Zero-G NOSTALGIA convert to Kronos samples?

Klondo

• Members

Hello. About 5 years ago I bought the Zero-G Nostalgia DVD. This version is the kontact plugin. it requires the plugin to work. I really love the samples on this DVD and would like to be able to use them in my Kronos. I do not want to go instrument by instrument to sample from this plugin because it takes too long and i dont know who to sample and loop very good.

Zero-G no longer has that version anymore. They have this version.

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=916

Do you know if I can buy this and convert the instruments to a format that Kronos can read? It says Kontack. Do i need to use software to use/run these samples or can I have them to do what I want, to convert to use in Kronos?

thanks. I hope this makes sense. I might post this in the korg forum also.

• Members

Hello. About 5 years ago I bought the Zero-G Nostalgia DVD. This version is the kontact plugin. it requires the plugin to work. I really love the samples on this DVD and would like to be able to use them in my Kronos. I do not want to go instrument by instrument to sample from this plugin because it takes too long and i dont know who to sample and loop very good.

Zero-G no longer has that version anymore. They have this version.

Do you know if I can buy this and convert the instruments to a format that Kronos can read? It says Kontack. Do i need to use software to use/run these samples or can I have them to do what I want, to convert to use in Kronos?

thanks. I hope this makes sense. I might post this in the korg forum also.

You could always sample the Zero G patches using Extreme Sample Converter, then convert them to SF2 which Kronos reads

• Members

You'll just need to map them yourself, but from what I remember the mapping isn't exactly complicated for this product.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, whether or not the mapping is complicated has nothing to do with Zero-G, it's a question of how complicated it is to do the mapping on the other side... in this case, on the Kronos. All Zero-G is giving you are the wavs, I don't think they give you any mapping facility at all, you need to have some other software or device to do the "you'll just need to map them yourself" part.

So I think the answer here is to build SF2 (soundfont) files out of the wavs, because there are readily available tools to do that, and Kronos can read SF2 files.

• Members

Unless I am misunderstanding something, whether or not the mapping is complicated has nothing to do with Zero-G, it's a question of how complicated it is to do the mapping on the other side... in this case, on the Kronos. All Zero-G is giving you are the wavs, I don't think they give you any mapping facility at all, you need to have some other software or device to do the "you'll just need to map them yourself" part.

So I think the answer here is to build SF2 (soundfont) files out of the wavs, because there are readily available tools to do that, and Kronos can read SF2 files.

Zero-G is giving you WAVs and NKIs. And NKIs hold the mapping information. ESC can convert NKIs to whatever.

• Members

are you sure about this from reading the link/page on Zero-g? I was not sure if the NKI's required Kontact. thanks

Yes, this quote states it:

"LATEST NEWS: The NI-powered plugin (virtual instrument) version of Nostalgia on DVD is no longer available. However, the entire Nostalgia sample library (without the Native Instruments Kompakt plugin) is available to purchase by Download in WAV/Kontakt format which can be used with a full version of Kontakt or with any music software that can use WAV files. More information HERE."

And yes, NKI is Kontakt's format, but some sample converter programs can read it.

• Members

Yes, this quote states it:

"
LATEST NEWS: The NI-powered plugin (virtual instrument) version of Nostalgia on DVD is no longer available. However, the entire
Nostalgia
sample library (without the Native Instruments
Kompakt
plugin) is available to purchase by Download in WAV/Kontakt format which can be used with a full version of Kontakt or with any music software that can use WAV files. More information
"

And yes, NKI is Kontakt's format, but some sample converter programs can read it.

thanks so much. i think i might go ahead and get it. Im wondering if they did the samples strait with no effects or filters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've looked into this a bit more, and I see that Nostalgia actually supplies the sounds in multiple formats: KONTAKT, EXS24, and Reason NN-XT. Chicken Systems Translator can convert all three of those formats into soundfont, which you can load into Kronos. I wonder how seamless this is... i.e. whether it's as straight-forward as that, or if you will still need to do additional finessing of the sounds on the Kronos side. Has anyone here done that kind of conversion? As opposed to straight WAV files, I assume the KONTAKT/EXS24/Reason NN-XT formatted Nostalgia files include mapping, loops, and velocity switch points where applicable, yes? Would all of these be maintained properly through the conversion to soundfont and into Kronos?

Archived