Drive)

Still looking around for the perfect keyboard for me, but still have my heart set on the Hammond.

• Members

And while I've only ever seen it used on one stage broadcast over TV, the Portable B3 is gorgeous. The stand is Aluminum and I'm told that if you're blindfolded and a solid B3 player, you can't tell the difference. Price tag was $16K without Leslies. That was the only thing that moved me elsewhere. (Playing a Roland VK-77 bought used on Ebay. Just fine with it.)

Archived