android based keyboard effect or tutor software?

jason41987

• Members

Most of the companies that make music software for mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc) have not developed much for the Android OS because it's like trying to hit a moving target. Meaning, just because it will work on a Motorola device doesn't mean it will work on a Samsung device. Way too much work for developers to create something that will work on ALL Android devices. That's one reason iPads, iPods, & iPhones have all the apps that they do. You develop for one OS (iOS) and it just works.

And yes I'm typing this on an iPad 2. I also have an iPod Touch. GF has an iPhone. I still use a Blackberry (still another almost forgotten platform) at least until my next upgrade.

• Members

None. If you're serious about making music on a cellphone or tablet, iOS is the only way to go, at least for now.

+1

I love my unrooted year-and-a-half-old dual-core Galaxy S2 and runs silky smooth on the latest Jelly Bean ROM ... It does everything and more I could want on a smartphone ...

But making music on an Android anything? No ... Don't even waste a thought thinking about that today ...

If you're on a budget, find a used iPad 2 if you must make music on a tablet ... I don't really think there's much the 3 improves on really that's germane to music production ...

• Members

I don't really think there's much the 3 improves on really that's germane to music production ...

From what I've seen, so far, the main advantage for the 3 for music production is probably that it's got more RAM (a gigabyte, vs. 512 mb on the 2 and 256 mb on the 1; and in all cases, a bunch of that is gone for the OS and display memory before you do anything). This could be a benefit in some situations. For example, there is an app that lets you trigger soundfonts, but the largest soundfont you can load is limited by your available memory. But yes, there are many good music apps that work fine even on the original iPad.

• Members

I plan on targeting android in the (distant) future with my app.

It's similar to Synthesia, but does a lot more stuff but with a crappier user interface so far.

It's main deal is piano practice.

It currently runs only in Windows.

But it has a built in synth that'll soon be dropping .SF2 support for loading .WAV multisamples.

Patch settings will be config'd in the midi file, rather than in a preset format.

(so control changes on the channel change how the patch's filter cutoff responds to velocity, turns on leslie - stuff like that.)

It's =not= VST based - Have you ever tried to explain VST to a newb? Good luck with THAT...

There's no reason you can't make a beautiful synth on android if you go the NDK c++ route and put only the gui in java.

But I've still got much to do on Windows before I attack a port to android who's GUI is all java based.

My app is currently win32 API and C++ based.

But it IS on my todo list. It'll be at least a year before I get to it.

There's no reason synth makers couldn't get their app to run on android in MY opinion.

And in the not too distant future, I suspect android tablets will blow away the icrap.

We've seen what the iphone5 turned into. I think I'll keep my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, thanks :)

I'm kinda hoping iOS dies a horrible death post Jobs and all the iFanboys will have to crawl back to windows and android.

You can probably tell I'm not a fan of apple.

But it's true that android tablets aren't quiiite ready yet I think.

For one thing, screens are too low res for a notation display.

Archived