FREE YAMAHA DX11 - Chicagoland area

McHale

• Members

Long story, but I found it in someone's trash on the way home tonight. I'll never use it and I'm not sure how long it sat there or if it works. But it's complete and the keys and wheels are smooth.

I would think shipping isn't wise due to cost and the fact I have no idea what's wrong with it. But if you're willing to drive and pick it up, first come first server.

-Mc

• Members

ALL PM's have been responded to.

As far as the DX11, if I were going to have an FM synth, the DX11 would be the one I'd want. - http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/dx11.php

The Kronos does FM very, very nicely and I got rid of most of the gear in my studio that's redundant so even if this thing worked perfectly, I'd end up getting rid of it. But I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to leave a piece of vintage synth gear out for the trash guy to take when I know damn well that each key alone could bring a few bucks a piece on ebay if needed. And I'm sure some of the other working parts are worth something to somebody. So, as a synth nerd who knows what it's like to repair gear, I figured SOMEONE could use the parts in this thing. It didn't cost me anything so someone gets to take advantage of someone else being stupid (not me, the guy that threw it away).

I'll try to tear it down tonight and gets pics. You know how I love to take {censored} apart.

-Mc

• Members

pop her open and let her dry!

Way ahead of you... That started last night. Tonight, everything gets towel dried and douched with contact cleaner. You have no idea how hard I had to fight the urge of plugging it in to see what would happen. It was very difficult.

• Members

Just got home and it powers up but no sounds. COULD be that due to age the battery needs to be replaced and new sounds have to be sysex'd to it. The display lights up and displays characters but they are a little hard to read.

Here's a quick pic I just took as soon as I got home from work:

WP_000183.jpg

• Members

Yep. I grabbed a bunch of Yamaha DX SYSEX files and loaded them in like they were meant for the Kronos. Coolest thing ever. The first patch I loaded up out of respect was the defacto standard "DX RHODES" patch (which sound nothing like a Rhodes but was used on every CD made in the 80's there for a while).

I'm hoping it finds a good home too. I'd hate to throw it back in the trash because nobody wanted to take it home and love it. :(

• Members

pm('s) sent! I know I'm not a forum regular but I promise my home is a good one!

SharkMinusBear sold me his DSI Tetra through this forum a couple years ago and I've been looking for a new controller since the aftertouch on my QS6.1 crapped out. Ended up getting some hands-on experience with another (dumber) DX recently and kind of fell for the unique FM vibe, so the DX11 seemed like the perfect answer for both needs.

If there's limited or even zero functionality with this one I'd still love to grab it; it'd likely be cheaper to fix up than buying a functioning DX11.

I'll be in Chicago proper tomorrow evening but I'm willing and able to hit any suburbs as well.

Archived